Olympics

NYC out in the first Ballot....

I REALLY hope London wins it now...

I guess the whole Jets stadium thing just didn't work out for NYC

Thankfully. Although a colleague of mine who knows some union construction workers says that they think that once Michael Bloomberg gets re-elected, the stadium WILL go up. Take that for what it's worth, but I hope that it's as dumb as it sounds.

WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!

MY Office has just gone nuts... The whole city is having a party right now!

375409[/snapback]

Congrats Nick. And being a resident of the New York City area, I wish you well and say better you than us! :)

Congrats Nick.  And being a resident of the New York City area, I wish you well and say better you than us!  :)

375413[/snapback]

You didn't want the games? Some Londoners don't - but I personally love the idea and will gladly pay the extra 24p tax to fund it (about 50c)... It's brilliant.

Britain really rallys around events like this like no other country. We can look forward to a MAJOR national party in the UK in Summer 2012 :)

You didn't want the games? Some Londoners don't - but I personally love the idea and will gladly pay the extra 24p tax to fund it (about 50c)... It's brilliant.

Britain really rallys around events like this like no other country. We can look forward to a MAJOR national party in the UK in Summer 2012 :)

375414[/snapback]

Jolly Good Show. Congrats to London. Glad it wasn't Paris.

375414[/snapback]

My guess is that the NYers are sick of tax increases, no matter what the reason they give for them.

375414[/snapback]

This is area is too crowded and bottled up as it is. The idea of have the Olympics here, and all the added security, traffic, etc. would have made living and going to work here a living hell.

Plus, of course, there is the point that R Rich brings up that there is the additional tax burden we would have been subjected to.

Congrats again, and good luck! London, I think, is much better suited to host this event than NYC.

WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!

MY Office has just gone nuts... The whole city is having a party right now!

375409[/snapback]

Congratulations, let the games begin! Make sure you get your beach volleyball tickets early, the front row seats go really fast.

I heard that France was really in the running, but when it started to look like it was going to be a real battle,

THEY SURRENDERED....

Go figure........

NYC out in the first Ballot....

I REALLY hope London wins it now...

I guess the whole Jets stadium thing just didn't work out for NYC

375399[/snapback]

Nick,

Congratulations on being selected as the host nation. Heard it on the

radio on the way to work.

I heard that France was really in the running, but when it started to look like it was going to be a real battle,

THEY SURRENDERED....

Go figure........

375473[/snapback]

Heard this on Mike & Mike on the way to work:

Chirac the French president was bad mouthing England yesterday about their food,

and apaprently quoted that Finland food was the worst and apparently there

were two guys from finland on the voting panel....I am sure where there

votes went to in a tight race....

Congratulations, let the games begin!  Make sure you get your beach volleyball tickets early, the front row seats go really fast.

375448[/snapback]

The brilliant thing is - my office on Whitehall has a view right down into Horseguards Parade, so I won't need tickets - i'll just peer outta my window!! :lol:

Heard this on Mike  & Mike on the way to work:

Chirac the French president was bad mouthing England yesterday about their food,

and apaprently quoted that Finland food was the worst and apparently there

were two guys from finland on the voting panel....I am sure where there

votes went to in a tight race....

375500[/snapback]

I don't know yet how close it was, but I am pretty sure Chirac is the reason that Paris lost. His remarks, and the cloud of fraud hanging over him poisoned the Paris bid and with so many kids, celebrities, sportsmen&women, Tony Blair and The Queen showing support for London the French were starting to look a little bit, well, French. And nobody wants that.

Britain really rallys around events like this like no other country. We can look forward to a MAJOR national party in the UK in Summer 2012 :lol:

375414[/snapback]

Congrats Nick, My Father-in-Law ran in the 1948 Olympics (10,000 meters) He had talked about how London was a wonderful place for the games back then, I'm sure if it wasnt NY he would support the London bid with all his heart.

Congrats Nick, My Father-in-Law ran in the 1948 Olympics (10,000 meters) He had talked about how London was a wonderful place for the games back then, I'm sure if it wasnt NY he would support the London bid with all his heart.

375541[/snapback]

Wow - he did?? Where did he place??

Wow - he did?? Where did he place??

375549[/snapback]

Ed O'Toole came in 9th, he had held the ACC record for 3 years in a row, but at the race, the guy from Finland said something to him, he responded with "Yeah good luck to you too" but later he found out the guy wanted Ed to watch out for his first step. Ed stumbled at the beginning on the Finland guys foot and had to run through the pack to get back in. He always tried to start out in the lead pack and work off the shoulder of the lead runner and use his kick in the last part of the race. Great guy, we all miss him.

Edited by Guffalo