OT - WSOP has begun

The main event has finally started. I won't post any spoilers here but cardplayer.com posts and excellent log of the play by play. Anybody seen LasBills lately? He used to provide good updates. Will you guys be watching or trying to avoid the results until ESPN shows it in October?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

World Series of Poker.

No offense to you guys who like it, but I do not see how anyone can watch a card game like that on TV.

377379[/snapback]

Well then you probably think it is crazy that I'm "watching" hand updates online too. IMHO it is very interesting and I have as much fun watching the game as I do playing it.

World Series of Poker.

No offense to you guys who like it, but I do not see how anyone can watch a card game like that on TV.

377379[/snapback]

Oh and there was me thinking WSOP might be something good.

Televised Poker is about as dull as anything I know - and the characters that play are bonkers...

will be here for a while, so don't hold your breath

377418[/snapback]

Poker will always be played. But it won't be much longer before the fad has jumped the shark and you can walk by the 99 cents clearance table at Walgreens and see the pile of Texas Hold'em neckties, which are right next to the Texas Hold'em guest napkins, which are right next to the complete 300-page guide to Texas Hold'em for Morons written, in part, by Mr. Kotter and including a free deck of cards, pile of chips, and dictionary of jargon so you, too, can follow the hottest, fastest-growing, most exciting sport to ever capture America's attention for 6 months. :lol:

Poker will always be played. But it won't be much longer before the fad has jumped the shark and you can walk by the 99 cents clearance table at Walgreens and see the pile of Texas Hold'em neckties, which are right next to the Texas Hold'em guest napkins, which are right next to the complete 300-page guide to Texas Hold'em for Morons written, in part, by Mr. Kotter and including a free deck of cards, pile of chips, and dictionary of jargon so you, too, can follow the hottest, fastest-growing, most exciting sport to ever capture America's attention for 6 months. :lol:

377425[/snapback]

yes I agree it is ridiculous that 85% of the population plays now, but just like the PGA and other sports...if the money is there people will continue to play...where else can degenerate dope smokers wake up at 3pm, play on-line for 4-5 hours..make a couple of hundred bucks, hit the bong, go to the local Teddy KGB in his neighboorhood and play some more...beats McDonalds and Landscaping any day of the week....

Oh and there was me thinking WSOP might be something good.

Televised Poker is about as dull as anything I know - and the characters that play are bonkers...

377395[/snapback]

It looks about as exciting as the pool or snooker games I've seen on TV.

where else can degenerate dope smokers wake up at 3pm, play on-line for 4-5 hours..make a couple of hundred bucks, hit the bong, go to the local Teddy KGB in his neighboorhood and play some more...

377435[/snapback]

And then go home and write up a blog entry about their day.

Am i correct when i say i heard there were something like 6600 people in the main event?

last year there were about 2500 and in '03, there were only 839...

377594[/snapback]

They put a cap at 6600 with three starting days. I think the latest count was somewhere around 6100. At 6100 1st place pays $7.5-8 million.

Has anyone heard of any big names being knocked out on day1?

They put a cap at 6600 with three starting days.  I think the latest count was somewhere around 6100.  At 6100 1st place pays $7.5-8 million.

Has anyone heard of any big names being knocked out on day1?

377600[/snapback]

www.cardplayer.com

There are many big names gone already

www.cardplayer.com

There are many big names gone already

377605[/snapback]

No kidding.

A game of chance that relies on skill about as much as Paris Hilton relies on her work ethic...about as much as the Bills rely on the refs to help us win...and permits you a seat at a table simply because you inadvertantly hit the wrong button on a video poker machine in Sheepjump, Indiana...

Luck wins this. Plain and simple. You can have all the skill in the world, but if you're not lucky enough to get the cards, then your skill is worthless.

Why people take this game seriously is beyond me.

No kidding.

A game of chance that relies on skill about as much as Paris Hilton relies on her work ethic...about as much as the Bills rely on the refs to help us win...and permits you a seat at a table simply because you inadvertantly hit the wrong button on a video poker machine in Sheepjump, Indiana...

Luck wins this. Plain and simple. You can have all the skill in the world, but if you're not lucky enough to get the cards, then your skill is worthless.

Why people take this game seriously is beyond me.

377612[/snapback]

No doubt luck is a major factor but skill is a much larger factor. How else could you explain Harrington ending up at the final table two years in a row? Johnny Chan repeating? Stu Unger winning 3 tournaments WSOPs in a row in which he entered. Poker is a game of skill