Looks like Alex Smith is signed

Rubes

Six-Year Deal with 49ers

Hopefully we'll see everybody else falling in line now...

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, looks like the Pats have all 7 draft picks signed now. Sigh.

389901[/snapback]

Ya know, after reading this you really cannot get that pissed at TO. This punk, who may or may not produce, is guaranteed more money than TO, or for that matter just about anyone in the league. Just would not sit right with me if i was a a top player as well.

Seems to me the NBA and no even the NHL are way above the NFL in making sure rookies need to prove it before making more than the established stars.

The NFL should just cut the rookie salary cap in half. There is simply no reason why some guy, even the top pick, should get 50 million. He should get half that, and then after five years, if he's good, he signs a huge deal. If he sucks, he's made at least 25 mil and probably someone else will give him a chance at a few million more. Then just give the teams the rest of the money to spend on veterans and guys that have proved they belong, especially players that signed small rookie deals that have suddenly been starters and productive.

I agree, there shoudl be no "rookie pool" it should be a straight up rookie contract limit...you could structure is based on rounf or something, but theres no way a kid coming out of college deserves 50 mil, with 24 of it guaranteed...and with that big of a signing bonus, you can bet your azz thats hes gonna see most of that 50 mil as well...