Don't you just wish the Bills had some Cap Room?

Green Bay could match anyway but if a deal could have been struck that the Bills could meet but the Pack could not.......grrrrrr

From FF.Mastermind.com:

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports transitioned free-agent TE Bubba Franks has yet to sign an offer from another team and has until July 22 to do so. After that date, he can either sign the tender offer for one year at $2.095 million or negotiate a long-term deal with the Packers. Thus far, things have been very quiet on the Franks front. With just a week left for him to sign an offer with another team, things could heat up. The Packers have the right to match any offer another team would give Franks, but if they chose not to match the offer, they would not receive any compensation. Assuming Franks is back with the Packers - and they simply can't afford to lose him at this point - the tight end position should be solid.

Green Bay could match anyway but if a deal could have been struck that the Bills could meet but the Pack could not.......grrrrrr

From FF.Mastermind.com:

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports transitioned free-agent TE Bubba Franks has yet to sign an offer from another team and has until July 22 to do so. After that date, he can either sign the tender offer for one year at $2.095 million or negotiate a long-term deal with the Packers. Thus far, things have been very quiet on the Franks front. With just a week left for him to sign an offer with another team, things could heat up. The Packers have the right to match any offer another team would give Franks, but if they chose not to match the offer, they would not receive any compensation. Assuming Franks is back with the Packers - and they simply can't afford to lose him at this point - the tight end position should be solid.

381850[/snapback]

That would be a great addition, but at northward of 2 million per season, we may just not have the coin to get in the sweepstakes. Interesting that there haven't been any offers from other teams for his services. Any idea why it's been so quiet with him?

That would be a great addition, but at northward of 2 million per season, we may just not have the coin to get in the sweepstakes. Interesting that there haven't been any offers from other teams for his services. Any idea why it's been so quiet with him?

381890[/snapback]

Because he's a good TE, but not a great one and paying that kind of coin for him isn't worth it. The packers would probably match any reasonable deal, anyway. The Bills would have to offer him $$ the packers wouldn't want to match, and that's too much.

I think if we really wanted him we could create the room to sign him.

Because he's a good TE, but not a great one and paying that kind of coin for him isn't worth it. The packers would probably match any reasonable deal, anyway. The Bills would have to offer him $$ the packers wouldn't want to match, and that's too much.

I think if we really wanted him we could create the room to sign him.

381917[/snapback]

What is reasonable though, is that if he is not getting a long term deal, the Bills could offer him a one-year deal. Put Everett on IR, and just use Bubba the way they planned to use Everett. Then Bubba is in the same situation he was in last year. The Packers probably aren't going anywhere this year anyway. I'm not saying we should do it, but we could probably create room and it would be an instant jolt for our passing offense, as well as help JP out.

What is reasonable though, is that if he is not getting a long term deal, the Bills could offer him a one-year deal. Put Everett on IR, and just use Bubba the way they planned to use Everett. Then Bubba is in the same situation he was in last year. The Packers probably aren't going anywhere this year anyway. I'm not saying we should do it, but we could probably create room and it would be an instant jolt for our passing offense, as well as help JP out.

381922[/snapback]

Do we want to pay him more than $2 mil for one year? The packers will, and that's why they've given him a tender offer. I'm not saying I wouldn't want him on our team, but I think the chances of the packers matching a reasonable offer is quite high, and us making anything more than a reasonable offer is low.

Do we want to pay him more than $2 mil for one year? The packers will, and that's why they've given him a tender offer. I'm not saying I wouldn't want him on our team, but I think the chances of the packers matching a reasonable offer is quite high, and us making anything more than a reasonable offer is low.

381927[/snapback]

I agree with that. And we probably don't do it. I would be shocked if we did.

But trading Travis will probably save us about a mil. If we can create another 1.5 it may not be a bad move. It won't hurt our cap long term. Bubba can make it clear to the Pack that he really doesn't want to be there, it's only for one year and he's gone, and he will be a malcontent and just go through the motions (clearly, he is not happy with them now as is). It could work, I just don't predict it will.

I don't think cap room is the issue as we can create more if we choose to do so. I would not advocate doing so for Franks because while it would certainly be good to have a player of his talent this year and particularly given out current uncertainties at TE, we ould need to and want to sign Franks long term and the Bills have other options and opportunities at TE in the long run.

