Bin Laden?

Right now Bin Laden is operationally impotent. AQ and the franchises are well aware of that. As was mentioned, he IS still an ideological figurehead. Keeping him out of the public eye, whether by killing him or trying him, harms him more than us. He can make all the speeches he wants, but he's basically old news to anyone in the terror guy chain of command. Bin Laden didn't plan the 9/11 attacks, anyway. He was "chief of state", giving approvals and encouragement - but the actual planner is dead. He still says "Yea, Verily" on occassion to keep the masses pumped - but can't do much else. He can and does give general strategic direction, but their strategy is pretty easy. Any number of several could do it. To kill him now, by that I mean a full court press to go after him, would do much more harm than good in the overall scheme of things.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most would.  Doesn't mean that's the most effective way to prosecute the campaign against him, though.

378954[/snapback]

The time to go balls out and show the world we were "mad as hell and not gonna take it anymore" was in the months after 9/11. We could have pulled a "Sherman", rolled and flew the entire U.S. Military across Afghanistan, flattenned the place, gotten Omar, gotten bin Laden and could have had a "bin Laden skull keg party" on CNN, with GWB slugging Coors Light out of bin Laden's bloody head and NOBODY ANYWHERE would have said a damn word.

The time to go balls out and show the world we were "mad as hell and not gonna take it anymore" was in the months after 9/11. We could have pulled a "Sherman", rolled and flew the entire U.S. Military across Afghanistan, flattenned the place, gotten Omar, gotten bin Laden and could have had a "bin Laden skull keg party" on CNN, with GWB slugging Coors Light out of bin Laden's bloody head and NOBODY ANYWHERE would have said a damn word.

379027[/snapback]

Which still would have made him a martyr.

Look, you put him in front of me and hand me a gun, I'll personally put a bullet in his brainpan. But that's vengeance, not strategy. From a strategic point of view, we're better off now with him alive and marginalized rather than dead and martyred.

Sincerely,

Clueless Liberals (or "pussies" to use "Team America!" verbage)

378945[/snapback]

And if we kill the whole middle east, we'll wipe out the problem.

Sincerely,

!@#$! (to use Team America! verbage) Conservatives

I love Team America. :ph34r:

Seems like the "administration" has been hinting the last few weeks that Bin Laden is in Iran. Ultimately, it won't matter if he is, as long as there is a reason to invade Iran...and like Rich In Ohio says, once he isn't found there, he will be proclaimed as pretty inconsequencial at this point...the groundwork is being laid!

Right now Bin Laden is operationally impotent. AQ and the franchises are well aware of that. As was mentioned, he IS still an ideological figurehead. Keeping him out of the public eye, whether by killing him or trying him, harms him more than us. He can make all the speeches he wants, but he's basically old news to anyone in the terror guy chain of command. Bin Laden didn't plan the 9/11 attacks, anyway. He was "chief of state", giving approvals and encouragement - but the actual planner is dead. He still says "Yea, Verily" on occassion to keep the masses pumped - but can't do much else. He can and does give general strategic direction, but their strategy is pretty easy. Any number of several could do it. To kill him now, by that I mean a full court press to go after him, would do much more harm than good in the overall scheme of things.

378976[/snapback]

Provided that Zarqawi would be the one that is responsible for help in planning an/the attack on US, then he would be more important. Otherwise we could be harboring false hope on that one... time will tell. I guarantee no one wants to pull out of Iraq now. But Zarqawi just a renegade terrorist in Iraq. Time will tell if the administration was strategiclly correct regardless of political motives for war or not. Capturing Bin Laden would give the world a boost of moral not to mention thanks to the good ole USA.

Alive and hiding in a cave somewhere in the Hindu Kush.

Which, when you think about it, is the best thing for us.  Kill him, and you make him a martyr.  Capture him and put him on trial, and you not only make him a martyr but give him more credibility than he deserves.  Keep him hiding in caves in the western Himalayan plateau, and he's as marginalized as you can likely make him.

378786[/snapback]

Agreed.

But the Zarq-man is over in Iraq, he's not threatening us, he just wants us out of Iraq, so if we leave Iraq immediately he'll leave us alone and everything in the world will be sunshine and lollipops...  :ph34r:

378935[/snapback]

...and babies and rainbows.....

BTW, if OBL lives another 30 years I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually gets the "Castro" treatment, or worse yet the "Arafat" treatment, and he's eventually looked on as an important and influential "leader" who brought about global change in the early 21st century.

[/mainstream media whitewashing of murderous thug]

...and babies and rainbows.....

BTW, if OBL lives another 30 years I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually gets the "Castro" treatment, or worse yet the "Arafat" treatment, and he's eventually looked on as an important and influential "leader" who brought about global change in the early 21st century.

[/mainstream media whitewashing of murderous thug]

379111[/snapback]

The Arafat treatment? You mean he is going to get the Nobel Peace Prize?

Hard to believe a 5'6" 145 pound guy sporting a duck tail and a leather jacket could lead the "Hotpockets" revolution - but lead he did.

379156[/snapback]

He did indeed change our world, and then produced MacGyver.

That man just kept on giving. <_<

Provided that Zarqawi would be the one that is responsible for help in planning an/the attack on US, then he would be more important. Otherwise we could be harboring false hope on that one... time will tell. I guarantee no one wants to pull out of Iraq now. But Zarqawi just a renegade terrorist in Iraq. Time will tell if the administration was strategiclly correct regardless of political motives for war or not. Capturing Bin Laden would give the world a boost of moral not to mention thanks to the good ole USA.

379098[/snapback]

I'd love to sit down and have a drink with you sometime. You have much to learn, grasshopper.