Didn't see anyone mention/post this yet

Great read. Thanks for finding that.

Two things crossed my mind when reading that:

1) I feel like a ball was set in motion to build a stout OL in the event that Bledsoe was here another year. And one could argue that if we beat Pittsburgh and backed into the playoffs, that would be a very real option. With Bledsoe gone, however, the effort continues forward to build a very stout line. In the back of my mind, I can see McNally realizing that if he can build a line to protect Bledsoe, he can build a line to protect anyone. There is work to be done with JP because I fear the running (around) he did in Tulane will kick right in against a heavy rush early in our season. I'm hoping he can quickly learn to not make running his second option. The stouter the line, the quicker he learns.

2) BB.com is the Bills' website, so at any given time if the brass wants to pass on a message, they have a great vessel through which to do it. Bills fans are pretty !@#$ing smart fans, and they know the OL is a problem. This struck me as an orchestrated story. And that's okay, because it was a good read...and even if it were orchestrated, at least TD is letting us he's onto us. ;)

1) I feel like a ball was set in motion to build a stout OL in the event that Bledsoe was here another year. And one could argue that if we beat Pittsburgh and backed into the playoffs, that would be a very real option. With Bledsoe gone, however, the effort continues forward to build a very stout line. In the back of my mind, I can see McNally realizing that if he can build a line to protect Bledsoe, he can build a line to protect anyone. There is work to be done with JP because I fear the running (around) he did in Tulane will kick right in against a heavy rush early in our season.  I'm hoping he can quickly learn to not make running his second option. The stouter the line, the quicker he learns.

2) BB.com is the Bills' website, so at any given time if the brass wants to pass on a message, they have a great vessel through which to do it. Bills fans are pretty !@#$ing smart fans, and they know the OL is a problem. This struck me as an orchestrated story. And that's okay, because it was a good read...and even if it were orchestrated, at least TD is letting us he's onto us. :w00t:

384818[/snapback]

I agree with both of your points.

Imo, the most exciting part of that article was what McNally had to say about Preston. A productive, low salaried, mid-round interior lineman is something I do not remember the Bills having in better than 10 years (other than CV). These guys are worth their weight in gold.....just ask the Steelers.

Also, I liked Teague's remarks about Anderson and CV. I have often stated that CV is extremely important to this football team. When healthy, CV makes life much easier for Teague, and Big Mike as well.

Being skeptical by nature, I have mixed feelings about Gandy, but we shall soon find out if he can play. The good news is that if he cannot, we are now in possession of an extra draft pick if we need to move up and draft a stud LT in 06! :w00t:;):doh:

Being skeptical by nature, I have mixed feelings about Gandy, but we shall soon find out if he can play. The good news is that if he cannot, we are now in possession of an extra draft pick if we need to move up and draft a stud LT in 06!  :w00t:  ;)  :w00t:

Who knows. The Bills MIGHT be able to swing a deal with the Browns for Shelton for that extra 3rd rounder. :doh:

Who knows.  The Bills MIGHT be able to swing a deal with the Browns for Shelton for that extra 3rd rounder. ;)

384897[/snapback]

When Badolbilz posted that Shelton was a "sub-par left tackle with a chronic ankle injury," I lost any desire to trade for Shelton. He follows these players much closer than do I.

1) I feel like a ball was set in motion to build a stout OL in the event that Bledsoe was here another year. And one could argue that if we beat Pittsburgh and backed into the playoffs, that would be a very real option. With Bledsoe gone, however, the effort continues forward to build a very stout line. In the back of my mind, I can see McNally realizing that if he can build a line to protect Bledsoe, he can build a line to protect anyone. There is work to be done with JP because I fear the running (around) he did in Tulane will kick right in against a heavy rush early in our season.  I'm hoping he can quickly learn to not make running his second option. The stouter the line, the quicker he learns.

2) BB.com is the Bills' website, so at any given time if the brass wants to pass on a message, they have a great vessel through which to do it. Bills fans are pretty !@#$ing smart fans, and they know the OL is a problem. This struck me as an orchestrated story. And that's okay, because it was a good read...and even if it were orchestrated, at least TD is letting us he's onto us. ;)

384818[/snapback]

The Bills line is being built to run a multi-dimensional offense with a strong focus on running the ball - not solely to protect the QB.

The Bills line has maulers, not finesse pass protectors.

The OL is an important component to the overall success and versatility of the offense.

The major problem with Drew that he needed a one dimensional OL to protect HIM to the detriment of the rest of the offensive gameplan.

I agree with both of your points.

Imo, the most exciting part of that article was what McNally had to say about Preston. A productive, low salaried, mid-round interior lineman is something I do not remember the Bills having in better than 10 years (other than CV). These guys are worth their weight in gold.....just ask the Steelers.

