NHLPA ratifies CBA!!!

going to be a VERY exciting off-season if your a hockey fan.......the transaction wire is going to be loaded day after day after day with major moves.........just looking at some of these rosters raises a lot of trade, free agent, and buyout questions.......

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=6926

some teams that have been building a young base are really set up (ex. buffalo, edmonton) and others are already in the hole with little young talent (ex. toronto, detroit).........

Right about this time is when the Rangers' lottery balls go in the freezer, I'd suspect.

387406[/snapback]

Time to fly Crosby to NYC tonight, make out his uniform tomorrow morning, and coach him the rest of the afternoon on how to look "shocked" when the Rangers get him.

press conference notes:

first guy to ask a question from buffalo... asks about competitive balance... salary cap will balance the league.

bettman and goodenow will be friends... [i think gary likes to spoon bob]

Teams will work together under the league, as opposed to seperate entities under the league.

goodenow expects to continue to lead nhlpa. looking forward to working under new cba.

bettman expects to continue to lead nhl... simple "sure" answer.

88% vote in favor of ratification of about 550 total players

BG admitted to basically not agreeing to a cap but changing his mind over the course of the lockout.

"outset"... god i miss that good old canadian accent!

dennis williams asks about the procedure to ratify... BG explains that it was just a brief and a Q+A over the past day. Discussions this morning again, including players not present. voting from 10am to 3pm today.

1995 deal compared as being better for the owners than the players. current deal is better than the one offered in february (BG). Current cba will be better for both owners and players than the old one.

espnews cuts away at that point. maybe soneone watching CBC can fill in the rest.

my thoughts:

This was the normal cut and dry "i like the deal" cookie cutter press conference. The only actual interesting thing i got from that was the answers to the question "will you stay on as leader of the nhl/nhlpa". Bob goodenow gave a good "i'm under contract/i want to continue what i've been doing." answer. Bettman's answer was a blank look, a 2 second delay, and a shrug the shoulders "sure". VERY telling.

melrose is stating that they're taking away the 2 line offsides rule, goalie pads will be reduced. NHL will feel more like the game of the 70's, or olympic games.

again, someone with cbc could continue the notes...

EDIT: got the webcast from tsn.ca... buttman is stating that the draft lottery ball pick will be supervised by earnst and young... I'm sure they won't have a problem with some balls being ping pong balls and some being deer shot.

Time to fly Crosby to NYC tonight, make out his uniform tomorrow morning, and coach him the rest of the afternoon on how to look "shocked" when the Rangers get him.

387438[/snapback]

No kidding.

And I know I said it before, but I'm still assed that every team gets at least one ball. To give it any semblance of fairness, any team that has made the playoffs in each of the last three years should have NO chance to get Crosby. NONE.

No kidding.

And I know I said it before, but I'm still assed that every team gets at least one ball.  To give it any semblance of fairness, any team that has made the playoffs in each of the last three years should have NO chance to get Crosby.  NONE.

387456[/snapback]

I'm cool with the current lottery format FOR THIS YEAR ONLY. After this year, the draft should be ordered by record, like the NFL. That's the only legitimate way of doing it. The rangers should get the first pick, not cause they have 52 balls, but because they suck, just like the 49ers. Why chance the tampa bay lightning or detroit red wings getting the #1 pick every year? keep the lottery for this year, just cause everything is FUBAR, but after this year, base the order on record and playoff results.

Sabres fan here ...I dont like the Rangers at all...but they do have the "best chance" along with BUF, CMBS, and PITT to get Cro$by correct?

How exactly is that so rigged?

You want rigged? if MTL or TOR get him, there is more of a case there IMO to cry about a rig job.

Sabres dont get him, they dont get him, Im not gonna whine about a fix, unless its Toronto of course :P

Sabres fan here ...I dont like the Rangers at all...but they do have the "best chance" along with BUF, CMBS, and PITT to get Cro$by correct?

How exactly is that so rigged?

You want rigged?  if MTL or TOR get him, there is more of a case there IMO to cry about a rig job.

Sabres dont get him, they dont get him, Im not gonna whine about a fix, unless its Toronto of course  :P

387532[/snapback]

How is it "rigged"? There's been talk in hockey circles that the entire system will be rigged so that the rangers get the #1 pick overall... You can rig a pingpong ball system by simply having the balls you want to come out of the hole be the lightest (the rangers balls). That's what allegedly happened when the NY knicks got patrick ewing in the 80's. Jeremy roenick has actually come out and said the thing will be rigged. Also, the lottery will take place behind closed doors without the presence of cameras or an independent party (yea yea, earnst and young will be there, but the warren report also said oswald was the lone gunman). The fans want to see this thing so we can be sure that no team will get screwed. The only real way we'll all know that it WAS NOT rigged would be if a team other than the rangers (the largest TV market in the country, where every 0.001 neilson rating counts for the nhl) got the first pick. Tune into TSN in canada, or espn news in america tomorrow at 4. Oh yeah, toronto will blow goat with or without sidney crosby, so that part of your statment won't even matter.

