Mortenson weighs in on TH situation....

Buftex

On NFL LIVE tonight (finally a reason to tune into ESPN), Mortenson and Clayton were talking the NFL issues of the day. According to Mort (and I hadn't heard this anywhere else), the Jaguars were trying to negotiate a contract with TH's agent this past weekend, leading one to believe that JAX is serious about obtaining Henry. Mortenson is of the opinion that the Bills will stand firm on their demand for a third rounder, and he thinks that would be very wise. He baught up the possibilty of McGahee getting injured, or another injury around the leauge, making Travis that much more attractive to someone.

My own opinion is that Mort is right (although I might even demand a 3rd, with a possible 2nd should he reach certain performance levels), because not only is TH a better than average, proven (to an extent) starting NFL running back, his salary demands are never going to be as high as some of the other higher profile running backs being dangled by other teams.

I mean no harm to TH and I hope he does well (except for playing the Bills), but how great would it be to give Jax back a little of that Rob Johnson trade sting.

Jeff

381352[/snapback]

Really though. Were other teams willing to give up as much? Or did Jax pull a fast one on Butler? Or did Ralph desperately want him on the team or what?

So.... let me get this straight. Travis has been pouting because he's stuck in a situation where he plays behind a clear-cut Number One who has injury concerns, and has demanded a trade - and now he's going to a situation where he'll likely be playing behind a clear-cut Number One who has injury concerns.

:D

So.... let me get this straight.  Travis has been pouting because he's stuck in a situation where he plays behind a clear-cut Number One who has injury concerns, and has demanded a trade - and now he's going to a situation where he'll likely be playing behind a clear-cut Number One who has injury concerns.

381406[/snapback]

Actually, it must mean forget Fred Taylor for this year (or at least much of it). Why would Jax talk contract with a guy they want for the bench? They wouldn't want to tie up the money it would take for a TH extension on someone they don't expect to play. If they just want a back-up they should be asking about Shaud Williams.

So.... let me get this straight.  Travis has been pouting because he's stuck in a situation where he plays behind a clear-cut Number One who has injury concerns, and has demanded a trade - and now he's going to a situation where he'll likely be playing behind a clear-cut Number One who has injury concerns.

381406[/snapback]

I'm starting to believe that Fred Taylor is on his last legs and this may be his final year as a starter (if he even does that this year). So if TH signs with Jax, he is probably also thinking it would be a good place to be for his future not just this year.

I'm starting to believe that Fred Taylor is on his last legs and this may be his final year as a starter (if he even does that this year).  So if TH signs with Jax, he is probably also thinking it would be a good place to be for his future not just this year.

381412[/snapback]

For the umpteenth time folks - Taylor reported a few weeks ago that he had two torn ligaments which were operated on last December! There is no way he will be ready to play by September let alone mid July. Not to mention Taylor was injury prone anyway. The Jags front office lied stating it was only a 'scope so the Taylor announcement (which the Jaguars front office admitted was true) was BIG news. Do ANY of you know of ANY player who has come back from this type of surgery in 7-9 months? The standard recovery time is one year to be able to play and two years to be 100%.

In the next few weeks, Taylor will begin to run around and prove to them that he is - at best - at 50% which would be pretty good just 7 months after a double reconstruct. If the Jags go into the season depending on Taylor then they are nuts.

The Jags will cough up the 3rd rounder.

richNjoisy

On NFL LIVE tonight (finally a reason to tune into ESPN)

;)

I agree.....for some reason...I was half asleep when this program came on and at first i thought it was a repeat from last year. :D

then i listened to some of the current topics....and i sat up and paid attention.

I LOVE the NFL!!!

his salary demands are never going to be as high as some of the other higher profile running backs being dangled by other teams.

381320[/snapback]

The last time I heard, he wanted a contract in the neighborhood of what

Jordan got with the Radiers...5M+ bonus and 25M/5yr contract....I am not

sure if any team has that kind of Cap space to pay for a player like TH.

381406[/snapback]

Exactly....If TH is bent on getting (demanding) a starting job, he is not

gettitng it anywhere else...I don't know why he ever burnt the bridges

with the Bills staff....

For the umpteenth time folks - Taylor reported a few weeks ago that he had two torn ligaments which were operated on last December! There is no way he will be ready to play by September let alone mid July. Not to mention Taylor was injury prone anyway.

richNjoisy

381424[/snapback]

If that was true, wouldn't you think the Jags would have picked one of

the RB in the 1st three rounds in a RB rich draft....

The truth is somewhere in between....and caught the Jax off guard during

the draft.

I mean no harm to TH and I hope he does well (except for playing the Bills), but how great would it be to give Jax back a little of that Rob Johnson trade sting.

