Olympics

Congrats Nick.  And being a resident of the New York City area, I wish you well and say better you than us!  :lol:

375413[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more! Thankfully NYC has been spared. It's just not the right place for that kind of event.

Congrats to the UK. And it's always nice to see the French lose.

I couldn't agree more!  Thankfully NYC has been spared.  It's just not the right place for that kind of event.

Congrats to the UK.  And it's always nice to see the French lose.

375611[/snapback]

I disagree. NYC would have been an awesome place to hold the olympics..

Every big city has its problems with traffic, congestion etc...but they also

provide a vibrant surrounding for the biggest event on earth....Olympics

would have been great for the city that never sleeps...

London is probably as crowded city like any other big city....It is a shame

that the biggest city in the world has never seen the Olympics in its own

back yard.

After taking two hours to get through the Holland Tunnel once on a Saturday by car, and taking the train from Brooklyn to the Bronx to a July 4th Yankees/Red Sox game a couple years back, I cannot imagine trying to move in the city if the Olympics were there.

I love NYC and go there a few times each year, but between the traffic and the taxes, I am not really disappointed about the Olympics.

I disagree.  NYC would have been an awesome place to hold the olympics..

Every big city has its problems with traffic, congestion etc...but they also

provide a vibrant surrounding for the biggest event on earth....Olympics

would have been great for the city that never sleeps...

London is probably as crowded city like any other big city....It is a shame

that the biggest city in the world has never seen the Olympics in its own

back yard.

375621[/snapback]

Congrats also Nick and to England.

I also am an American quite pleased to see the Olumpics not come to NYC. It probably will not happen anyway without the distraction of the 2012 games coming here, but there is just too much of a desire on US poliyicians parts (be they Dems or Repbs) to invest in short-term thinking and embraace the next episode rather than do the strategic planning that would benefit us all.

If the Olympics came here, politicians would use the focus and hoopla which is necessary to pulll off an Olympics and fun to do as another opportunity to have the masses eat cake rather than take any bitter pills necessary because we continue to live on the gravy train regardless of our income.

Good luck to us both.

Congrats to nick... do we get the hometown discount on your future ticket scalping business?

My thoughts on NYC: This is possibly the best news for the bills. Now, that $1.2 billion stadium is in doubt. That olympic stadium for the jets, like it or not, would have been the kiss of death for the buffalo bills. Now that its in doubt, Ralph wilson stadium is still viable.

Ed O'Toole came in 9th, he had held the ACC record for 3 years in a row, but at the race, the guy from Finland said something to him, he responded with "Yeah good luck to you too" but later he found out the guy wanted Ed to watch out for his first step. Ed stumbled at the beginning on the Finland guys foot and had to run through the pack to get back in. He always tried to start out in the lead pack and work off the shoulder of the lead runner and use his kick in the last part of the race. Great guy, we all miss him.

375602[/snapback]

That was a race with the famous Emil Zátopek in it. He ran with the best.

London in 2012 will be one of the all time best host cities. Congrats Nick.

The weather will be perfect for some record breaking track performances..particularly the distance events. The Park plan is really, really impressive. It will be a great games.

I don't really care for the olympics. It's a huge waste of resources that could be better spent on our space program. And I don't like that all our olympians work at Walmart and Home Depot, either. This country has gone to hell.

I don't really care for the olympics.  It's a huge waste of resources that could be better spent on our space program.  And I don't like that all our olympians work at Walmart and Home Depot, either.  This country has gone to hell.

375846[/snapback]

JC--don't you want Tonya Harding making sure your kitchen paint is just the right shade of shell white??? Come on...she could show you the aisle where the tire irons reside and probably give you some creative uses for them...

JC--don't you want Tonya Harding making sure your kitchen paint is just the right shade of shell white??? Come on...she could show you the aisle where the tire irons reside and probably give you some creative uses for them...

375886[/snapback]

From triple axels to getting tripled teamed in the tool corral, Tonya Maxine Harding, how far can one fall....

Now we just have to wait and see if Rugby is voted back in for 2012. The reigning champion US needs to defend it's 1920's olympic titles from all the uppity countries who have been winning since...

For those who don't care about rugby, I have to warn you that alternatives include golf (yawn) and inline skating (yikes!).