How is it "rigged"?  There's been talk in hockey circles that the entire system will be rigged so that the rangers get the #1 pick overall...  You can rig a pingpong ball system by simply having the balls you want to come out of the hole be the lightest (the rangers balls).  That's what allegedly happened when the NY knicks got patrick ewing in the 80's.  Jeremy roenick has actually come out and said the thing will be rigged.  Also, the lottery will take place behind closed doors without the presence of cameras or an independent party (yea yea, earnst and young will be there, but the warren report also said oswald was the lone gunman).  The fans want to see this thing so we can be sure that no team will get screwed.  The only real way we'll all know that it WAS NOT rigged would be if a team other than the rangers (the largest TV market in the country, where every 0.001 neilson rating counts for the nhl) got the first pick.  Tune into TSN in canada, or espn news in america tomorrow at 4.  Oh yeah, toronto will blow goat with or without sidney crosby, so that part of your statment won't even matter.

387618[/snapback]

Please cite examples besides Roenick (and based on some of his outlandish comments, his comments needs to be taken with a grain of salt)...you have sources? Besides talk radio and other fans?

What does Patrick Ewing have to do with the NHL Lottery?

So its ONLY rigged if the New York Rangers get him, thats it? Cannot be rigged for anyone else? How can you be so sure? What evidence is there to back this claim?

If our Sabres get it, its not rigged, even though they have the SAME exact chance as the Rangers? isnt it possible that maybe the Rangers will get it legitimatlly or has Pardon the Interruption or some other sports show that brainwashes fans making people think otherwise???

This whole rigged thing has ticked me off big time! I am fed up with idiot Ranger haters who want to talk about 'fixes.'

If it was so fixed, they wouldn't have changed from closed doors to a live press conference.

And if it were indeed fixed, a successful team like the Devils, Avs, Wings, Flyers, Sens, Leafs or Lightning would wind up with Crosby.

Because any team with 1 lottery ball has less than a 2 pct chance. And how exactly would that look if that happened?

I'll tell ya what. If it does happen that way, I will not be as passionate about the game ever again.

If it was so fixed, they wouldn't have changed from closed doors to a live press conference.

387694[/snapback]

The lottery itself will still be behind closed doors. The press conference is just to announce the order.

As I said before, I'm more pissed that teams who OUGHT to have a legitimate (read: more than 6%) chance to get Crosby have had their odds significantly diluted by the presence of EVERY team in the lottery, even the friggin Devils, Avs, Stars, Wings, etc.

The lottery itself will still be behind closed doors.  The press conference is just to announce the order.

As I said before, I'm more pissed that teams who OUGHT to have a legitimate (read:  more than 6%) chance to get Crosby have had their odds significantly diluted by the presence of EVERY team in the lottery, even the friggin Devils, Avs, Stars, Wings, etc.

387709[/snapback]

I agree.

There should also be some protection for the teams with the best "chance"...perhaps teams with 3 balls cannot fall past #10 overall...teams with 2 balls cannot go past #20 overall....thats what bothers me even more..that Buffalo could slide to 30

The lottery itself will still be behind closed doors.  The press conference is just to announce the order.

As I said before, I'm more pissed that teams who OUGHT to have a legitimate (read:  more than 6%) chance to get Crosby have had their odds significantly diluted by the presence of EVERY team in the lottery, even the friggin Devils, Avs, Stars, Wings, etc.

387709[/snapback]

Its doesnt say anything about being behind closed doors. It doesnt say anything about a press conference.

It says watch the lottery live.

Nevermind, I just read what you said on Yahoo sports. That is sneaky. :P .

387709[/snapback]

Bingo! That's what I have been saying from the very beginning.

Please cite examples besides Roenick (and based on some of his outlandish comments, his comments needs to be taken with a grain of salt)...you have sources?  Besides talk radio and other fans?

What does Patrick Ewing have to do with the NHL Lottery?

So its ONLY rigged if the New York Rangers get him, thats it?  Cannot be rigged for anyone else?  How can you be so sure?  What evidence is there to back this claim?

If our Sabres get it, its not rigged, even though they have the SAME exact chance as the Rangers?  isnt it possible that maybe the Rangers will get it legitimatlly or has Pardon the Interruption or some other sports show that brainwashes fans making people think otherwise???

387686[/snapback]

I'd have to dig for my sources... they're buried in my history and i'll get to that tomorrow... Isn't a member of the NHLPA a good enough source for you to at least put a slight shadow of doubt over you? I'm simply suggesting that the entire thing be shown so that the NHL baffoonery of the past can stay in the past. I don't watch Pardon the interruption by the way.