OT: I need more advice!

Ok. Long post, but I need some advice...

So some of you might remember I jumped jobs a month or two back now. Well, as it turns out, the new company is everything all of the interviewers said it would be. They're profitable, fasted paced, in the middle of technology. All of the good things.

However.

With the exception of two others, all of my new co-workers are simply IDIOTS :angry:!

For instance, today the lead on the project I'm working on came over to my desk and asked me where I was. I explained to him that (our) boss had delayed the project a week, so I was taking some time to make sure I got an API correct. He ran off, grabbed our boss, and procceded to give me the third degree. "What do you mean?" "You should have had that last week!", "Don't you know about priorities?!", "I told you what you need to do, you'd better have it done."

He did this in front of my boss. When I defended myself, he further pushed me into a hole. An hour later he pulled me aside to give me the "feel good, I was only concerned about your progress from a personal growth standoint" talk. Sure. Whatever. Smile and Nod.

Last Friday, one of them had a problem during a build. The names of the source files that errored out where *LIKE* the names of the ones I was working on - but not mine. This woman stood behind my desk and demanded we look at all of the source control logs until she was satisfied it wasn't me. She's supposed to be a peer. She scolded me for not following all of the tests that were in the email she had sent out (two weeks before I started, I might add).

And (I really don't mean for this to sound bad), all but about three of us are Indian. Anyone know how frustrating it is to have people standing at your cubical discussing something in a different language, ask a question of me, and then going back to that other language?

When I started, we had one CEO who was trying to bring the shop out of a "Startup" mentality and move it more towards the mainstream. I met with him as part of the interview process. They were hiring those of us that have been through an IPO before to try and bring the rest of the shop up to par. A week later he resigned, they put the founder back in charge.. and he put all of the original group back in charge. We (those of us that have done this before) were more or less told to sit down and do our jobs. Ever since then, they bring me a list of software features to implement, and I do it item by item.

They're *always* watching the three of us. If we leave 15 minutes early (doesn't matter if we got there 15 minutes early), they complain about how slack we are to management.

I don't want to pack up. I'm not trying to complain, I'm simply frustrated. I need advice. Here I am at 9:30 at night locked in my home office writing software for them because of that "deadline changed.. oh wait no it didn't" snafu. I really thought I was getting into something that was going to be rewarding, challenging.. kinda bummed, really.

Thoughts?

The grass is always greener....

That's why I'm hesitant to leave my current position. Despite the flaws, at least I know the flaws and can work around them...

That said, how was the job market when you were looking? Could always look again...

You probably don't want to sit and stew about it though. Either talk to someone or start looking again. That's my opinion anyway.

CW

Since the founder came back, his priorities are not the same ones you signed on for, and the company seems to have drifted to another direction.

In this case it isnt about the blame game which is very common these days, but to accomplish what you can for them while you are there. If you have a boss with any semblance of a spine, let him or her know that you will take his directives, but not to get tangled in thier political crap.

In the meantime start putting the feelers out at some of the other stops you made on the way. If I recall, the old job was worried about losing you, its very rare that you can go back, but it is not unheard of, I left my company 6 years ago, and after 4 years away they took me back at the new salary. That was lucky, but not unheard of. Check to see where the guy that hired you went, if he was happy with you, he may have something in the works at his new place.

Bottom line, stay focused and keep your eyes on the exit.

Yeah, I think I was in too much of a hurry to get out of where I was. I think we'll stick it out while poking around known avenues to see if something else becomes available. I don't want to just bail on it right away. I'll tell you, I'll be soooo much more careful from here on out.

"Whoops."

Anyone need a computer guy in the Atlanta area? :angry:

Ok. Long post, but I need some advice...

So some of you might remember I jumped jobs a month or two back now.  Well, as it turns out, the new company is everything all of the interviewers said it would be. They're profitable, fasted paced, in the middle of technology.  All of the good things.

However.

With the exception of two others, all of my new co-workers are simply IDIOTS  :angry:!

For instance, today the lead on the project I'm working on came over to my desk and asked me where I was. I explained to him that (our) boss had delayed the project a week, so I was taking some time to make sure I got an API correct.  He ran off, grabbed our boss, and procceded to give me the third degree.  "What do you mean?"  "You should have had that last week!", "Don't you know about priorities?!", "I told you what you need to do, you'd better have it done."

He did this in front of my boss.  When I defended myself, he further pushed me into a hole.  An hour later he pulled me aside to give me the "feel good, I was only concerned about your progress from a personal growth standoint" talk. Sure. Whatever. Smile and Nod.

Last Friday, one of them had a problem during a build.  The names of the source files that errored out where *LIKE* the names of the ones I was working on - but not mine.  This woman stood behind my desk and demanded we look at all of the source control logs until she was satisfied it wasn't me. She's supposed to be a peer.  She scolded me for not following all of the tests that were in the email she had sent out (two weeks before I started, I might add). 

And (I really don't mean for this to sound bad), all but about three of us are Indian.  Anyone know how frustrating it is to have people standing at your cubical discussing something in a different language, ask a question of me, and then going back to that other language?

When I started, we had one CEO who was trying to bring the shop out of a "Startup" mentality and move it more towards the mainstream.  I met with him as part of the interview process.  They were hiring those of us that have been through an IPO before to try and bring the rest of the shop up to par.  A week later he resigned, they put the founder back in charge.. and he put all of the original group back in charge. We (those of us that have done this before) were more or less told to sit down and do our jobs.  Ever since then, they bring me a list of software features to implement, and I do it item by item.

They're *always* watching the three of us.  If we leave 15 minutes early (doesn't matter if we got there 15 minutes early), they complain about how slack we are to management.

