(OT) Where is the "sweet spot"

DeeRay

My parents retired to western North Carolina 10 years ago. The Asheville / Hendersonville area. They love it. Low taxes, none of the BS you get with Charlotte, it's in the mountians so it's cooler than the rest of the south, you get a change of seasons including some snow, and it's absolutely wonderful.

Low taxes, too.

Another one is to purchase a Motor Home and take turns visiting your kids and staying in their driveway! It's great revenge!

:D

389486[/snapback]

I immediately thought of Eddie from Christmas Vacation :):);):lol:

My parents retired to western North Carolina 10 years ago. The Asheville / Hendersonville area. They love it. Low taxes, none of the BS you get with Charlotte, it's in the mountians so it's cooler than the rest of the south, you get a change of seasons including some snow, and it's absolutely wonderful.

Low taxes, too.

390417[/snapback]

Just beautiful there. Nice college town as well so plenty of arts and entertainment and good food and good beer

Just beautiful there. Nice college town as well so plenty of arts and entertainment and good food and good beer

390514[/snapback]

Shh...dang it - don't tell everybody...Oh, goddammit...Asheville rocks!

Charles

Shh...dang it - don't tell everybody...Oh, goddammit...Asheville rocks!

Charles

390659[/snapback]

Just don't venture too far west toward Old Fort or Marion. Unless you LIKE the sounds of banjos playing in the background of your squeeling life.

My brother/his family and my sister moved to Wilmington, NC. Perfect place to go.

Or you could try Hemet, CA. They just got a Dunkin' Donuts display in the 7-11. And that's kinda sweet.

Just don't venture too far west toward Old Fort or Marion. Unless you LIKE the sounds of banjos playing in the background of your squeeling life.

My brother/his family and my sister moved to Wilmington, NC. Perfect place to go.

Or you could try Hemet, CA. They just got a Dunkin' Donuts display in the 7-11. And that's kinda sweet.

390674[/snapback]

Go to Hemet for the swimming pool culture.

Dump all three and chose either of the Dakota's or Wyoming. Low taxes, great people and honest politicians (now that Tom Daschle has moved on). Unfortunately the winters are much worse than Buffalo; not as much snow, but DAMN cold. Bone cold, colder than a well diggers ass in January.

Retiring in 9 yrs.  As a lifelong NYS resident I can not wait to exit this cesspool of corrupt politicians and the highest taxed state in the USA, bar none.

So, where do I go?  I will still work some... either self employed or other. Mrs. Deeray hates snakes (can't figure out why she married me), so moving to a place where there are lots of snakes around is not going to work.

Right now, I'm thinking Delaware, Tenessee, and Alabama, in that order.

I'm basically looking for low taxes, much lower C.O.L than in NY, low crime rate, not too hot,  and much less snow than in CNY.

So, is there a "sweet spot"???  If so, where?

389318[/snapback]

Kinda jumping the gun a little aren't we? Alot could change in nine years. My brother moved to rural Kansas and loves it there. The slow country life with neighborly people. Low taxes. Four seasons, but the winters are shorter and milder. The summers are hotter.