Jeff

381352[/snapback]

Giving Jacksonville a pretty good running back (not great, mind you, but pretty good) in exchange for a third-round pick is the equivalent of giving up the ninth pick in the draft in exchange for Rob Johnson?

Sorry I don't call that payback. Give them Shaud Williams for a third rounder and then we'll call it payback.

I don't believe that Travis will be looking to get paid what Jordan got. And with the Jags, he'd be in his home state, playing on grass, and there's no state income tax, so I can see him taking a "home state" discount in any case. And as for Taylor, I doubt he ever comes back to his pre-injury form. Too much mileage, wear, and tear.

If that was true, wouldn't you think the Jags would have picked one of

the RB in the 1st three rounds in  a RB rich draft....

The truth is somewhere in between....and caught the Jax off guard during

the draft.

381474[/snapback]

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=2093822

Check out the article which confirmed this - The "in-between" conjecture is somewhat confirmed but the article also mentions the jag coaches lauding the work of " two young backs, third-year pro LaBrandon Toefield and 2005 fourth-round draft choice Alvin Pearman, and expressed confidence the two could successfully fill in if Taylor's recovery is prolonged."

I think the jags were unwilling to use another draft pick on a RB, were hoping for good news on taylor (which seems crazy to me given the severity of his injury), AND - and this may be the key point - were hoping to get Henry on-the-cheap as a further safety valve.

It looks like this is going to work out for the Bills, perhaps for Henry , and for the jaguars. The holdup may actually be TD trying to get a conditional 3rd rounder. The 3rd rounder straight up seems all but assured now IMO. The conditional one WILL happen if the Jags wait too long and another team loses their starter during the preseason (not THAT unlikely a scenario).

-RnJ

Check out the article which confirmed this - The "in-between" conjecture is somewhat confirmed but the article also mentions the jag coaches lauding the work of " two young backs, third-year pro LaBrandon Toefield and 2005 fourth-round draft choice Alvin Pearman, and expressed confidence the two could successfully fill in if Taylor's recovery is prolonged."

I think the jags were unwilling to use another draft pick on a RB, were hoping for good news on taylor (which seems crazy to me given the severity of his injury), AND - and this may be the key point - were hoping to get Henry on-the-cheap as a further safety valve.

It looks like this is going to work out for the Bills, perhaps for Henry , and for the jaguars. The holdup may actually be TD trying to get a conditional 3rd rounder. The 3rd rounder straight up seems all but assured now IMO. The conditional one WILL happen if the Jags wait too long and another team loses their starter during the preseason (not THAT unlikely a scenario).

-RnJ

381489[/snapback]

The next couple weeks should heat up. Everyone could be holding strong on their offers, but the teams that need the RB (not the Bills) are the ones that are going to suffer the most by not pulling the trigger quicker. If Taylor is really not going to play, or play early, and they want Henry, the pressure will start to build on them, not us. RB is probably the easiest position to just walk in and play, especially for a veteran, but still, it is far better to get the guy in during training camp.

The conditional element of the trade really shouldn't be all that important to teams, even though at this point they may say differently, trying to get the best deal. Just the terms of it are important. For the simple reason that if you could see in the future and say, Henry is going to give you 1300 yards and 10 TDs and you give us a second rounder, they would leap at the chance and be happy. So they would make the deal for a #3 which becomes a #2 at those numbers.

Perhaps the Jags believed the wisdom offered on this board by posters such as Bill from NYC that the Bills should simply cut Travis and be done with him because he is not a good enough player to be a Bill.

This is one Bill's fan who is glad that TD had a more real view of TH'strade value. Trade value and how good one judges a player to be are two different things. If some team is willing to give you a pick like a 3rd for Billy Jow Hobert or a 1st and a 4th for Rob Johnson then that is their trade value regardless of how you or anyone else assess their production as a player.

Is TH worth a 3rd (or 2nd or a 4th or a cut) to the Bills because of his talent? Who cares. The issue is what is a player worth to a potential trade partner. This issue is determined not simply by an assessment of his play (which is reasonably debatable across the board) but the market is also determined by whom else is available (among past starters particularly those who made the Pro Boal Fred Taylor appears not to be, Shaun Alexander theoretically may be). what is there immediate and future cap hit (Alexander's value if traded is likely to be huge in both regards and TH is small immediately and negotiable from a position of strength for the team in the long-term and even better TH has a record of being an idiot who will take doable amounts of upfront cash in exchange for forgoing a big debt that comes later), and trade value is determined by marketability (which the hopes attached to a former Pro Bowler can be sold this year regardless of future production) rather than purely by assessment of future prospects.

-RnJ

381489[/snapback]

Travis Henry has been in Jacksonville last weekend working on a contract extension with his agent and working out for the team. He said that he believes Travis Henry will be traded before training camp and that the Titans are also a possibility.