My airline snack pack

Cripes

When I rifled through the contents of my morning meal "snack pack" on a flight from New York, I noticed the good folks of American Airlines armed me with a five-inch serrated plastic knife to spread my cream cheese over quarter-sized bagel chips.

Besides being useless for that type of spread, I thought this type of knife was something the TSA would have confiscated from me if I carried it in my bag through screening.

I wasn't worried about it, but I dunno, just seems odd they hand me a piece of cutlery that prisons think can be lethal in the wrong hands. :doh:

When I rifled through the contents of my morning meal "snack pack" on a flight from New York, I noticed the good folks of American Airlines armed me with a five-inch serrated plastic knife to spread my cream cheese over quarter-sized bagel chips.

Besides being useless for that type of spread, I thought this type of knife was something the TSA would have confiscated from me if I carried it in my bag through screening.

I wasn't worried about it, but I dunno, just seems odd they hand me a piece of cutlery that prisons think can be lethal in the wrong hands.  :doh:

385392[/snapback]

The second one muslim-looking dude stands up on a plane that I'm on with a knife of any kind is the last second he'll remember before my fist catches his face.

That's nothing.

My wife and I had our honeymoon (to London) a month after 9/11. I tried to get an upgrade to first class by telling them we were on our honeymoon, but it didn't work. However, while we were on the plane, a member of the flight crew came by and gave us a bottle of champaign. Umm, couldn't that be a dangerous weapon?

On the way back from London, we purchased a really nice umbrella. Unfortunately, it didnt' fit in our suitcase. We asked if we could carry it on, and they looked at their list of banned items and said, "Yes, it's not on the banned list." This umbrella was wood with a nice metal tip. Easily could've impaled someone with it.

The rules are stupid and offer no real security, only window dressing.

CW

Another confusing thing I encountered....

1. A friend of mine left out of the Pittsburgh Airport. The rules for check-in

baggage was, take it to the Airline counter and get the baggage tag. Once

baggage tag was put then he had to walk it to a baggage security area where

a guy opened the bag(s) and inspected the contents. Once they were checked

you could LOCK the suitcase and the bag would be checked in to the destination.

2. Two weeks later, my wife is travelling out of the Philadelphia airport. The

rule is completely different. The Airline puts the baggage tag and asked us

to leave all the bags unlocked and they were sent on the check-in carousel.

We were nervous as the bag was traveling a long distance...

You would think that there would be uniform code to how to handle security

of bags....but looks like a no no....

It is a plastic knife!

385425[/snapback]

What I have found particularly amusing is in first class. They give you a metal fork and spoon but a plastic knife. Which is good, because if the fork were plastic it would be harder to jab it in someone's eye.

They should have fire extinguishers filled with bacon grease just in case someone makes a move. Either that or everyone should travel with a pack of SlimJims to start doing a Dingus Day beatdown of any ahole who tries to rush the cockpit.

If they are nuts enough to believe in paradise, they are nuts enough to not creamate themselves covered in pork fat.

What I have found particularly amusing is in first class. They give you a metal fork and spoon but a plastic knife. Which is good, because if the fork were plastic it would be harder to jab it in someone's eye.

385497[/snapback]

Not for me. They give plastic stuff now. The past year, every time I've been lucky enough to be upgraded I've had plastic stuff.

I recently was at a small Commuter airport, and as soon as I checked my bag in, this one TSA employee was checking it on a table behind the check in counter.

I look over and she's rifling through some photographs I had in there. They werent anything exciting or embarassing. Just from a previous trip I had taken.

I know she was just being nosey. Thats okay. Hope she enjoyed going through my dirty underwears and socks...

Yes, the TSA rules seem like window dressing. There are plenty of dangerous items which are OK to bring aboard.

Have you ever snapped a CD in two? It becomes one or two pretty sharp knives...

But the rules of engagement have certainly changed since 9/11. If a hijack begins, several folks are likely to take action, likely kill the guy, look around for any bad guy team mates.

I was at Quiznos in McCarran (Vegas) Airport and asked that they cut my sub in half, they said they couldn't have knives past security and gave me a plastic knife to cut a toasty sub in half, I gave up after a short struggle.