Whinning LAMP

30dive

So anyone else on this board spend 5 and a half hours in your plane on the tarmac at Chicago yesterday?

Returning home with the family from out west, we left the gate on time and then spent (again) 5 and 1/2 hours in the packed full 90 degree plane for our final leg to Richmond.

I must say this though, the flight attendants were great, fellow customers were great and the pilots were awesome...The Captain even ordered McDonalds (when we returned to the gate to refuel...no we could not de-plane) for everyone on the flight and paid for it out of pocket....No United will not pay him back.

Vacation was great, spent time in Northern Idaho and Eastern Washington and even visited the Seahawks training facilties....very nice.

We were delayed 2+ hours coming into BWI. They just said it was weather problems in the Northeast that was clogging things up. There was no rain really in the DC/Balt area. But the backups out of there prevented more planes from coming in.

We had that happen last year on our return from Alaska. Flew around Minneapolis, diverted to Duluth and landed. Sat on the runway for 5 hours, constantly being told that we'll be leaving any time now. The flight attendants were RUDE, the air was getting stale, and they wouldn't let us deplane. ;) It sucked... I wouldn't have had a problem if we could've gotten out of the plane...

I really like United though -- back in '97 (or around there), Buffalo was hit with a huge snowstorm -- 3 feet of snow in 24 hours. I was flying home in the middle of it. :w00t: We diverted to Rochester and got to deplane. The airport in Buffalo opened up briefly, and the pilot decided to re-board and try to land there, even though the crew had logged too many hours and technically wasn't supposed to be flying... They basically said, "Screw it, we're not abandoning these people in Rochester for Christmas." They got me home, and my dad drove me to Niagara Falls in the storm. Later that night, they closed the roads (and pretty much the entire WNY area) for a couple of days. If the pilot hadn't done that, it would've been a crappy Xmas.

I usually fly NWA because they're based in Minneapolis, but I really like United and fly them if NWA doesn't offer a direct flight.

CW

Did you hear me complain about the reason? NO.

I'm just whinning about the fact that we had we had to spend fiveplus hours in a jet on the tarmac. But something tells me it would have been better to stay at the terminal than to have pulled away from the gate, yes there where flights coming in from out west that needed the gates, but thre where no flights coming in from the east.

United provides head sets to all flyers and you can listen to the pilots talking with the tower. Two minutes into our pushing from the gate , the tower informs our pilot that he needs to travel to the "penalty box" (his words), about a five minute trip and shut down. Pilot asks him how long are we looking at, tower tells our pilot that planes have been parking on the tarmac for over an hour and a half now (yes due to the weather, a band of storms running from Detroit to Nashville).

Oh well....I'm still gonna whine!

So anyone else on this board spend 5 and a half hours in your plane on the tarmac at Chicago yesterday?

Returning home with the family from out west, we left the gate on time and then spent (again) 5 and 1/2 hours in the packed full 90 degree plane for our final leg to Richmond.

I must say this though, the flight attendants were great, fellow customers were great and the pilots were awesome...The Captain even ordered McDonalds (when we returned to the gate to refuel...no we could not de-plane) for everyone on the flight and paid for it out of pocket....No United will not pay him back.

Vacation was great, spent time in Northern Idaho and Eastern Washington and even visited the Seahawks training facilties....very nice.

385157[/snapback]

Okay Peter King ;)

Tell ya what, just flew jetblue for the first time last week from IAD to Oak. Nice having the Directv feed, got to watch the home run derby on the plane. And the seats are nice and its cheap. Big fan here.

On one trip coming back from the south though NYC, as the plane landed I could see the line of planes waiting to take off. I counted 33 although I may have missed some. Based on previous experience I find it good to count the planes waiting to take off when your landing. At 3 minutes a take off that meant to me at least a 99 minute delay in take off whenever my next flight got into line. And when the back up is that big they never seem to be able to make up time.

Anyway they boarded us on time and we spent two hours waiting for our turn. The delay was caused by morning thundershowers. Get em in the Northeast and there are so many airports that overlap, its easy to get delays. Long delays.

I prefer getting stuck on a plane in the winter. If its thunderstorms, that usually means hot and humid.

I had a two hour delay in Atlanta yesterday, due to a backup.