Also, I liked Teague's remarks about Anderson and CV. I have often stated that CV is extremely important to this football team. When healthy, CV makes life much easier for Teague, and Big Mike as well.

Being skeptical by nature, I have mixed feelings about Gandy, but we shall soon find out if he can play. The good news is that if he cannot, we are now in possession of an extra draft pick if we need to move up and draft a stud LT in 06!  :w00t:  ;)  :w00t:

384881[/snapback]

Like you, I have concerns about this OL quickly becoming a dependable unit. They have new players in there (again) that will need to adjust to McNally's coaching philosophy, just as their teammates will have to adjust to their strengths/weaknesses. I go into yet another preseason being "cautiously optimistic" about the line's development.

I also think the article has to be taken w/ a grain of salt, since it's coming from the team's website @ a time when fans have concerns w/ the line. Here's where my 'cautious optimism' comes in again. I'll reserve judgment until we have had ample time to see them in action.............and I'll pray that we have nothing but praise to heap on them.

Like you, I have concerns about this OL quickly becoming a dependable unit.  They have new players in there (again) that will need to adjust to McNally's coaching philosophy, just as their teammates will have to adjust to their strengths/weaknesses.  I go into yet another preseason being "cautiously optimistic" about the line's development.

I also think the article has to be taken w/ a grain of salt, since it's coming from the team's website @ a time when fans have concerns w/ the line.  Here's where my 'cautious optimism' comes in again.  I'll reserve judgment until we have had ample time to see them in action.............and I'll pray that we have nothing but praise to heap on them.

384962[/snapback]

Hi there Rich!

You are obviously correct to take the source (bb.com) into consideration when attempting to predict how the OLine will do.

The facts DO point towards a more optimistic conclusion:

1.) Unlike last year, Bike Mike is reportedly in great shape and there are no emotional issues (last year he was upset over the death of his grandmother) to deal with.

2.) Villarial, Teague and Williams are now entering year 2 in playing together with McNally as their line coach

3.) McNally is considered one of the best if not the best OLine coach in the league. He now has a second year to work with most of these guys

4.) Anderson is undoubtedly a step up from Smith and Tucker at LG. He may be only average at pass protection but he now has McNally as his coach...yada yada yada

The big question mark, IMO, is how does Gandy compare to Jennngs? I feel Jennings was an average LT who SF way overpaid for. Last year WAS Jennings best year however. You can bank on him playing worse this year AND being out at least 3 games due to injuries. McNally believes Gandy is serviceable. We'll see.

Finally, having a QB who can move around can be a huge help to the line not only due to the obvious (he can avoid sackers) but also because he can FAKE rollout passes and force the linemen and LB's to hesitate on BOTH run plays and pass plays. This gives the RB's, WR's AND OLIne an extra second to work with. THAT IS AN ETERNITY.

That's my assessment - thus I am definitely optimistic.

-RnJ

The major problem with Drew that he needed a one dimensional OL to protect HIM to the detriment of the rest of the offensive gameplan.

384946[/snapback]

Why didn't the coaching staff adapt to the strength of our QB. Max Protect

and give the ball to Moulds or Evans....Looked like MM/TC were going through

their own learning curve.... ;)

Why didn't the coaching staff adapt to the strength of our QB.  Max Protect

and give the ball to Moulds or Evans....Looked like MM/TC were going through

their own learning curve.... ;)

385118[/snapback]

If the Bills adapted to their QB last year and max protected, every team that we faced would know what they were going to do. You can't just say they should have done everything to protect DB and give the ball to Moulds or Evans, that's just idiotic. Every team would be able to defense that in a heartbeat and completly shut down the already limited passing game, (see the New England games)!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're going to make statements like that, think about the logic behind them. Of course there is always a learning curve for every coach, but isn't there a learning curve for even the veteran coaches and players on every play of every game every year?

A fun read, but pointless propaganda nevertheless.

Of course it's not really fair to judge these guys until the end of August, but I'm having a hard time getting over the fact that neither Bennie Anderson nor Mike Gandy - our current starting LG and LT, respectively - were wanted by their previous teams or (as far as I could possibly know) any other NFL team. It's not like either was too expensive or anything...

If McNally can make this particular offensive line a success, factoring in a rookie starting QB and the usual number of injuries that inevitably occur throughout the season, then he will have earned himself an instant place on the Bills' Wall of Fame.

I'm having a hard time getting over the fact that neither Bennie Anderson nor Mike Gandy - our current starting LG and LT, respectively - were wanted by their previous teams or (as far as I could possibly know) any other NFL team.

