How would you define being a cancer?

Some posters has referred to Henry as a cancer while some of us disagree. In my view. Henry certainly grew to be a pouty petulant child about this, but was far away from being what I would call a cancer. TH was an idiot as a Bill (and I am glad he was such a poor fiscal manager that he bought us an extra year of owning him on the cheap) but he did not reach what I consider the definition of a player being a cancer which in my mind is:

1. A player whose public actions or comments or his persona among his teammates becomes a distraction which detracts or distracts from the team winning.

2. A player who simply punches the clock and collects a paycheck while not playing hard or like a pro.

In my mind Henry was not a cancer because he never was a team leader or ever had much of a prescence that his poor plsy last year was any distraction at all. Beyong maybe giving TH a start against the Ravens when WM had clearly gotten a giddyup back in his game did TH ever stop WM from playing when WM was ready to go. TH started (and did not produce) in the first 4 games because WM was not ready to start yet because even as he season went on one slowly sae WM getting confidence in his knee.

Henry was not a cancer last season at all because he did not spread dissension (how could he crdibly when it was clear WM was the better player) but silently sat there and pouted leaving those who claimed he was a cancet to try to claim his bofy language was bad.

TH was a child and not a positive force but he was never the negative force of a true cancer.

Folks might have a better case to make on the second point that though TH did not infect the rest of the team like a cancer, his own production clearly was down. However, even in this case, his production dropped from very good (when he rushed for 1300+ two years in a row) to average at best wotj a couple of bad plays at very bad times.

However, even this downturn came after he had been quite productive for a year in 2003 working on a very very bad O,

If he had gone into this season and held out and remained at home then perhaps he would then deserve the cancer rap (though I still think many of his teammates would have said so what along as WM could play). However, the fact he did not pull these shenanigans until after the season ended and clearly he had a working re;ationship with TD when his agent did TD's work for him and sniffed out intial offers was him playing ball to meet our needs because they coincided with his rather than being a cancer and hurting himself just to hurt the team.

Labeling TH a cancer is simply too strong and gives bit too much credit to this man who reacted like a boy to the WM pick.

I'd define a cancer as someone who

A. Someone who has a big mouth, talks a lot of trash, BUT doesn't go out and perform ala Freddie Mitchell

B. Someone who flat out quits on their team, shows marginal interest only when they want to ala Randy Moss

I don't think of Henry as a cancer, so much as I think of him as a pre cancerous lesion. I think if we didn't trade or cut henry one pre season rolled around the whining and bitching would've gotten a lot worse, and even though he was relegated to a backup role, his words could have cause a negative ripple effect on us signing future free agents or caused a rift between teammates and make it all about henry instead of moving foward and making it all about the buffalo bills. With this trade the pre cancerous lesion never becomes malignant.

Travis was a productive back who tried his best in 02-03, and performed hurt, however faced with the challenge of having to beat out another player, and even having an additional chance to regain the starters job after our first win a week earlier (with mcgahee) he failed under the pressure to do so. So It's adios and best of luck to him he's not our problem anymore.

I like the definition of Henry as a pre-cancerous lesion. With proper care and serious but not radical surgery (like cutting him as a few crazies advocated the problem can be handled. I think folks who for some reason think that what TD and the Bills did getting a 3rd for Henry post the end of his orginal contract was little more that average work to be expected, might consider this analogy that TD led the way in treating this pre-cancerous lesion very well.

Joe Cribbs.....Doug Flutie.....Tom Cousineau

:D

385807[/snapback]

Now, now. Cousineau ended up being the draft pick that brought Jim Kelly to Buffalo. I've got nothing against the guy!

Flutie on the other hand...