I don't want to pack up.  I'm not trying to complain, I'm simply frustrated.  I need advice.  Here I am at 9:30 at night locked in my home office writing software for them because of that "deadline changed.. oh wait no it didn't" snafu. I really thought I was getting into something that was going to be rewarding, challenging..  kinda bummed, really.

Thoughts?

380319[/snapback]

My personal philosophy, for what its worth to you, is LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE HAPPY! I will tell you that personally I was in a similar predicament just a year ago. Having worked my ass off for a company for 5 years being treated like garbage I searched every possible avenue of escape and now have after one year, a position where I'm valued, appreciated, and genuinely RESPECTED. It has relieved my anxieties of going to work and more importantly made my homelife better, I wish you luck whatever you decide! :blink:

I am "a boss".

I will give you the same info that I give all my employees:

WRITE IT ALL DOWN.

- Prepare summaries of every meeting (no matter how short) and e-mail them out to every meeting attendee and affected person.

- If you are out of the office, e-mail everyone as well.

You will be amazed at how different your co-workers will act when stuff is in writing (rather than "he said, she said").

Spend a week getting t the office before everyone else, leaving after everyone else has left, and document everything. People who act like your coworkers are probably aware you were brought in to do a job they couldn't do. They all complained to the old boss, who fired the new boss so the people who can't do anything can go back to being in charge. That makes you the enemy.

Work harder than them. Work faster than them. Start taking the offensive and begin pointing out things THEY may be doing wrong...do it in a nice way...and scare the living !@#$ out of everyone because there is no way any of them will put in the hours your are putting in.

Just do it for a week. Try setting up a meeting at 7 a.m. or 5 p.m. Really bust balls.

You're kinda !@#$ed, so I'd !@#$ back.

I totally agree with life is way too short to be feeling like this. If you are already feeling the eyeballs on you constantly, chances are it will only get worse. I am in Sports Marketing and have been for the last 10 years. It was not until my 4th company in the industry that I finally felt like I could breathe and do my thing. I was almost driven insane by the micro management of a a couple of my old bosses. It is never easy to change jobs but I never realized how happy you can be at work when you find the right fit (and the right people). Good Luck

Spend a week getting t the office before everyone else, leaving after everyone else has left, and document everything. People who act like your coworkers are probably aware you were brought in to do a job they couldn't do. They all complained to the old boss, who fired the new boss so the people who can't do anything can go back to being in charge. That makes you the enemy.

Work harder than them. Work faster than them. Start taking the offensive and begin pointing out things THEY may be doing wrong...do it in a nice way...and scare the living !@#$ out of everyone because there is no way any of them will put in the hours your are putting in.

Just do it for a week. Try setting up a meeting at 7 a.m. or 5 p.m. Really bust balls.

380516[/snapback]

BEST ADVICE IN THIS POST!!!

380516[/snapback]

Exactly.

Just be careful you don't lose sight of the fact they pay your bills. I agree that no one should work somewhere they are unhappy, but you have to be able to have thick skin in your position.

I'm a card dealer. Poker and Black Jack. Any abuse you ever face at work, I double in my first hour. I went to college and hated the 'office environment' so I got out. I love my job but the abuse is horrible.

My job goes like this.

I have 18 bosses. No matter if i'm right or wrong about anything, I'm wrong. I can't voice my opinion on anything for 12 hours. Customers curse me out with every four letter word imaginable. I wouldn't quit though. I show up early and work harder so that every person that matters, respects me.

Gut it out a while and see if anything changes. Good with the bad man, good with the bad.

Exactly.

Just be careful you don't lose sight of the fact they pay your bills.  I agree that no one should work somewhere they are unhappy, but you have to be able to have thick skin in your position. 

I'm a card dealer.  Poker and Black Jack.  Any abuse you ever face at work, I double in my first hour.  I went to college and hated the 'office environment' so I got out.  I love my job but the abuse is horrible. 

My job goes like this.

I have 18 bosses.  No matter if i'm right or wrong about anything, I'm wrong.  I can't voice my opinion on anything for 12 hours.  Customers curse me out with every four letter word imaginable. I wouldn't quit though.  I show up early and work harder so that every person that matters, respects me. 

Gut it out a while and see if anything changes.  Good with the bad man, good with the bad.

380547[/snapback]

How much they pay ya if ya don't mind me asking?

How much they pay ya if ya don't mind me asking?

380551[/snapback]

Pay isn't great, but tips and benefits are. 4.00 base plus a quarter for every other game you know. If you knew Craps, Roullette, Poker, BlackJack and the carnival games(carribean stud, 3 card, etc.) You'd still only make 5.25 to start.

However, on tips you can make alot of fuggin money. Blackjack tips range from 12 to 20 an hour. Poker is substantially higher.

Average rate is about 16 or 17 an hour with tips, but they have a great benefit program as well. Cheap insurance. Also, 40 20 splits or 60 20 splits. In an 8 hour day you may work about 6 hours.

When I started, we had one CEO who was trying to bring the shop out of a "Startup" mentality and move it more towards the mainstream.  I met with him as part of the interview process.  They were hiring those of us that have been through an IPO before to try and bring the rest of the shop up to par.  A week later he resigned, they put the founder back in charge.. and he put all of the original group back in charge. We (those of us that have done this before) were more or less told to sit down and do our jobs.  Ever since then, they bring me a list of software features to implement, and I do it item by item.

380319[/snapback]

Can't really comment on the job situation, but I can guess with a certain degree of confidence that the IPO is not happening. So, if you're there for the payday of the offering consider the situation.