This is some freaky stuff

Military officials also say more needs to be done to assure the international community that directed-energy weapons set to stun rather than kill will not harm noncombatants

!@#$ing stupid. It's WAR! People die. If you don't want people to die. don't fight !@#$ing wars!!!

Whoever came up with the phrase "non-lethal weapon" should be Tasered. Repeatedly. :D

This is really the first I've heard much about this, but I know there are plenty of folks here that probably know a great deal about them.

Coming to a (Military) Theater Near You: Directed-Energy Weapons

I mean, this sounds like the stuff of science-fiction...

378195[/snapback]

No. It's the stuff of science.

It's practical application is still fiction.

That is of course, until the Army rolls it out. :D

!@#$ing stupid.  It's WAR!  People die.  If you don't want people to die. don't fight !@#$ing wars!!! 

Whoever came up with the phrase "non-lethal weapon" should be Tasered.  Repeatedly.  :D

378261[/snapback]

Actually, that's not entirely correct. There are excellent applications where you have bad guys mixed in with innocents, or hostages.

Actually, that's not entirely correct. There are excellent applications where you have bad guys mixed in with innocents, or hostages.

378264[/snapback]

Thinking an embassary or airplane takeover. Much easier to make the decision to sent troops in with ability to blast everyone as it will lower the hostage casualty rates.

378264[/snapback]

I still disagree with it. The only humane way to fight a conflict is to end it as quickly as possible...and the only quick way to fight a conflict is to do it as violently as possible. All these techno-miracles that are supposed to make war more "humane" ultimately have precisely the opposite effect.

I still disagree with it.

Well, you'd be wrong.

The only humane way to fight a conflict is to end it as quickly as possible

True, but resolution is more desirable, and does not necessitate fighting.

...and the only quick way to fight a conflict is to do it as violently as possible.

Not only no, but hell no. I don't know where you got this from, but I encourage you to read the latest copy of the National Military Strategy, which certainly does not propose extreme violence, nor should it.

All these techno-miracles that are supposed to make war more "humane" ultimately have precisely the opposite effect.

378360[/snapback]

How many counter-examples would you like? I'll just give you one - GPS.

Not only no, but hell no. I don't know where you got this from, but I encourage you to read the latest copy of the National Military Strategy, which certainly does not propose extreme violence, nor should it.

At least SOMEONE is doing their homework. The best way to end a war is not to have one in the first place, and still get your way.

I still disagree with it.  The only humane way to fight a conflict is to end it as quickly as possible...and the only quick way to fight a conflict is to do it as violently as possible.  All these techno-miracles that are supposed to make war more "humane" ultimately have precisely the opposite effect.

378360[/snapback]

Remember that statement should there be a "Homeland Defense" type of requirement someday. Nothing like carpet bombing West Seneca, Junction City, Chico or Tallahassee.

Thinking an embassary or airplane takeover.  Much easier to make the decision to sent troops in with ability to blast everyone as it will lower the hostage casualty rates.

378308[/snapback]

The first thought that came to my mind were the Russian school and theater hostage situations....

This is really the first I've heard much about this, but I know there are plenty of folks here that probably know a great deal about them.

Coming to a (Military) Theater Near You: Directed-Energy Weapons

I mean, this sounds like the stuff of science-fiction...

378195[/snapback]

Pretty much old hat, Rubes. Brookhaven Labs on Long Island NY have been working on such for a couple of decades.

!@#$ing stupid.  It's WAR!  People die.  If you don't want people to die. don't fight !@#$ing wars!!! 

Whoever came up with the phrase "non-lethal weapon" should be Tasered.  Repeatedly.  :ph34r:

378261[/snapback]

Doesn't mean we shouldn't try to limit the number of casualties as much as possible!

Doesn't mean we shouldn't try to limit the number of casualties as much as possible!

378659[/snapback]

Uhhh...that's what I'm saying. You don't limit casualties by fighting "nice" wars. You limit them by fighting with overwhelming force and ending them quickly. The protracted use of limited force has killed more people in warfare than the rapid use of overwhelming force.

Doesn't mean you're indiscriminate about it, either...but it DOES mean that using this non-lethal nonsense to make wars kinder and gentler is going to have the opposite effect. War is brutal, bloody, and inhumane...but a war prosecuted by half-measures is even moreso.

Uhhh...that's what I'm saying.  You don't limit casualties by fighting "nice" wars.  You limit them by fighting with overwhelming force and ending them quickly.  The protracted use of limited force has killed more people in warfare than the rapid use of overwhelming force. 

Doesn't mean you're indiscriminate about it, either...but it DOES mean that using this non-lethal nonsense to make wars kinder and gentler is going to have the opposite effect.  War is brutal, bloody, and inhumane...but a war prosecuted by half-measures is even moreso.

378666[/snapback]

I'm thinking in terms of "the new war" where you have small targets intermingled with delicate infrastructure and possibly large civilian populations.

I'm thinking in terms of "the new war" where you have small targets intermingled with delicate infrastructure and possibly large civilian populations.

378679[/snapback]

And don't think that's not in the back of my mind when I type all this. The necessity is obvious...but it's also uncomfortably like Clinton's infamous "operations other than war" mental oatmeal. Ideally, the military fights wars in order to win them as quickly and humanely as possible, and pansy-assing with qualifiers like "operations other than war" or "non-lethal combat" is not only cruel, but is indicative of a military being used for other than its core purpose (much as it is now in Iraq, which is why I was against the goddamned war in the first place. I'm nothing if not consistent. :P)

However, I recognize that we do NOT live in an ideal world, and allowances must be made (which is why I don't B word about the occupation of Iraq. :D) My biggest fear, actually, is that there's enough lunatics in high office (and even high in command, judging by some of the previous administration's appointees and their decisions - "We'll all wear SF berets, because we're all special!" :ph34r:) that actually think pansy-assing the military can lead to "gentle" or "polite" or "humane" warfare.

And don't think that's not in the back of my mind when I type all this.    The necessity is obvious...but it's also uncomfortably like Clinton's infamous "operations other than war" mental oatmeal.  Ideally, the military fights wars in order to win them as quickly and humanely as possible, and pansy-assing with qualifiers like "operations other than war" or "non-lethal combat" is not only cruel, but is indicative of a military being used for other than its core purpose (much as it is now in Iraq, which is why I was against the goddamned war in the first place.  I'm nothing if not consistent.  :P)

However, I recognize that we do NOT live in an ideal world, and allowances must be made (which is why I don't B word about the occupation of Iraq.  :D)  My biggest fear, actually, is that there's enough lunatics in high office (and even high in command, judging by some of the previous administration's appointees and their decisions - "We'll all wear SF berets, because we're all special!"  :ph34r:) that actually think pansy-assing the military can lead to "gentle" or "polite" or "humane" warfare.

378737[/snapback]

Don't misjudge "Operations Other Than War". That phrase frameworks his PDD56, which was the first document that actually tried to codify an interagency military/political approach to solving a problem (in this case, Bosnia). Flawed, but a start.

You probably don't want me on my interagency cooperation bandwagon, though.