Now Lawmakers are listening to 11 YO's

on the advice of an 11-year-old constituent.

Are you really a constituent if you can't vote? :lol:

From the dictionary:

constituent: one who authorizes another to act as agent

If you can't vote, you can't authorize another to act as an agent, and therefore this kid isn't a constituent. So stop considering the stupid law.

CW

Are you really a constituent if you can't vote? :lol:

From the dictionary:

constituent: one who authorizes another to act as agent

If you can't vote, you can't authorize another to act as an agent, and therefore this kid isn't a constituent.  So stop considering the stupid law.

CW

375527[/snapback]

...but their parents are constituents. Act nice to the kiddies and the parents like you. Parents like you, they may vote for you. Being nice to one kid could get you two votes. Now, couple that with the dog lovers vote. Show that you care about dogs and their safety, and you could swing their vote in your favor. People like seeing a family man/woman as their representative. You also score more brownie points if you have pets. It is all about appearances.

See where I am going with this?

375535[/snapback]

I see where you're going with it, and I realize why the politician is bringing this up, but the kid still isn't a constituent like the article says he is.

CW

...but their parents are constituents. Act nice to the kiddies and the parents like you. Parents like you, they may vote for you. Being nice to one kid could get you two votes. Now, couple that with the dog lovers vote. Show that you care about dogs and their safety, and you could swing their vote in your favor. People like seeing a family man/woman as their representative. You also score more brownie points if you have pets. It is all about appearances.

375535[/snapback]

I think, also, that a bunch of kids are getting a pretty good first-hand lesson on how laws are enacted. Can't speak for everyone, but at the age of 11 I had to figure it out by singing a song from The Electric Company, and even then it took me another year to figure out that elected officials weren't cartoon characters...followed by 20 years later when I realize that most of them ARE, in fact, cartoon characters.

Maybe Stevenson knew what he wanted to do all along from a schmoozing standpoint, but the fact is, this is a pretty cool idea in terms of educating kids about government operations. One of them may grow up to be a Governor, Senator, Supreme Court Justice. Or if they're really lucky, they can grow up to be some who spends a good portion of their life battling the proliferation of WMDs.

Stop seeing the law as worthless and start seeing it for what it is to the 11-year-old and his classmates. A really cool opportunity. (That didn't come out right. I didn't mean to imply you had a problem with the law, Ken. I mean in general.)

I see where you're going with it, and I realize why the politician is bringing this up, but the kid still isn't a constituent like the article says he is.

CW

375543[/snapback]

Believe or not this post made me feel a little better. I did not read the link, but thought that someone was calling the dogs constituents.

CW

375543[/snapback]

A journalist not having their facts correct? Never happen. :lol:

I think, also, that a bunch of kids are getting a pretty good first-hand lesson on how laws are enacted. Can't speak for everyone, but at the age of 11 I had to figure it out by singing a song from The Electric Company, and even then it took me another year to figure out that elected officials weren't cartoon characters...followed by 20 years later when I realize that most of them ARE, in fact, cartoon characters.

Maybe Stevenson knew what he wanted to do all along from a schmoozing standpoint, but the fact is, this is a pretty cool idea in terms of educating kids about government operations. One of them may grow up to be a Governor, Senator, Supreme Court Justice. Or if they're really lucky, they can grow up to be some who spends a good portion of their life battling the proliferation of WMDs.

Stop seeing the law as worthless and start seeing it for what it is to the 11-year-old and his classmates. A really cool opportunity. (That didn't come out right. I didn't mean to imply you had a problem with the law, Ken. I mean in general.)

375545[/snapback]

It is a good way to educate the kids on laws are made. It is also a good way to show them that there are WAY too many laws on the books and that it is very easy for a politician to slowly strip away your individual freedoms and to infringe on your way of life with over-regulation. Take away from it what you will. :lol:

I don't think it should be mandatory. I did strap in one dog my family owned whenever I took her anywhere though.

376054[/snapback]

Yeah, but tying your ex-girlfriend's weirdo mom's obnoxiously loud puntable to the bumper just before speeding off isn't exactly in the spirit of the proposed law.