385178[/snapback]

You should try a bran muffin. That'll help the backup.

Hey 30dive, I may be mistakened about this anymore, but if a plane leaves the gate and heads out within 15 minutes of its departure time...regardless of how long it sits there...it's considered an on-time departure.

Let me tell you about my travel since Sunday.

Sunday:

1. Had a flight from Rochester, NY to Denver through Philly leaving at 4:40.

2. Airline calls, says there's weather problems and I should try to make the 2:30 flight to philly. I hurry and pack and make the flight.

3. Turns out the flight to denver from Philly is delayed. It leaves after 9:00, and I get to denver at 1:30, Mountain time.

4. Get to the hotel at 2:00 AM. Probably asleep at 2:30.

Monday

1. My wakeup call startles me at 6:00 for my 7:30 meeting with client. Yes, that's 3 1/2 hours of sleep.

2. I do my stuff with the client, half asleep (I kick ass, BTW).

3. Get to the Denver airport at 3:00 for a 4:30 flight.

4. Get on the plane at the regular boarding time.

5. Computer problems. Flight is delayed. And delayed more.

6. We leave really late.

Tuesday AM

1. Arrive at 12:30 in Philly. Flight to Rochester is delayed, so I can still make the connection, however, there's no shuttle running to the other terminal to get to the flight. I make a gazillion calls, nobody give a shiznit. Bastards. I'm pissed.

2. Rebook on a 7:30 flight on Tuesday morning after much consternation. Philly sucks.

3. I make a reservation at a local hotel. Have to stay in the room with my extremely odd boss. This is at 1:00 AM.

4. Wakeup call comes at 4:30. Security and stuff sucks at Philly. If you don't get there early you are screwed. Yes, that's 3 1/2 hours of sleep again.

Turns out the idiots at Philly forgot to load the carts full of luggage on the plane. Not only that, they can't find it. Somewhere, there's a trailer full of luggage, but the idiot, retarded, lead-paint eating retards at philly have lost it. We wait until 9:00 and they finally find the cart and load it on the plane.

5. Arrive in Rochester at 10:30. Just in time for a conference call with another client. I can barely speak I'm so tired.

So here I am. 3 days, under 7 hours of sleep, I've spent the last 3 days in airports. Yeah, travel has really gotten sucky.

We were delayed 2+ hours coming into BWI.  They just said it was weather problems in the Northeast that was clogging things up.  There was no rain really in the DC/Balt area.  But the backups out of there prevented more planes from coming in.

385168[/snapback]

Lots of thunderstorms all over the NE. I feel for you, man. Travel the past few days has been horrible.

Not to mention that Duluth is one of the worst airports in the country. My family is from there. It sucks.

Will we board soon?

"Oh, you betcha."

Friggin Minnisota. What a fugged up state.

We had that happen last year on our return from Alaska.  Flew around Minneapolis, diverted to Duluth and landed.  Sat on the runway for 5 hours, constantly being told that we'll be leaving any time now.  The flight attendants were RUDE, the air was getting stale, and they wouldn't let us deplane.  :doh:  It sucked...  I wouldn't have had a problem if we could've gotten out of the plane...

I really like United though -- back in '97 (or around there), Buffalo was hit with a huge snowstorm -- 3 feet of snow in 24 hours.  I was flying home in the middle of it. :)  We diverted to Rochester and got to deplane.  The airport in Buffalo opened up briefly, and the pilot decided to re-board and try to land there, even though the crew had logged too many hours and technically wasn't supposed to be flying...  They basically said, "Screw it, we're not abandoning these people in Rochester for Christmas."  They got me home, and my dad drove me to Niagara Falls in the storm.  Later that night, they closed the roads (and pretty much the entire WNY area) for a couple of days.  If the pilot hadn't done that, it would've been a crappy Xmas.

I usually fly NWA because they're based in Minneapolis, but I really like United and fly them if NWA doesn't offer a direct flight.

CW

385171[/snapback]

I take 4 Delta flights a week, every week.  They suck.

385526[/snapback]

Being here one of their hubs, my wife gets to enjoy their hospitality a few times each month.

She holds the same opinion.

Hard to think they won't be bankrupt this fall if fuel prices don't abate.