The only CFL aspect that's better than the NFL

Canadian football has its wacky rules. Three downs are dumb. So is the rouge. And the retarded position of the field goal post. And the size of the field and endzones. And the 12th man. But the one thing about Canadian football that I find extremely exciting is overtime. For those that don't know, the way it works is that the teams play a maximum of two mini-games in which each team gets one possession starting from the opponent's 35-yard line. Whoever scores more points in their possession wins the game. After the second mini-game, it's a tie.

I find this is miles (or should I say, kilometres) better than the NFL overtime. There's too much luck in the coin toss in the NFL. I suppose the CFL's overtime is kind of like the football version of a hockey shootout, but it really is more fair than the NFL's.

Gotta disagree with you on this one McGill Bill. I do not think you are giving ANY credit to the defenses here. Don't you think the defense should be able to stop the offense that gets the first possesion? Also in addition to this fewer than 40% of the teams that win the toss win on the first posseion here is the link to proove it.Stats. It follows then that most of the time both offenses get a chance with the ball.

i don't have a problem w/ the way the NFL does OT. as noted above, the team getting the ball first scores on the opening possession about 1/3 of the time. the system favors teams with strong defenses and/or quick strike offenses, but the bottom line is that they are actually playing football and not some quirky game (a la hockey and soccer shootouts) to decide the contest.

i also don't like the "short field" system used in colleges and the CFL because it provides an unfair advantage to teams with a strong kicking game. a team should have to put itself in FG position, not have it handed to them.

in other words....if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have a problem with the NFL's overtime. The problem is that they still allow ties. There should never, ever be a tie in the NFL.

If they're tied after an overtime period, do it again. And again, if necessary. Make those guys collapse before ending it in a tie. Ties suck. Ties serve no purpose but to confuse people and make possible playoff scenarios four pages long.

I hate ties.

Gotta disagree with you on this one McGill Bill. I do not think you are giving ANY credit to the defenses here. Don't you think the defense should be able to stop the offense that gets the first possesion? Also in addition to this fewer than 40% of the teams that win the toss win on the first posseion here is the link to proove it.Stats. It follows then that most of the time both offenses get a chance with the ball.

373454[/snapback]

If the score is tied 6-6 sure the defense should get credit. If one of those teams gets it to 9-6, they ought to have the chance to stop the other team. Consider the Comeback Game. When you are going into OT tied 38-38 (I think it was that) Defense was not the what won that game. The Oilers won the toss and marched it right down the field and should have won the game if the kicker hadn't choked.

What might be interesting would be if the NFL did OT sort of like the 9th inning in MLB, where the home team gets a shot, but the away team doesn't...

Like Rubes said, though, there shouldn't be ties, ever...

Rather sad to think that a well-fought contest cannot end in a draw. No fun if somebody's head doesn't roll, eh?

I am not against the NFL regular season time extension and the playoff rules, but those asinine NCAA circus performances are a cheesy insult to the rules of the game.

The Oilers won the toss and marched it right down the field and should have won the game if the kicker hadn't choked.

373568[/snapback]

Actually, Odomes picked off a pass on their own 20 something before they even got close enough to kick a field goal in OT. That game is actually a good example to show that if you play good D you can win even if you don't win the toss.

I have a problem with the NFL's overtime. The problem is that they still allow ties. There should never, ever be a tie in the NFL.

If they're tied after an overtime period, do it again. And again, if necessary. Make those guys collapse before ending it in a tie. Ties suck. Ties serve no purpose but to confuse people and make possible playoff scenarios four pages long.

I hate ties.

373505[/snapback]

Quit knocking ties.

373454[/snapback]

Defenses or not, one team still has the advantage of first possession. It's obviously an advantage. The statistics may say that teams don't capitalize, but it still allows the toss-winning team first crack at winning the game. Yes, the defense of a winning team should be able to stop them, but if they can't, shouldn't their offense be given a shot too? Perhaps you could do a ten-minute game, with two halves. Kinda like a short version of a full NFL game. That would be the best way to sort it out, if you ask me.

Another thing that is different about the CFL is that they spread out their weekly games to more than two days (ex: Thursday, Friday, Saturday) as compared to the NFL (Sunday and Monday for most weeks).

I'm guessing that most NFL fans prefer the current schedule though I think it will take some getting used to having MNF on ESPN and the Sunday night game on NBC.

A poll on canada.com had most respondents preferring the current CFL format:

Would you like to see the CFL condense its weekly schedule so that most games are played on the same day, as in the NFL?

20.83 %

YES, it would make it more of an event

79.17 %

NO, I like having several days of game-watching

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.canada.com/sports/football/cfl/...ttes/index.html

Canadian football has its wacky rules. Three downs are dumb. So is the rouge. And the retarded position of the field goal post. And the size of the field and endzones. And the 12th man. But the one thing about Canadian football that I find extremely exciting is overtime. For those that don't know, the way it works is that the teams play a maximum of two mini-games in which each team gets one possession starting from the opponent's 35-yard line. Whoever scores more points in their possession wins the game. After the second mini-game, it's a tie.

I find this is miles (or should I say, kilometres) better than the NFL overtime. There's too much luck in the coin toss in the NFL. I suppose the CFL's overtime is kind of like the football version of a hockey shootout, but it really is more fair than the NFL's.

373445[/snapback]

How about playing another full Qtr and get rid of sudden death?

373445[/snapback]

I like the huge end zone and that you can get points for a team not returning a punt out of the end zone.

My problem with the college system is that, by starting each team on the opposing 25, you've changed the game from what it was during regulation. It takes a big play or a successful series to get that close to the red zone in regulation, but college OT makes field position into a gift.

I would start overtime drives on the 50 (or, in the CFL, the 55). That way neither offense nor defense has a territorial advantage as the series starts, and maybe a decent 24-24 game wouldn't end with a score like 61-58.

I thought the % was something like 54 to 46 for teams winning the

toss winning in overtime....While there is a 4% discrepancy, I am not

sure it is such a big factor...

Remember the other team has to still drive down to score a field goal.

If your ST and Defense is good, then you could stop them, get a turnover

or get a safety to win the game.

I hate ties.

373505[/snapback]

I would have a problem with that, expect that there is rarely ever ever a tie, once like every 5 years.