Football Camps

Zona

My son is going to a 1 day football camp today run by Anquan Boldin of the Cardinals here in Phoenix. Is it appropriate to ask for autographs either before or after the camp?

Update----

We just got back from the camp, and it was a HUGE disappointment. :unsure::angry: I believed it to be a camp where the kids would do some drills run by NFL players, giving them some pointers. Maybe some Passing drills, Route running drills, Blocking drills, RB drills.

Instead, they did 10 mins of drills, then broke up into 6 teams and played flag football for the day in a round robin Tournament. Now, Flag Football is ok, if they had said thats what it would be. They didnt. My kid is a LINEMAN in every meaning of the word. Big, Slow, and kinda Clumsy. Flag Football is not good for him. So he played very few plays, and never touched the ball. Typical stuff, and not unexpected. I am not the typical parent, complaining "my kid didnt play. It's not fair to little Johnny" crap. I had hoped he would get some techniques and pointers on fundamentals and basic O-line play today. Not stand around and watch a Flag football game.

Oh and for the record. Anquan Boldin, Bryant Johnson, and Tony Macklin were there today from the Cards. And all they did was referee the games. No instruction. No tips. No teaching. Just big kids watching the little kids. 0:)

Oh well. He has a 5 day camp in 2 weeks run by a local high school coach. Maybe he will get the help he wants there.

Update----

We just got back from the camp, and it was a HUGE disappointment.  :unsure:  :angry:  I believed it to be a camp where the kids would do some drills run by NFL  players, giving them some pointers. Maybe some Passing drills, Route running drills, Blocking drills, RB drills.

Instead, they did 10 mins of drills, then broke up into 6 teams and played flag football for the day in a round robin Tournament. Now, Flag Football is ok, if they had said thats what it would be. They didnt. My kid is a LINEMAN in every meaning of the word. Big, Slow, and kinda Clumsy. Flag Football is not good for him. So he played very few plays, and never touched the ball. Typical stuff, and not unexpected. I am not the typical parent, complaining "my kid didnt play. It's not fair to little Johnny" crap. I had hoped he would get some techniques and pointers on fundamentals and basic O-line play today. Not stand around and watch a Flag football game.

Oh and for the record. Anquan Boldin, Bryant Johnson, and Tony Macklin were there today from the Cards. And all they did was referee the games. No instruction. No tips. No teaching. Just big kids watching the little kids.  0:)

Oh well. He has a 5 day camp in 2 weeks run by a local high school coach. Maybe he will get the help he wants there.

388888[/snapback]

Christ, that sucks. It must've been hot as hell, too, no?

Christ, that sucks. It must've been hot as hell, too, no?

388889[/snapback]

Oh yeah, thanks LA. The Camp was listed as an INDOOR all day thing. Instead, we were in the Gym for 5 mins, then outside for the rest of the day. Its only 109* today, so its not TOO hot for back to back to back football games. Is it?

Christ. 21 poeple died this week here in Phx from the heat, and we were outside playing Football....

hehe  that would be a no....

he said he didn't even want to ask for it.

389047[/snapback]

Well, let this be his introduction on why he shouldn't ever have soft spot in his heart for the Cards. Even if they're the local team, and even if their play inspires weeping pathos. :doh::)

Hope your son gets some kind of instruction from the h.s. coach, and I'd bet he will. If there's nothing for linemen instruction, you might mosey over to the coach and ask him about it. People who do these things for love of the game tend to do better than those who are doing it for the $/NFL brandname promotion.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE--

My son started his week long camp run by one of the local High Schools last night, and it was great. They split all the kids up into positional groups and worked on drills specific to them. High school coaching for my 8th grader is EXACTLY what I wanted. Let him see what it takes, get his feet wet, and then spend the next year getting in shape and ready for freshman year.

This was much more beneficial than that crap from Anquan Boldin...