O-line prediction

Zona

I predict that by the 9/11 opener against Houston, Duke Preston will be the starter at Center, and Teague will be the LT.

Preston should be better at center than Gandy at LT. I think Gandy will be a disappointment, thus forcing the Bills to move Teague. That means The Duke will hold court on 9/11.

Of course, I could be wrong. You know what the say about opinions, dont you?

I predict that by the 9/11 opener against Houston, Duke Preston will be the starter at Center, and Teague will be the LT.

Preston should be better at center than Gandy at LT. I think Gandy will be a disappointment, thus forcing the Bills to move Teague. That means The Duke will hold court on 9/11.

Of course, I could be wrong. You know what the say about opinions, dont you?

388527[/snapback]

I asked about this to based on the success of late round picks at centrer as of late. Daniel Koppen of the Patriots was a 4th round pick, Justin Hartwig of the Titans was a 5th rounder I think and I know he is not with them anymore, but Jason Ball started many games for the Chargers and he wadn't even drafted.

I assume

Gangy - LT - he'll surprise

Anderson - LG - big for running game, I'll keep my fingers crossed for the passing game

Teague - C - surprised me last year and I expect good things with continuity

Villearial - RG - love this guy

Williams - RT - expect a big jump in production to pro bowl level

If Gandy struggles early look for Gandy to goto RT and Williams to LT.

Of course I could be wrong. You know what they say about assumptions, don't you?

There will be at least one projected starter who is injured in camp and misses significant camp time, and a few Regular Season games.

This will force us to look for some veteran depth on the waiver wire.

Bennie Anderson will come in out of shape and slightly disappoint but will regain the starting LG role by game 4.

The opening game line will be:

LT Scott Gragg (stop gap- I know he's a RT)..

LG Mike Gandy

C Ross Tucker

RG Chris V

RT Big Mike

By Game 4 it will be

LT Trey Teague

LG Bennie Anderson

C Ross Tucker

RG Chris V

RT Big Mike

With Scott Gragg first tackle off the bench; Mike Gandy first G off the bench; Duke Preston first C off the bench.

My thoughts haven't changed too much since this thread.

However, I wouldn't be shocked to see Tucker's name to be replaced with Greg Jerman who can play both OG and OT and be more valuable. Tucker might be a better player but with us so thin at OT think it more important to have someone like Jerman. My "UDFA to be named later" I suspect will be a cast off from another team.

John Stossel?

I asked about this to based on the success of late round picks at centrer as of late. Daniel Koppen of the Patriots was a 4th round pick, Justin Hartwig of the Titans was a 5th rounder I think and I know he is not with them anymore, but Jason Ball started many games for the Chargers and he wadn't even drafted.

388530[/snapback]

while it's all fun and games to speculate at this point, the truth is that none of us know jack schitt.

that said, i think four of the OL starters are pretty much set and there's not a whole lot to talk about:

RT - williams

RG - villareal

C - teague

LG - anderson

i just don't think the bills would put a rookie C out there w/ a 2nd year QB. too much inexperience at the two most important positions, communication-wise, on the offense.

at LT, the bills are saying it's gandy's position to lose. that may or may not be true. i'm looking forward to the first preseason game to see who trots out w/ the first unit.

I don't understand why so many people think Trey Teague is a good LT. He was strictly the product of a system at Denver, where the Broncos made no effort to re-sign him when he became a free agent. Gandy started exactly as many games at LT for the Bears, and much more recently, as Teague did for the Broncs.

Moving Teague will give us a rookie at center and a guy who hasn't played LT in 4 years, plus a new guy in Anderson. I think for continuity, and to play guys where they are best suited, that Teague stays at center - for at least one more year - and Gandy plays LT.

I don't understand why so many people think Trey Teague is a good LT. He was strictly the product of a system at Denver, where the Broncos made no effort to re-sign him when he became a free agent. Gandy started exactly as many games at LT for the Bears, and much more recently, as Teague did for the Broncs.

