NHL Rule Changes

PTS

WGR 550: Click Here For Rule Changes and the New Scheduling Format

SHOOTOUTS:

Every game will have a winner, no more ties. I don't like this at all.

NO MORE RED LINE:

They are saying the red line will be removed, which I think is stupid. Why are they doing that? Just don't call the two-line passes. You need the red line for icing.

TAG UP IS BACK:

Tagging up is back. This is good.

LIMIT AREA BEHIND THE NET:

Goals two feet closer to the end boards, goalie equipment will be smaller.

NEW NHL LOGO:

Looks like the league has a brand new logo as well, the logo is black and silver.

OPENING NIGHT:

October 5th, all 30 teams playing.

OTHER:

They're going to actually call all the penalties to rid the league of clutching and grabing, until the playoffs that is, where anything goes.

20 TEAMS IN PLAYOFFS (RUMORED):

Looks like after this season, the NHL will go to a 20 Team Playoff Format. 10 teams per conference. #7 plays #10 and #8 plays #9 in a play-in best of three series.

press conference notes

rules changes:

OT changes to a shootout after ot period. NO TIES!!!

no centerline

tag up offsides

pushed nets back 2 feet

reduce goalie equipment

"stricker enforcement" (yeah right) of obstruction

more conference games

olympics next year and 2010

no all star game in olympic years

Buffalo Sabres awarded the 1999 stanley cup (just kidding... pay attention!)

CBA ratified 30-0

playoffs stay at 16 teams

rhetoric

rhetoric

rhetoric

season starts october 5

Q & A session:

buttman "won't be going anywhere"

collin campbell gives crap about how the rules will be enforced. He looks like vinegar right now, cause he's a douche.

buttman asked about revenue sharing and he deflected it away to a later time.

Question was asked about the win/loss point system, but my tsn webcast froze for a sec maybe mr. clutch has that info

update:

2 points for a regulation, OT or shootout win

1 point for an ot or shootout loss

0 points for a regulation period loss.

goalies can only play puck in a designated trapezoid area behind net. see link

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/cba/rules_changes072205.html

JOSH MORA WITH A QUESTION haha

bettman states that the playoff format will remain the same until further notice.

Shootout ot format is for REG. season only, leaving the playoff OT format, 5 on 5 full periods till someone scores

NO MORE RED LINE:

They are saying the red line will be removed, which I think is stupid. Why are they doing that? Just don't call the two-line passes. You need the red line for icing.

388287[/snapback]

I'm happy about this change. It should open up the middle of the ice and negate the NZ trap. I think we might even see the return of the brakeaway or even the 2-on-1 (anybody under the age of 30 remember those?).

Hell yes, AWESOME changes!

Shootouts will be amazing. Something that I've wanted done for years. Passes from blue line to blue line will be great to see. Touch up offsides, and no more icing the puck to get a line change!

Yeah, nothing better than an individual gimmick to decide a team sport. :lol:

Seriously, if they want to use shootouts to determine games, then a "real" win should be worth three points and a shootout win should be worth 2 to the winner and one to the loser.

It's a tough concept, apparently.

Yeah, nothing better than an individual gimmick to decide a team sport.  :lol:

Seriously, if they want to use shootouts to determine games, then a "real" win should be worth three points and a shootout win should be worth 2 to the winner and one to the loser.

It's a tough concept, apparently.

388329[/snapback]

I agree...Gimmick is the only word that comes to mind. Though, if it helps the sport, I can deal with it.

I agree...Gimmick is the only word that comes to mind.  Though, if it helps the sport, I can deal with it.

388333[/snapback]

The only thing that this will do is get more air-time on sportscenters.

Will shootout goals count as goals?

Damn, I really hate this idea.

388338[/snapback]

Nah, theres no way you can lump in shootout goals with reg season goals, or point totals...maybe just have an extra category for most shoot goals, but they should be completely separated...

388338[/snapback]

from what i heard from the PC, if a game is tied 3-3, the OT passes, and you're in the shootout, the final score will be 4-3 to the team that scores the most goals. One goal is awarded even if the shootout is 15-14. With that reasoning, if satan scored 38 shootout goals, that will have to be a different statistic than reg. season goals.

This may be an ignorant question - but what was the point of having the two line pass rule anyway - to prevent "cherry picking"?

those of u saying u dont like the shootout and all this, u guys like ties or something??? ties are absolutely retarted! its pointless to play and end up with a tie. the shootout is a great idea. i agree with all of these changes! finally making some sense! GO AVS!

edited for grammar and content:

Those of you who state that you don't like the shootout must like ties.  Ties are absolutely retarted!  It's pointless to end up with a tie.  The shootout is a great idea.  I agree with all of these changes!  Finally, this is making some sense!  GO SABRES!

388347[/snapback]

Ok, I'm a bit aloof, but what exactly is tag up offsides?

388534[/snapback]

The offensive players who preceed the puck into the zone can leave the zone (thereby resetting) provided they don't touch the puck. Play continues. It's a great rule and eliminates at least a dozen offsides per game.

The offensive players who preceed the puck into the zone can leave the zone (thereby resetting) provided they don't touch the puck.  Play continues.  It's a great rule and eliminates at least a dozen offsides per game.

388537[/snapback]

Oh, that is a great rule change!

I also think that you nailed it when you suggested 2 points for a shootout winner and 1 point for the loser.

Get 'er done lawn gnome!