interesting bit on peerless price

from pete prisco's cbs column:

The Falcons have decided to keep Peerless Price and give him a chance to redeem himself for two lackluster seasons since they traded a first-round pick to get him two years ago. But there are some inside the Falcons building who think Price has been open more than his numbers indicate. That means Michael Vick hasn't used him enough. The feeling is that Vick doesn't look to the receivers enough and instead uses tight end Alge Crumpler as his security blanket too much. That was something Price said to me late last season, although he didn't quite come out and blame Vick. Instead, he told me to watch the tapes. Word is those tapes show Price open. So why not give him another shot?

The Falcons also have Michael Jenkins, a 2003 first-round pick, and Roddy White, a 2004 first-round pick, in the mix at receiver to go with Brian Finneran and Dez White. The word is that Roddy White didn't show as well as the Falcons say he did during the team's offseason work. In fact, some said he came across as a cocky player who needed to be taken down a peg. So don't be surprised when the smoke clears if Price is again one of the team's starting receivers. Maybe he'll finally get some use.

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8630245

The Falcons have decided to keep Peerless Price and give him a chance to redeem himself for two lackluster seasons since they traded a first-round pick to get him two years ago. But there are some inside the Falcons building who think Price has been open more than his numbers indicate. That means Michael Vick hasn't used him enough. The feeling is that Vick doesn't look to the receivers enough and instead uses tight end Alge Crumpler as his security blanket too much. That was something Price said to me late last season, although he didn't quite come out and blame Vick. Instead, he told me to watch the tapes. Word is those tapes show Price open. So why not give him another shot?

The Falcons also have Michael Jenkins, a 2003 first-round pick, and Roddy White, a 2004 first-round pick, in the mix at receiver to go with Brian Finneran and Dez White. The word is that Roddy White didn't show as well as the Falcons say he did during the team's offseason work. In fact, some said he came across as a cocky player who needed to be taken down a peg. So don't be surprised when the smoke clears if Price is again one of the team's starting receivers. Maybe he'll finally get some use.

378717[/snapback]

Rumours of Peerless Price's demise have been greatly exaggerated! :ph34r:

Hopefully, we won't see the same sort of thing happen with the Losman to Evans combo!

I didn't put this together before, but the Falcons have put three first rounders into wideouts between Price, Jenkins, and White, and gotten virtually no production?  That's amazing.

378769[/snapback]

Almost makes you wonder if the problems with their passing game is somewhere other than in the hands of their WRs, doesn't it? :ph34r:

Almost makes you wonder if the problems with their passing game is somewhere other than in the hands of their WRs, doesn't it?  :P

378788[/snapback]

Jeez, I know someone from Virginia who has stated this before, and stated the WR's down there were PO'ed at Vick for not getting them the ball. But said individual was told they had no clue what they were talking about. :ph34r:

Jeez, I know someone from Virginia who has stated this before, and stated the WR's down there were PO'ed at Vick for not getting them the ball.  But said individual was told they had no clue what they were talking about.  :ph34r:

378791[/snapback]

Don't get short with me; I agree with you. Anyone who's actually watched Mexico play should agree with you...he's exciting as hell to watch, but a mediocre passer at best, and last I checked "exciting" doesn't win football games...

Don't get short with me; I agree with you.  Anyone who's actually watched Mexico play should agree with you...he's exciting as hell to watch, but a mediocre passer at best, and last I checked "exciting" doesn't win football games...

378793[/snapback]

Chimp man, I am always short compared to you. :ph34r:

Personally i think all the talk about Peerless's eye and how one moment he can have surgery to fix it and then a day later he cannot was a smoke screen that basically says "Vick sucks" at finding WR's.

Don't get short with me; I agree with you.  Anyone who's actually watched Mexico play should agree with you...he's exciting as hell to watch, but a mediocre passer at best, and last I checked "exciting" doesn't win football games...

378793[/snapback]

You know, normally I'd agree with you that "exciting" doesn't win games, but the Falcons record with Vick in the lineup is a whole lot better than the Falcons record without him in the lineup. He's one of the few guys that can win games with his feet....he'll just never win the big games unless he learns to be a more efficient passer (which I'm not sure he can do as inaccurate as he is).

As long as losman is a pocket passer first then we will be ok.  Losman shouldn't be running down the field like a RB like Vick does.

378753[/snapback]

This could be Losman's biggest downside this year. Just look at Vick or McNabb's first few seasons, they quickly left the protection of the pocket at the first sign of trouble. There is nothing wrong with that if they were still looking for receivers but they usually tucked and ran. It is tough reading defenses at full speed.

McNabb has greatly improved, Vick took 49 sacks last year. I hope JP can fall somewhere in between them.

You know, normally I'd agree with you that "exciting" doesn't win games, but the Falcons record with Vick in the lineup is a whole lot better than the Falcons record without him in the lineup.  He's one of the few guys that can win games with his feet....he'll just never win the big games unless he learns to be a more efficient passer (which I'm not sure he can do as inaccurate as he is).

378824[/snapback]

Falcons are 2-10 without Vick the last 3 years and 23-14-1 with him. Not to mention they made the playoffs the two years Vick started the majority of the games

Almost makes you wonder if the problems with their passing game is somewhere other than in the hands of their WRs, doesn't it?  :ph34r:

378788[/snapback]

We have invested 3 1st rounders on our last 3 QBs (Rob, Drew and JP)...

Hope the last one pans out.

378717[/snapback]

i have no respect for mike vick -- er, i mean ron mexico -- as a person or as a passing QB. the comments he made during the offseason about his OL spoke volumes. if you want to criticize your OL you do it the way the greats of the game have done it. you do it in practice, on the sidelines, or in the locker room -- not in a radio interview. he is one of those athletes i enjoy rooting against -- regardless of how "exciting" he is when he's running around with the ball.

it wouldn't surprise me in the least if these comments are accurate and price has been an ignored part of the falcon offense.

As long as losman is a pocket passer first then we will be ok.  Losman shouldn't be running down the field like a RB like Vick does.

378753[/snapback]

That is what some of us are hoping for. If he consistently scrambles, then he will struggle for a few years in the league.

If anyone cares to check the record, "statues" at QB tend to win SB!

You know, normally I'd agree with you that "exciting" doesn't win games, but the Falcons record with Vick in the lineup is a whole lot better than the Falcons record without him in the lineup.  He's one of the few guys that can win games with his feet....he'll just never win the big games unless he learns to be a more efficient passer (which I'm not sure he can do as inaccurate as he is).

378824[/snapback]

I would give the kid another year or two to prove that he can't pass. He has as much pressure on him as any player in the leauge, with all of the hype surrounding him.

Vick has a very strong arm. While it is true he may not be the most accurate, similar criticisms were made of Donavan McNabb, Steve McNair and Dautne Culpepper. All have overcome their deficiencies to varying degrees...don't forget, Vick lost a good part of two seasons to injury...if he has his mind made up that he is going to become a decent passer, I would bet that he will. Randall Cunningham was the same way. His first few years, he was a run first, pass on occasion QB. Once he (and his coaching staff) dedicated themselves to turning him into an all-around QB, he did pretty well for himself...

The fact that the Falcons' record is so much better with Vick under center says alot more about their backup QBs than it does about Vick.  Thank God for Kelly Holcomb.

379140[/snapback]

THE most underrated offseason move in the NFL.