385232[/snapback]

That may be true (especially with Gandy). But as FA's, they could also pick where they wanted to go. With starting spots clearly available, it may have factored into the decision to sign with the Bills rather than compete for backup spots on other teams.

A fun read, but pointless propaganda nevertheless.

Of course it's not really fair to judge these guys until the end of August, but I'm having a hard time getting over the fact that neither Bennie Anderson nor Mike Gandy - our current starting LG and LT, respectively - were wanted by their previous teams or (as far as I could possibly know) any other NFL team. It's not like either was too expensive or anything...

If McNally can make this particular offensive line a success, factoring in a rookie starting QB and the usual number of injuries that inevitably occur throughout the season, then he will have earned himself an instant place on the Bills' Wall of Fame.

385232[/snapback]

KH, I can see your point. There is however SOME good news:

1) Tucker was not bad last year. If Anderson beats him out, Tucker provides better than average depth imo.

2) McNally seems to love Preston. More much needed depth.

3) Teague, CV (my particular favorite) and Big Mike have a year together under in this system. It is not unreasonable to expect improvement.

That said, I too fear that Gandy will be the weak link.

KH, I can see your point. There is however SOME good news:

1) Tucker was not bad last year. If Anderson beats him out, Tucker provides better than average depth imo.

2) McNally seems to love Preston. More much needed depth.

3) Teague, CV (my particular favorite) and Big Mike have a year together under in this system. It is not unreasonable to expect improvement.

That said, I too fear that Gandy will be the weak link.

385248[/snapback]

If Gandy is shaky, Bills will either move Teague from C and let Preston play C or roll the dice with Jason Peters and scheme to protect him.

That may be true (especially with Gandy).  But as FA's, they could also pick where they wanted to go.  With starting spots clearly available, it may have factored into the decision to sign with the Bills rather than compete for backup spots on other teams.

385239[/snapback]

So their FA options were either compete for backup spots on other teams or start for the Bills?! What exactly does that say about the state of our OL???!!!

I'm just busting balls, SnF. We'll see how this all plays out in preseason. If Bennie and Gandy look legit by September, then I will eat my crow.

If Gandy is shaky, Bills will either move Teague from C and let Preston play C or roll the dice with Jason Peters and scheme to protect him.

385259[/snapback]

Three problems here:

1. Teague may easily be no better than Gandy at LT. His tenure in Denver at LT was pathetic.

2. As good as Preston could become, having any rookie start at C (with a rookie QB behind him) is potential disaster. I'd rather keep Teague there for continuity.

3. Even if Jason Peters is the next Orlando Pace, no way will he not suck in his first year. He's never even played a down at T in the college ranks. And like the C position, having a rookie LT start can be disastrous with a rookie QB as well. BTW, when you have to "scheme to protect [the LT]," you know your offense is in trouble! A successful offense schemes (obviously) to protect the QB and not any other position.

So their FA options were either compete for backup spots on other teams or start for the Bills?! What exactly does that say about the state of our OL???!!!

385260[/snapback]

I had the same thought when I wrote the above. :doh:

Still, thinking as a FA for a moment, if I have an 85% shot at being a starter with the Bills with no incumbant to battle vs. a 50% chance to beat out someone already on a roster that the coaching staff knows (most other teams), I'd take my chances with the Bills.

In Anderson's case, you cannot say that no other team wanted him. It's not like he was languishing in FA for month, ultimately settling on a deal. Gandy however, you COULD say that. But hopefully it's a matter of a guy who was given-up too quickly by his former team because of injuries, and that he was a product of bad coaching. Those are both plausible.

Three problems here:

3. Even if Jason Peters is the next Orlando Pace, no way will he not suck in his first year. He's never even played a down at T in the college ranks. And like the C position, having a rookie LT start can be disastrous with a rookie QB as well. BTW, when you have to "scheme to protect [the LT]," you know your offense is in trouble! A successful offense schemes (obviously) to protect the QB and not any other position.

385274[/snapback]

I guess we might as well give up on the season as well for based on your pathetic theory there is no way Losman will not suck in his 1st year as a starter....

I guess we might as well give up on the season as well for based on your pathetic theory there is no way Losman will not suck in his 1st year as a starter....

385846[/snapback]

If you were somehow blessed w/ the gift of foresight and knew the Bills would have a bad season before the season even started, would you still root for them? Not saying anyone here knows what is going to happen, but I don't think they want the Bills to fail. If a person strongly believes that the team will struggle this season, I don't think that makes them a traitor. If they weren't passionate fans, even if the passion isn't all bright and cheery, they'd be more like the wine and cheese fans you see @ 49ers games.