London Fletcher Will Be #2

Looking here, I notice that London was #5 this season.

He stands to rise in the ranks with Zach Thomas and Donnie Edwards getting on in years, and subject to injury.

Keith Bulluck was an aberration, and Ray Lewis is likely #1 on this list.

Discuss.

London's in the middle. A new DT is in the middle. All the more tackles for London. I for one don't think we have a backup plan for London getting hurt, but they guy's amazing. Let's hear it for London.

I really think tackles are an overrated and subjective stat. I heard one time that for Zach Thomas if he jumps on the pile at the end of the play the statisticians will count it as a tackle for him, whereas with other players do not get the same treatment. Imagine if Zach Thomas made all of the tackles he missed he would lead the league in tackles by a very wide margin. Zach Thomas is the most overrated player in the league misses more tackles than he makes and still goes to the Pro Bowl. I do like your London prediction, though.

And I appreciate the blindside shot at a fish. Very nice way to join the conversation and smack a fish in the process.

385549[/snapback]

Thank you. Tackle totals were brought up any time I here Zach Thomas and tackle totals I must take a shot.

He stands to rise in the ranks with Zach Thomas and Donnie Edwards getting on in years, and subject to injury.

Discuss.

385528[/snapback]

I'm not sure that Ray will be #1 this year, he's finally starting to slow down.

Fletcher may be #2, but I like Vilma at #1.

London's in the middle. A new DT is in the middle. All the more tackles for London. I for one don't think we have a backup plan for London getting hurt, but they guy's amazing. Let's hear it for London.

385532[/snapback]

A new DT in the middle will probably contribute to Fletcher getting fewer tackles as more OL will make their way through and get their hands on the LBs on running plays.

Astrobot Posted Today, 06:10 PM

London Fletcher has been giving his all ever since he joined the team. He, Takeo, & Posey compliment each other very well. I hope that Fletcher will end his career as a Bill he does not get nearly enough credit in the NFL as some of the other MLB's. Here's to #59.

385532[/snapback]

I don't know. A new DT in the middle probably means that teams will try to get up in Fletch's face a lot more. One of his weaknesses IMO is the hit and shed. I've seen London get blown down by opposing OL on many an occasion, and with a new DT teams will try to expose this.

I think we'll see a few LESS tackles if anything.

Discuss.

385528[/snapback]

you do know Z. Thomas missed like 5 games last season.. right...... i hate the son of a B word, but hes damn good.

I really think tackles are an overrated and subjective stat. I heard one time that for Zach Thomas if he jumps on the pile at the end of the play the statisticians will count it as a tackle for him, whereas with other players do not get the same treatment. Imagine if Zach Thomas made all of the tackles he missed he would lead the league in tackles by a very wide margin. Zach Thomas is the most overrated player in the league misses more tackles than he makes and still goes to the Pro Bowl. I do like your London prediction, though.

385541[/snapback]

A new DT in the middle will probably contribute to Fletcher getting fewer tackles as more OL will make their way through and get their hands on the LBs on running plays.

385625[/snapback]

Though I agree with your premise to some extent, I'm not sure that you have the right read as to the result. Fletcher has played here with a weak DL before as we were forced to start the likes of Sean Moran at DT in front of him. However, the result of him having weak DTs in front of him was actually MORE tackles as he even broke Chris Spielman's mark for total tackles with 209 credited to him for that season.

Fletcher may slow down in his 8th year so who knows what will happen, but I always felt that one of the greatest parts of his game for the Bills is that though our weakness at DT did allow an OL player to be assigned to him and play in his grill, he was very good at fighting through this and still making the tackle.

I thought many posters actually showed they has little clue about what was happening in the game because they kept complaining that Fletcher sucked because he kept making tackles 5 yards downfield. To the extent this was true, it was because first contact for him did not occur until 3-5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage and he had to fight through an OL players assigned to him to even make the tackle which he did.

I do not think that the DT situation will be as bad as it was in 2001 anyway as I think that both Edwards and Anderson are better candidates to start likes someone who at best was a good back-up like Moran. Between these two, Takeo Spikes being a better LB partner for Fletcher than Foreman (the comparison isn't even close) and us using a run blitz scheme which is a far more deceptive and better scheme for keeping OL players off of Fletcher this all will be fine and his tackle numbers will remain vey good but not elevate the extraordinary numbers he put up in 2001 which were an indicator of a big problem for the Bills at DT.

385541[/snapback]

I agree, tackles are overrated and/or subjective. In the snow game in 2002 against Miami, Ricky had 220 through 3 quarters and London had about 15 tackles. Honestly, being at the game, I didn't even notice him. I just noticed Ricky running for 10 yards everytime he touched the ball. Same thing vs. the Jets last year- Willis ran for about 140 on 35+ carries, and Vilma had about 15 tackles. I guess what I'm saying is that tackles don't necessarily measure effectiveness. But that's what you pay middle linebackers to do- make tackles. You just hope they can make the big ones- 3rd and 2 type tackles.

As for the prediction, I think London will be right up there with Lewis. Vilma is all over the place and should be up there. Zach Thomas doesn't scare me at all.

Who drafted that middle linebacker from U of Texas? He is a horse and I would expect to see his name up there too...