FSU QB Wyatt Sexton diagnosed with Lyme disease

Ramius

apparently the kid has a pretty bad infection, which explains a large chunk of why he was acting so strangely...good luck to the kid and God bless...looks like us 'Noles are pinnin our hopes on 2 QB's with a combined 1 snap of experience, Xavier Lee and Drew Weatherford...

http://seminoles.collegesports.com/sports/.../070905aaa.html

apparently the kid has a pretty bad infection, which explains a large chunk of why he was acting so strangely...good luck to the kid and God bless...looks like us 'Noles are pinnin our hopes on 2 QB's with a combined 1 snap of experience, Xavier Lee and Drew Weatherford...

http://seminoles.collegesports.com/sports/.../070905aaa.html

378196[/snapback]

That is too bad, but the cynic in me doesn't really buy that a "large chunck" of why the kid was delusional. The lime disease will go away, it sounds like he has some pretty serious mental problems, and I mean that in the most clinical terms, not as an insult. I couldn't open your link, but I work in a health facility, and we have dealt with numerous cases of lime disease over the years. It sounds like his problems are a bit bigger. I hope he will be okay...

That is too bad, but the cynic in me doesn't really buy that a "large chunck" of why the kid was delusional.  The lime disease will go away, it sounds like he has some pretty serious mental problems, and I mean that in the most clinical terms, not as an insult.  I couldn't open your link, but I work in a health facility, and we have dealt with numerous cases of lime disease over the years.  It sounds like his problems are a bit bigger.  I hope he will be okay...

378203[/snapback]

From the article:

QUOTE FROM DR. S. CHANDRA SWAMI

"Wyatt has active Lyme Disease that has resulted in neuropsychiatric and cardiovascular deficits. I have strongly recommended intensive therapy with a goal to obtain an optimal state of health. This should include academics and athletics. He should not be stressed by these two disciplines for now."

Another source:

Late persistent Lyme disease is the last and often the most serious stage of the disease. It may develop weeks, months, or rarely, years after the initial infection and can cause:

Joint problems, such as early arthritis that most often affects the knee. A small number of people eventually develop chronic Lyme arthritis, which usually improves with antibiotic treatment. However, joints that have been badly damaged may take a long time to heal or may not respond to antibiotic treatment. In some cases, surgery to remove the lining of the affected joint (synovectomy) may be necessary.

Late nervous system problems, such as pain, weakness, or numbness in the arms or legs that can occur when the bacterial infection has spread to the nerves or spinal cord. Severe headaches, fatigue, or problems with vision, hearing, memory, concentration, and thinking can also develop. Serious nervous system problems can cause severe headache and stiff neck due to inflammation of the tissues surrounding the brain and spinal cord (meningitis); paralysis of the nerves that control the muscles in the face (Bell's palsy); and inflammation of the brain (encephalitis). However, these problems sometimes go away on their own; if not, they usually improve after antibiotic treatment.

Man...That sucks...Go Noles!!!!

Directions to Tallahassee:

Go North until you smell it, Go West until you step in it.

It's a Canes thing, you wouldnt understand.

That is too bad, but the cynic in me doesn't really buy that a "large chunck" of why the kid was delusional.  The lime disease will go away, it sounds like he has some pretty serious mental problems, and I mean that in the most clinical terms, not as an insult.  I couldn't open your link, but I work in a health facility, and we have dealt with numerous cases of lime disease over the years.  It sounds like his problems are a bit bigger.  I hope he will be okay...

378203[/snapback]

Tertiary lyme disease (meaning infection of brain and spinal cord) can certainly cause the delusions and psychotic problems this kid had. The problem with lyme disease that gets to this stage is that its not always reversible. You can kill the bug but the damage may already be done.

I don't know what you do at the health facility but they aren't teaching you enough about lyme disease.

RTB

That is too bad, but the cynic in me doesn't really buy that a "large chunck" of why the kid was delusional.  The lime disease will go away, it sounds like he has some pretty serious mental problems, and I mean that in the most clinical terms, not as an insult. 

378203[/snapback]

I felt the same whay when I heard this news. Some of his symptoms were more indicative of a psychosis, and he is at an age where certain disorders tend to manifest.

I hope he gets the help he needs, whatever is wrong.

Tertiary lyme disease (meaning infection of brain and spinal cord) can certainly cause the delusions and psychotic problems this kid had. The problem with lyme disease that gets to this stage is that its not always reversible. You can kill the bug but the damage may already be done.

I don't know what you do at the health facility but they aren't teaching you enough about lyme disease.

RTB

378744[/snapback]

Don't worry, I am not practicing healthcare, only filing insurance claims on their behalf! :ph34r:

I guess what seems strange to me, is that his problems go way back. If he is part of an athletics program at a major school, it seems like this would have been caught long before it got to this point.