Moving Teague will give us a rookie at center and a guy who hasn't played LT in 4 years, plus a new guy in Anderson. I think for continuity, and to play guys where they are best suited, that Teague stays at center - for at least one more year -  and Gandy plays LT.

388703[/snapback]

Tucker will be the opening day center, not Preston. Preston will be eased into the job, not thrown into the fire. Drum Gandy will never start a game for the Bills. If not Teague, then McFarland, Peters, or even Sobieski or Smith may emerge in camp to beat out Drum.

I expect McFarland or Peters to end up ahead of Gandy on the depth chart. Gandy may not even make the team.

Our #1 pick next year is definitely an OT.

My main concern with Gandy, is that he hasn't played for a while, and he is injury prone. kinda like a lesser version of Jonas.

Wasn't Gandy out of football last year? I dont want to rely on a guy who was injured in '03, sat out '04 because NO ONE wanted him, and along come the Bills to say "he is our Starting LT and we expect to make the Playoffs"...

It makes me Nervous Guy 2.

Moving Teague will give us a rookie at center and a guy who hasn't played LT in 4 years, plus a new guy in Anderson. I think for continuity, and to play guys where they are best suited, that Teague stays at center - for at least one more year -  and Gandy plays LT.

388703[/snapback]

People have been steadily hyping things up in their own minds to where it's "Teague would be a great LT and would be the answer to our problems but for the fact that he's too valuable as an all-world center."

Years ago he was a viable but below-average LT in Denver, and now is turning into a good center here. You keep him at center, end of story.

My main concern with Gandy, is that he hasn't played for a while, and he is injury prone. kinda like a lesser version of Jonas.

Wasn't Gandy out of football last year?  I dont want to rely on a guy who was injured in '03, sat out '04 because NO ONE wanted him, and along come the Bills to say "he is our Starting LT and we expect to make the Playoffs"...

It makes me Nervous Guy 2.

388718[/snapback]

Here is Gandy's 2004 season:

2004: Started the season as the Bears starting right guard and started five games at the position: vs. Det (9/12), at GB (9/19), vs. Phi (10/3); vs. Wash (10/17), and at TB (10/24) before being released by the Bears on 11/8/04.

From everything I've heard about the guy, he may be an adequate guard, but he's overmatched at LT. It's still a long way to opening day. If Gandy is our LT, we're in the same boat as the year The Condo, Jerry Crafts, opened the season as our starting RT after Ballard left. I expect that we'll be better than that & Gandy is only the starter on paper as of pre-pre-season.

388703[/snapback]

I don't think Teague will be an good/average left tackle, but he may be the best we have. As for C--we wouldn't have Preston at C it would be Tucker--who started several games there last year (Most of which we won and he graded out well) when Teague was injured.

I don't think I haven't read anyone who wrote that Teague will be a great LT as you suggest that people think--but again, he may be the best we have.....He and Gandy are the two most experienced at the position we have..

Our lack of veteran depth on the OL scares me more than anything--I was disappointed when TD said this past week that the roster going into training camp was set--we need to go out and get one more veteran tackle (Gragg, Vegas Verba, someone) and then hope we are relatively healthy....

Guest BackInDaDay

On opening day, in obvious passing downs, Dom Capers will rotate his D to JP's right side, and ask his LDE get upfield to contain roll-out/sprint passes from the right-handed QB. He will also come with a combination of pressures off JP's left side to contain any retreat. A great example of this type of D was Philly vs Atlanta in last year's playoff where Jevon Kearse was disciplined enough to keep outside containment on Vick, forcing him back inside to face pressure.

MM and TC knew that opposing Ds would gameplan their young, athletic QB this way the second they released Bledsoe. They already have good O gameplans to attack the D in these situations, but do they have the personnel on the O-line to execute them?

How productive Mouse's line is in these situations, facing Houston's aggressive D, will tell us all alot about where our O line is and what they're capable of.

So here's my 'we're doomed' prediction.

I don't think we have a talented enough LT on our roster to protect JP's blind-side and keep him healthy the entire season.

He goes down in week one, and TD's fired mid-season. :unsure: