Bills at Colts - 8/13/05

udonkey

Late night last night (got home at 2am CT), and I'm draggin' tail today.

Sorry I missed you last night, Mike. I walked up to 345 about 30 minutes before kickoff and didn't see any Bills jerseys. I'm a litttle disappointed that the Bills PR didn't bring any media guides.

That game wore on too long. They should have a curfew for the first 1-2 preseason games, so if it reaches a certain time and the game is nowhere near being done, pull the ripcord.

I stood next to Jeff Burris on the Bills sidelines nearly the entire time, I even rode down from the pressbox with him at halftime (he was eating, so Ididn't bother to talk to him).

The Colts made us photogs wear the silly red or blue vests with the Colts logo on them. Feels kinda cheesy wearing them.

On the botched FG in the 4th, Mularky was upset because he thought Moorman was brought down by the "horse-collar tackle", the one that's now banned.

I was 10-15ft away from Tom White (Referee) while he was reviewing the first instant replay. Police officers came streaking from the other side of the field to provide "protection" for White while "peeking at the peep show". Shouldn't these officers be on the same sideline as the review machine?

I got a few digital pictures from the sideline during the second half. One of Sam Adams that looks like his shoulder pads are swallowing him up (tough to do). I also snapped one when the Bills TV crew was interviewing JP.

After the game I spoke to Duke Preston (because he was my excuse to get a credential to the game; covering a former Illinois player). Very well-spoken and polite; he reminded me that he used to watch our TV station (WAND) while in college.

Well, that's all I got for now. Hopefully the offense starts clicking in the next couple of games.

Mike:

Thanks for looking. I can't say the exact time that we made it into the stadium, but I do know that we were in our seats for the game ball delivery, National Anthem, and player introductions. No big deal though.

I was actually pleased to see that our section had the biggest congregation of Bills fans of any that I could see - we must have had atleast 15-20 scattered throughout - saw a Spikes Pro-Bowl jersey, several Moulds, my own Spikes, and some little guys wearing Bledsoe and Flutie jerseys.

I'm definitely not as good as most people on this board at giving technical recaps of what I saw. I just have a few bullet points:

- The starting offensive line impressed me greatly. JP had plenty of time to look downfield and was able to scramble away safely if no one was open.

- I agree with most - Josh Reed sucks

- The defense looked great, but I was really surprised at the secondary several times. Jim Sorgi was picking the secondary apart - if the Colts receivers would've been able to catch, I have no doubt that the Colts would've put up 2-3 more TDs on our D (granted, the starters looked much better than the backups).

- Sape's blocked punt and TD almost got me beat up - I got pretty loud. Dungy's challenge to give us 5 more points (it was CLEARLY a TD) was hilarious. If you didn't notice, Mularkey challenged also, so we would've got the TD either way.

- I was surprised to see JP stay in so long...got a little scared in the 3rd quarter, as the backup O-line was getting killed. Not sure who was playing, but the right side of the line collapsed almost every play. I was happy to see JP sitting on the bench with Holcomb heading onto the field.

- After having sat in 2 different areas of the RCA dome (endzone last year, upper deck this year), I can honestly say that this has to be in the bottom 5 stadiums in the NFL. The facilities, services (beer guy came by 1 time), and scoreboards/jumbotrons leave a lot to be desired.

- Walking back to the hotel, after leave the game and watching the 4th quarter at Hooters, some smartass Colts fans walking behind me made a comment like "hey looks, a Bills fan, I didn't know they made those anymore". I turned around and told him, "Don't worry, there won't be many Indianapolis Colts fans after your team packs up and moves to LA". He shut up then.

All in all, a good time. I'm looking forward to the trip up to Orchard Park next Saturday morning (that game will make 3 for me in a matter of 8 days - Bengals/Patriots on 8/12, Bills/Colts on 8/13, and Bills/Packer on 8/20)