Resume updating question

I was a career counselor for a decade and helped hundreds of students with their resumes. It is very, very bad form to specifically list your race or religion or political party, etc. on your resume! Period. While it is acceptable to include work and volunteer experience that may give information about these personal attributes, even these things should be kept to a minimum, kept as generic as possible or omitted altogether.

Many employers will not even give your resume any further consideration if you blatantly add such things. It is considered unprofessional. Don't do it!

Is it illegal to state on your resume that you are a minority if you are in fact not?

Here is why I ask.  I was having lunch with some friends, one of which is a HR staff worker for a large local co.  He said he was going through resumes and came across one which the guy stated under "Personal Information"  Native American.

My buddy was saying after he talked with the Dept. Mgr who was hiring that he liked the idea of having some diversity in his Dept to show his management that he is making strides to meet certain company wide goals...such as increased minority hiring.  So the Indian dude got the job.

So my question is, how would one know if this was true or not?  Does the applicant have to provide some sort of proof that he is a minority if his or her appearance does not provide evidence of this?

385126[/snapback]

Go into the interview with a head dress on. They won't ask for any more evidence.

Besides being dishonest, why would you put yourself in a less advantaged situation. Have you ever thought about the fact that any company that has a 'need' for diversity has probably passed over tons of qualified minority candidates and that is why they want 'diversity'. There is solid evidence that significant numbers of minority applications get purposely passed over because that is just the way it is. We do not have a level playing field in this country - quit fooling yourselves with the 'best applicant' bull*&%^ - racism is still alive and well.