Taylor workout good, still interested in Henry

JoeF

Coach Del Rio speaks

Pertinent Quotes:

“I was very encouraged; the fact that he's gaining strength and he's able to do the cutting and the acceleration he's going to have to do to be Fred,” Del Rio said of his evaluation of Taylor's workout this past Monday.

When spring practices ended on June 22, Del Rio told reporters he would observe Taylor in July before the start of training camp to determine what Taylor's availability would be for camp. Following Monday's audition, Del Rio has put together a plan for Taylor's training camp participation.

“My thought is he'll be on the field for the first shorts practice. We'll open camp with Fred but we'll practice him once a day and it'll be in shorts. We'll monitor him during that first week. We want to see his strength continue to improve. The big thing for Fred is to continue to increase the strength in that leg. He won't take part in the scrimmage but, leading up to the (preseason) game against Miami, we'd like to work him into the padded practices,” Del Rio said.

Meanwhile, the Jaguars are attempting to trade for Henry and news along those lines would seem to be imminent.

“The fact that we have an opportunity to acquire a running back of this kind of talent is something we have to look at, so we're looking at it. This may or may not happen, but we're protecting our interests and any time we think we can acquire somebody who can help us we're going to do that. It looks like it's coming to a head in the next few days or week,” Del Rio said.

Henry rushed for 1,438 yards in 2002 and for 1,356 yards in '03. He had a 4.1 yards-per-carry rushing average through the first three years of his career, scored 23 touchdowns rushing in '02 and '03 combined and added 71 pass receptions in those two seasons. At 5-9, 215, Henry is a small pounder. He's a rugged inside runner who might be a perfect complement to Taylor. Henry is good in short-yardage and goal-line situations. He's a tough guy who left a game against Houston in '03 with a cracked fibula, then returned in the second half to rush 10 more times and complete a 149-yard day.

Pure BS on the Jags' part.  Taylor won't be ready.

381943[/snapback]

That's exactly what I thought I read between the lines. Del Rio cannot say anything other than the most glowing reports about Taylor in the press if the Jags are negotiating for Henry. Otherwise, the price goes up.

Pure BS on the Jags' part.  Taylor won't be ready.

381943[/snapback]

Remember Del Rio is the coach who put the axe and block of wood in the locker room and Hansen almost cut off his leg...I think at the time Del Rio called it a minor injury.... :lol:

Just give up the sure third upgradeable to a second Jack and Travis will be all yours.

Coach Del Rio speaks

Meanwhile, the Jaguars are attempting to trade for Henry and news along those lines would seem to be imminent.

“The fact that we have an opportunity to acquire a running back of this kind of talent is something we have to look at, so we're looking at it. This may or may not happen, but we're protecting our interests and any time we think we can acquire somebody who can help us we're going to do that. It looks like it's coming to a head in the next few days or week,” Del Rio said.

381941[/snapback]

I'm surprised Del Rio was so candid about their desire to explore a deal for TH. It ups the pressure on the Titans, for sure.

Remember Del Rio is the coach who put the axe and block of wood in the locker room and Hansen almost cut off his leg...I think at the time Del Rio called it a minor injury.... :lol:

Just give up the sure third upgradeable to a second Jack and Travis will be all yours.

381958[/snapback]

Keep choppin' wood!

Even though it seems like its just a summary of Del Rio's comments, the local paper in Jax seems to think its a done deal...

http://jacksonville.com/sports/

382102[/snapback]

Originally created Thursday, July 14, 2005

Jags close to trade with Buffalo RB Henry

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor...jag_henry.shtml

By BART HUBBUCH, The Times-Union

Acknowledging their concerns about Fred Taylor's availability this season, the Jaguars are close to completing a long-discussed trade for Buffalo Bills running back Travis Henry.

Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio said Thursday in a statement released by the team that a deal for Henry, a one-time Pro Bowl selection, could be completed "in the next few days or week."

Look for the complete story in Friday's Florida Times-Union.

bart.hubbuchjacksonville.com, (904) 359-4148

I really don't see why we're trading him to jacksonville. Why help out a team that will be fighting for a playoff spot, unless this is all a ploy to gain leverage with the tians I don't think the gamble is worth it

The Bills need to take care of their own business, not worry about what another team is doing. I think the Bills can beat the Jags with Taylor, much less Travis, so I'm not worried. I just want to get some value for Travis and I think the Jax deal is the best one for everyone involved, even if it might help a rival playoff contender.

I really don't see why we're trading him to jacksonville. Why help out a team that will be fighting for a playoff spot, unless this is all a ploy to gain leverage with the tians I don't think the gamble is worth it

382110[/snapback]

I think you raise a good point, but I tend to think more that way within the division. I'll take my team with McGahee in the backfield versus the Jags with Henry in the backfield all day long.

A couple of thoughts on helping the Jags..

If the Jags weren't a playoff contender, they probably wouldn't be giving serious thought to meeting TD's asking price. The reason Floyd Reese balks at giving a 3rd (upped to a 2nd with performance) is that he needs all the top 100 draft picks he can get to rebuild a team depleted by free agency/cap hell and while Chris Brown is not a top tier back--they have huge needs elsewhere.

While Travis is a good back--he is at his best when his team has the lead and the clock is being milked--he seldom if ever broke a long run that turned a game around. Also, there were probably 3 drives a year during his two prime years, where we relied solely on Travis to move the ball down the field in a critical situation. Taylor is a game breaker. Longs runs and long drives where he got the majority of the yards are regular staples for the Jags offense--that element is still missing.

Travis will be better than Toefield but the Jags O will still be missing major pieces.

I agree that helping the Jags is a concern--but having another high pick in next year's draft when we need to begin to look at restocking a defense with some younger talent makes me feel a lot better about that.

If this goes through we also gain some flexibility on the cap to address the Oline if training camp reveals some flaws.

Sounds very real to me......

Jaguars | Closing in on Henry Trade

Thu, 14 Jul 2005 16:16:43 -0700

Bart Hubbuch, of the Florida Times-Union, reports the Jacksonville Jaguars are close to completing a long-discussed trade for Buffalo Bills RB Travis Henry. Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio said Thursday, July 14, in a statement released by the team that a deal for Henry could be completed "in the next few days or week."