ESPN Insider - Seahawks renew interest in TH

Words aren't always followed by actions in the NFL. Sometimes, though, there are reactions that turn diatribes into deeds, and that could be the case for the Seattle Seahawks in their dealings with disgruntled tailback Shaun Alexander.

In the wake of Alexander's public pronouncements last week, in which he indicated he will not play in 2005 without a long-term contract, Seattle officials have renewed their interest in Buffalo Bills tailback Travis Henry, who has been on the trading block much of the offseason.

The Seahawks first spoke with the Bills about Henry before the draft, but talks then went dormant until last week, when Seattle checked in on his status. The contact with the Bills came after Alexander's remarks and the two teams are expected to speak again this week.

The NFL's second-leading rusher in '05, and a two-time Pro Bowl performer, Alexander has rushed for more than 1,000 yards and at least 14 touchdowns each of the last four seasons. He said last week, though, that it is "out of the question" he will sign the qualifying offer of $6.32 million that accompanies his franchise player status.

Because league rules prohibit a player not under contract from participating in offseason workouts, Alexander hasn't been around for any voluntary or minicamp sessions. Since the Seahawks are not inclined at this point to work on a long-term contract, it seems a good bet Alexander will not be on hand when the Seahawks open camp July 28.

Henry has twice rushed for 1,000 yards in his career but lost his starting job to Willis McGahee in 2004 when he was injured. The four-year veteran, regarded as one of the NFL's toughest backs, has boycotted all of the Bills' offseason workouts and vowed to skip camp. He is entering the final season of his contract, scheduled for a base salary of $1.25 million, and any team that dealt for Henry would want an extension.

The Tennessee Titans and Jacksonville Jaguars remain the teams most likely to trade for Henry, and both clubs have had in-depth discussions with Buffalo officials and Henry's agent, Hadley Engelhard. The Titans are seeking a backup to oft-injured starter Chris Brown and the Jaguars want insurance in the event star tailback Fred Taylor is not sufficiently recovered from offseason knee surgery.

Because the Jaguars are expected to ramp up Taylor's workouts in an effort to determine the status of his recovery, this could be a key week for both team and player.

With the renewed interest of the Seahawks, though, the Bills have gained another suitor for Henry, and perhaps, increased leverage. Buffalo president and general manger Tom Donahoe has held firm on his demand for a third-round draft choice in return for Henry.

For the Seahawks, of course, the question of what to do with Alexander certainly remains paramount. Seattle has the prerogative of rescinding the franchise marker at any time, thus making Alexander an unrestricted free agent, with the possibility of having him leave and getting nothing in return. The Seahawks would consider trading Alexander, but he has generated little interest around the league.

I've heard some rumors that the Seahawks might remove the franchise tender on Alexander and/or release him outright.  I don't think they're finding any takers for him despite just a 3rd round price tag, because of his high salary demands.  It will be interesting to see if they actually do that.

378836[/snapback]

How does that work? If Alexander refuses to sign the franchise tender and the Seahawks do not remove the franchise tag it seems to me that the Seahawks would not have to pay a dime yet retain the rights to Alexander. IMO all the leverage is in the Seahawks hands. I would keep the tag, not pay a dime and make Alexander either sit out the season or come begging back to play for one year for $6+ million somepoint during the season. Play hardball Seattle!

How does that work?  If Alexander refuses to sign the franchise tender and the Seahawks do not remove the franchise tag it seems to me that the Seahawks would not have to pay a dime yet retain the rights to Alexander.  IMO all the leverage is in the Seahawks hands.  I would keep the tag, not pay a dime and make Alexander either sit out the season or come begging back to play for one year for $6+ million somepoint during the season.  Play hardball Seattle!

378841[/snapback]

I think the issue is if they don't remove the franchise tag, they lose it for next year. I'm not sure, though.

Honestly i like Alexander's position on this. From all i have read he hasn't been unreasonable in his contract demands, he just wants to have a long term deal to STAY in seattle for the rest of his career. Is a 3 or 4 year deal too much an asking price for one of the best backs in the NFL right now (if not the best).

I think the issue is if they don't remove the franchise tag, they lose it for next year. I'm not sure, though.

378855[/snapback]

I think the only way to lose the franchise tag is to sign the player to a long term deal between march ?? and July ??. There is a set time where if you negotiate during that time, the franchise tag stays with the contract through the duration of the contract.