49ers shopping DE's Engleberger & Carter

PIZ

I'd like to see a defense that doesn't crumble in their most critical game.

380619[/snapback]

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/teamstats/NFL_20050102_PIT@BUF

It looks here (and from my view at the stadium that day) like maybe some other factors including offensive "3 and outs", fumbles, INT's and missed FG's weighed in a bit more than any "crumble" by our D.

It looks here (and from my view at the stadium that day) like maybe some other factors including offensive "3 and outs", fumbles, INT's and missed FG's weighed in a bit more than any "crumble" by our D.

380754[/snapback]

I don't believe there was any single factor for that loss. All of those things factored into it. Did the defense falter in the clutch? Yes. Did the offense help that along w/ missed opportunities and sloppy play? Absolutely. To try to single out one single factor as the reason we lost would be very inaccurate.

they are both soo slow...

at least in madden anyways. i hate playing with both of those de's

380616[/snapback]

are you serious? Carter is one of the fastest DE's in madden he's like a 78 speed.(faster than most linebackers in the game). Engleberger does suck in madden though.

But in real life Carter is pretty good.

I don't believe there was any single factor for that loss.  All of those things factored into it.  Did the defense falter in the clutch?  Yes.  Did the offense help that along w/ missed opportunities and sloppy play?  Absolutely.  To try to single out one single factor as the reason we lost would be very inaccurate.

380760[/snapback]

#2 defenses rise to the occasion regardless of their offensive teammate's mistakes. - so the theory goes.

IRRC, they got walked upon all by themselves.

380754[/snapback]

I recall sensing that Bledsoe was going to have "one of those days",

which we were all too familiar with, which he did, and basically helped take

the steam out of the team. It was almost like guys on the team were thinking,

great, here we go again.

From the First Half

==============

2-10-BUF25 (9:59) D.Bledsoe pass incomplete to L.Evans (W.Williams). Thrown behind receiver, nearly intercepted at BUF 30, right side.

3-10-BUF25 (9:55) (Shotgun) D.Bledsoe sacked at BUF 18 for -7 yards (T.Polamalu).

1-10-BUF21 (3:22) D.Bledsoe pass intended for R.Neufeld INTERCEPTED by L.Foote at BUF 25. L.Foote to BUF 24 for 1 yard (R.Tucker).

1-20-BUF44 (11:19) (Shotgun) D.Bledsoe pass incomplete to L.Evans (C.Hope). Receiver overthrown, nearly intercepted at PIT 40, over middle. Pressure on QB: C.Hoke.

2-20-BUF44 (11:11) (No Huddle) D.Bledsoe pass incomplete to Jo.Reed (R.Stuvaints). Receiver and coverage at 50, left side.

3-20-BUF44 (11:07) (Shotgun) D.Bledsoe pass incomplete to L.Evans. Underthrown, receiver at PIT 41, left side.

they are both soo slow...

at least in madden anyways. i hate playing with both of those de's

380616[/snapback]

Ah, yes, I'm sure TD and MM give great credence to their Madden performances in evaluating talent.

I don't believe there was any single factor for that loss.  All of those things factored into it.  Did the defense falter in the clutch?  Yes.  Did the offense help that along w/ missed opportunities and sloppy play?  Absolutely.  To try to single out one single factor as the reason we lost would be very inaccurate.

380760[/snapback]

True, and that's why I brought up all of those factors as a group. My point though was that all defenses give up drives or a big run/pass play here and there (although we did shut them down for most of the day other than the one long run) but Turnovers are swing points (ie. Clements fumbles on a change of possession, Bledsoe giftwraps a touchdown on a boneheaded play) and that constant three and outs by our offense through the middle quarters of the game cause defensive fatigue. A football game to me is "built" over 4 quarters and develops it's own "history" based on events that have happened over the course of the game; events that impact the end of the game. I for one, refuse to include our defense in any blame game about the loss to Pitt last season without mentioning those other factors first.

R. Rich Posted Today, 12:56 PM

QUOTE(34-78-83 @ Jul 13 2005, 01:50 PM)

I don't believe there was any single factor for that loss. All of those things factored into it. Did the defense falter in the clutch? Yes. Did the offense help that along w/ missed opportunities and sloppy play? Absolutely. To try to single out one single factor as the reason we lost would be very inaccurate.

I agree with you R.Rich. There were many reasons why the Bills lost that game. It is very difficult to pin it all on just one side of the team. The entire team did not look good throughout the entire game.

One thing that I have reminded people about that game was how Mike Mularkey picked the worst time of the season to coach his worst game.

The offensive play calling was far too ultra conservative. Where were the trick plays? Why were we throwing short passes over the middle to our TE's constantly?

Why did we wait until late in the second half to throw deep to Evans? Why did'nt the Bills offense come out guns-a-blazing? I did not get that sense of urgency from the Bills that the playoffs were on the line. I could be wrong, but they seemed subdued.

Even when they had the lead 17-16, it still seemed like they were playing not to lose. When Lindell missed that 28 yard FG, it almost sealed the Bills' fate, even though they were still winning at the time. Just my opinion.