The Declaration of Independence

Put your Hot Pockets back in the freezer long enough to read the text of the DoI.

What are your thoughts of this document?

The unanimous Declartaion of the thirteen united States of America

i personally am impressed by the final line,

"we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor."

Is that somehow a part of the oath of office for anyone taking office?

I am curious what the percentage of representatives in our current Congress that would make this declaration.

Put your Hot Pockets back in the freezer long enough to read the text of the DoI.

"we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor."

I am curious what the percentage of representatives in our current Congress that would make this declaration.

372742[/snapback]

It's a document created by damned liberal nuts, so it can't possibly be right... :(

:doh:

The line you quote isn't part of any oath of office (which you can look up online), but it damned well should be. Wouldn't make a damned bit of difference, though, since most of them don't even live up to the oath to defend the Constitution that they take now. Most elected officials owe their alliegance to The Party, and oaths of office are just words like any other campaign promise.

I think "that document" is a misguided proposal whipped together by a bunch of ideologues so as to draw media attention to themselves.

373113[/snapback]

Nope, too long for that. Has to be condensed to a 1:40 soundbite.

372742[/snapback]

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died.

Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned.

Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured.

Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary

War.

They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred

honor.

I have a new admiration for the DOI. I currently live in a Australia (a free country and 1 of our staunchest allies) but that document affords us so many rights other free countries don't have. I really like living here in Australia but i can't fathom some of their laws. The Aussie gun laws are horrendous. The way they count votes is odd. It's a great country don't get me wrong but nothing beats the USA.

372742[/snapback]

I have a copy presently on my wall.

Funny little story showing most people wouldn't know the DOI if someone smacked them upside the head with it.

My girlfriend's brother came home all excited from Williamsburg claiming to have purchased a copy of the DOI for his house. A cursory glance, and I informed him that what he had was actually a copy of the Constitution. I then pointed to the wall and said, "THAT, is the DOI". Sad, don't they teach kids this in school anymore? :huh: