Road-Kill... What have you Contributed to the Road

Approaching the conclusion of my 5th full year behind the wheel i hit my first animal this evening going 70 (give or take a bit - mostly give) on Rte 16 near Olean. A cat jumped out in front of my car leaving me no time to avoid it. I swerved and braked but alas the poor feline went underneath my car and onto the pavement behind me. As any sane american driver would do after hitting a non-human living organism, i got out of my vehicle and immediately said "What did that f---ing cat do to my car!!" It appears no real damage was done but do need to order some parts as the cat cracked some of my undercoating sheild and my front liscence plate holder.

I am actually a bit spooked by the fact i hit something, and was just thankful it was a small cat and not a larger animal like a deer that would not only do serious damage to my car, but could be fatal if hit at the right velocity in the proper manner.

What animals have you all hit, what damage has it done, etc. Did hitting that creature change the way you drive?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Approaching the conclusion of my 5th full year behind the wheel i hit my first animal this evening going 70 (give or take a bit - mostly give) on Rte 16 near Olean.  A cat jumped out in front of my car leaving me no time to avoid it.  I swerved and braked but alas the poor feline went underneath my car and onto the pavement behind me.  As any sane american driver would do after hitting a non-human living organism, i got out of my vehicle and immediately said "What did that f---ing cat do to my car!!"  It appears no real damage was done but do need to order some parts as the cat cracked some of my undercoating sheild and my front liscence plate holder. 

I am actually a bit spooked by the fact i hit something, and was just thankful it was a small cat and not a larger animal like a deer that would not only do serious damage to my car, but could be fatal if hit at the right velocity in the proper manner. 

What animals have you all hit, what damage has it done, etc.  Did hitting that creature change the way you drive?

373914[/snapback]

What's the speed limit on that road?

Well, living here in the Outback....They have millions of Kangaroos...and my 2nd week here I hit one with my Magna....The !@#$ing thing hopped right out in front of me and I nailed him on the right side of my car doing 100 K. Bent my hood, smashed my light, etc. Cost me $2000 Australian to get it fixed. I traded the car in after that for a Pickup with a Bull Bar. All Kangaroos must DIE!!!! :devil:

Many, many deer. Costs me the $100 comprehensive deductable. As a matter of fact I hit a deer on the way home from my last Bills game, just south of Olean. The way I see it is hitting them is better than wrecking your vehicle completely when you swerve to miss them.

Last week I ran over a possum with my bicycle. Possums are the dumbest animals ever. It was at night, no cars on the road. I have a bright light on my bike and the possum comes running full speed from across the street. I wasnt sure whether to speed up or brake would be better to avoid it. I started peddlng faster and the stupid thing ran right under my back wheel. I dont know how I didnt nail it with my pedal. It looked pretty hurting after. Possibly first fatality on my bike

A cat, bunny, turtle, several squirrels and a duck.

The turtle bounced up real high in my rearview mirror. I guess I hit him with a glancing blow.

The duck took off and I hit him with the grill. It was flapping around wounded. Before I could even get out, the guy behind me stops, runs up, wrings its neck, and throws it in the bed of his pickup. i guess he had duck for dinner!.

I've never hit anything...

My wife hit a duck -- it flew up from the side of the road, right into the path of the car, and smashed into the windshield. She said she saw it flop up over the car and hit the car behind her as well. Her windshield was cracked with the outline of the duck which was pretty amusing (should've taken a picture).

CW

Her windshield was cracked with the outline of the duck which was pretty amusing (should've taken a picture).

CW

373960[/snapback]

Kind of like the field turf impressions Bledsoe left at RWS?

The duck took off and I hit him with the grill. It was flapping around wounded. Before I could even get out, the guy behind me stops, runs up, wrings its neck, and throws it in the bed of his pickup. i guess he had duck for dinner!.

373955[/snapback]

:huh::)

I like to hit people on bicycles that run over big rats.

373968[/snapback]

possums and rats are not related at all. Possums are marsupials and from a different family altogether. Please try and hit me- I hit back harder

The way I see it is hitting them is better than wrecking your vehicle completely when you swerve to miss them.

373927[/snapback]

Exactly! Hit the deer, get your car fixed, and drive for another day. You see so many newspaper articles where people swerve, hit a tree, and die. IMO, getting out to check on the animal is another way to get killed, this time by a fellow driver. There was a news story maybe a month ago, where a woman hit a animal, stopped, her 4-5 year old daughter ran out of the car to check on the animal, and was hit and killed by a second car.

Is it my imagination or what, but are there a lot more deer out now than there were, say 20 years ago? 20 years ago it seemed so unusual to see one. Now I see them in my yard eating my shrubs at night

Exactly!  Hit the deer, get your car fixed, and drive for another day.  You see so many newspaper articles where people swerve, hit a tree, and die.  IMO, getting out to check on the animal is another way to get killed, this time by a fellow driver.  There was a news story maybe a month ago, where a woman hit a animal, stopped, her 4-5 year old daughter ran out of the car to check on the animal, and was hit and killed by a second car.

I remember that. The little girl ran out to help a turtle and was killed.

373978[/snapback]

I swear my new SUV is a friggin squirrel magnet. I hadn't hit anything in years until we bought this truck. Then, 5 squirrels in 5 days. It was getting comical, like they were waiting for the Envoy to end their squirrel missery. The way I see it, I was helping the population out by erasing the slow and/or dumb ones. Darwinism.

RTB

I hit a deer on a back road when I was learning to drive w/ my dad, who is probably the best driver I've ever known, who learned from my grandfather, who drove for a well-known commercial trucking co. back in the '40s-'60s (he brought all of the houses to Mystic Village w/o a problem when none of the other guys would even try it). Anywho, I was doing about 45 mph and it just jumped out right in front of me. No time to do anything. Radiator damage and a busted headlight on an old Tempo.

Several squirrels, when they went for it after darting hither and yon trying to make up their minds. A few chipmunks. I always try to brake or put them under the middle, but I'm not going to swerve and hit a tree so a rodent can live.

Hit a porcupine about 10 miles past Freeport, Maine, several years ago. It was about midnight. From the size of the thump, at first I thought it was a bear cub. I stopped, in the same manner, saying "What the !@#$ over!" flashed the Mag Lite over the road - nothing. Looked underneath and there was a friggin' quill sticking out of a rubber gasket. Just had to get the wheels aligned when I got back b/c there was a little shimmy.

On my next trip to Maine, we came upon a moose flopping in the road, ass end covered in blood and a leg missing (that's a sight you just don't forget.) A couple from California in a gold van had hit it just a couple of minutes previous; good thing they just clipped it, b/c quite a few people have been crushed when the moose buckles and tips onto the front end.

You know, I had the idea a while ago to make up those little stickers like on the back of the Ohio State helmets that you can put on your bumper as a record of your kills.... My gf at the time thought that was gross.

You know, I had the idea a while ago to make up those little stickers like on the back of the Ohio State helmets that you can put on your bumper as a record of your kills.... My gf at the time thought that was gross.

I actually had those on my Humvee. My driver put one on of a kid on a tricycle, and the brigade commander made us take all of them off. Went a little too far, I guess.