I think for this year, we are going to try to produce a serviceable TE out of the resources we currently have on the roster. Whle I do not think we will be able to produce the type of stud TE Franks is this year, i think our possibilities (if not prospects) are good for next year and on and thus I doubt we will create the cap problems of creating room for Franks. Overall, I think this is our crrent TE situation.

Campbell- Lilkely starter this year but there are tremendous doubts about this as he suffered an ACL injury. Its too bad really because he had always been at least a serviceable blocker and actually was a little bit better than serviceable as a blocker, but he never showed the receiving production to make him a complete or go-to TE. TD actually made a great deal to pick him up for a 7th round pick and got a starting TE out of the deal as our team was weak at this position at the time (Remeirsma was a goner as he refused to renegotiate and his blocking was questionable at best). Not only did Campbell give us a credible starter who helped an OL block for 1300+ yard pick-ups by TH, but he actually began to show signs of life as a receiver for the Bills with the ability to hang onto the ball after taking some devastating hits after moderate to long catches over the middle.

He actually finished second among Bills in receiving TDs last year after a big game where he caught 3 TDs and it looked like the breakout might happen. Unfortunately he was put on the IR duue to injury and as a 30 year old given folks like Edggerin James needed over a year to come back I pretty much figured he was done as a Bill.

Yet, there are a lot of positive words about his recovery and maybe the nature of his ACL injury is such that he can credibly comeback to start. However, even if we luck out in this regard, I doubt that he will continue his past rate of improvement and at best he will be serviceable as a starter and not the Franks type performer we want now or in the long run.

Euhus- A better candidate to one day achieve the Franks standard (for lack of a better reasonable benchmark for TE production, the Gonzales or Coates standards are the true caddillac here and though I like Franks but he is no Gonzales in terms of being a gamebreaker the D needs to warp itself to cover). Euhus had a promising start for the Bills but an ACL injury ended his season as well. I had actually thought he would be the one likely to comeback quickly or at all of the two, but he has been eerily quiet about his individual progress while Campbell is being put forward by the Bills which makes me worry that the older player is actually recvering better. There was some delay in even deciding whether Euhus would need surgry which I took as a sign of less of an injury for this younger player, but the doubts are still there. I think it is reasonable to guess that one of them will come back to be serviceable though not great this year. If Euhus in fact is well enough to play this year then I do not think it is unreasonable to hope that by next year he will make hurting our cap with a purchase of Franks less useful and certainly not necessary.

Everett- Picking him as a draft choice made the Franks option unecessary in both the short and long term. Yet another bif TE injury makes consideration for the short-terms a good thing to do, but as the current medical prognsis is for him to potentially even play late this season (I doubt thid, but the Bills as in the cases of WM and JP seem to like keeping an injured player with IR noises on the roster so they can use him if necessary and not have the restructions on practicing this player designed to stop teams from inessence red-shirting a plsyer on IR.

The injury to Everett makes a Franks pick-up a smart thing to do in the short-term but as soon as next year we would have 4 round draftee Euhus, 3rd round draftee Everett and bg FA pick-up Franks all needing OT as a starter pr reserve and one of these investments will be a loser for the Bills,

Neufeld- Not starting quality at all. However, thank gosh we had him when our starting two TEs went down and he also can play credibly in the bsckfield as an H-back. Let's all hope as Bills fans that he gets cut because if he makes the team it probably means that ecovery from injuries did not work out well for a couple of players.

Trafford- Another player who we better thank gosh for because when we needed some depth behind Neufeld (who is not starter quality himself) Trafford stepped up. He even caught a nifty pass from JP on a late-season mop-up drive. He better be cut or we are in trouble.

Peters- I know he is a T on this team and on our roster but this still strikes me as a bad move because if in fact he is such a penomenal athlete then why on earth are we taking the ball out of his hands at the position that won him a spot on our PS and forced to activate him rather than lose him to someone signing him off our PS and activating him as a TE. He is Wonderlic is incredily low, but if he is too much of a doofus to be trusted as a reciever do you really want to trust him at a position he never played in college to guard JPs blindside.

His great play on ST last year showed what kind of an athlete he is with bulk, speed, and soft-hands and a nose for the ball that allowed him top block a kick, recover it and score the TD. Form what I've seen he is even as good as a healthy Everett to become the TE you want with a Frank signature. I hope Gandy works out not simply because we badly need an LT, but I am hoping he works out and allowsPeters to force himself onto this team as a TE.