O'Conner retires

Here's a chance for Bush to take a step at representing the majority of Americans and consulting with Democrats to find a nominee who could be supported by both sides. I'll wait and see if he does so before passing judgement. If they try to push Alberto Gonzalez, that will result in a fight even though he's Hispanic, since his hands are dirty from his blanket endorsement of the over-the-top interrogation tactics that have been used at Gitmo and in Iraq. At a time when the administration wants to put that black eye behind them, it would bring it to the forefront again.

Alberto Gonzalez, that will result in a fight even though he's Hispanic, since his hands are dirty from his blanket endorsement of the over-the-top interrogation tactics that have been used at Gitmo and in Iraq.

372752[/snapback]

puh-leeeeese.

puh-leeeeese.

372756[/snapback]

It's a bunch of crap, but wildman there does have a point - just because of the way he stated it, you know a lot of people are going to think that, and you can best bet that the Democrat part of the Senate will ride the horse - should they want to - even though THEY know better.

It's a bunch of crap, but wildman there does have a point - just because of the way he stated it, you know a lot of people are going to think that, and you can best bet that the Democrat part of the Senate will ride the horse - should they want to - even though THEY know better.

372764[/snapback]

Whoever Bush nominates, the Democrats will find SOMETHING to B word about. Party politics at its finest.

I suppose no one's considered that, given this is O'Connor retiring, the Senate Democrats are easily likely to block any male candidate...

Those "over the top" techniques like turning the A/C down and playing rap music loudly!!!!

Up next at GTMO.......asking the person being interrogated for information without saying "please".

OH.......THE HORROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do agree with Joey's other point, however.

Here's a chance for Bush to take a step at representing the majority of Americans and consulting with Democrats to find a nominee who could be supported by both sides.  I'll wait and see if he does so before passing judgement.  If they try to push Alberto Gonzalez, that will result in a fight even though he's Hispanic, since his hands are dirty from his blanket endorsement of the over-the-top interrogation tactics that have been used at Gitmo and in Iraq.  At a time when the administration wants to put that black eye behind them, it would bring it to the forefront again.

372752[/snapback]

I don't get this line of reasoning. He won. His party is in charge. While he can't pick a total whackjob, he gets to pick who he wants. That's the way the system works.

I don't get this line of reasoning. He won. His party is in charge. While he can't pick a total whackjob, he gets to pick who he wants. That's the way the system works.

372965[/snapback]

It's what passes for liberal lajik...

Liberals in power: We'll do what we want so STFU

Liberals out of power: You must compromise with us on everything you do

:)

Here's a chance for Bush to take a step at representing the majority of Americans and consulting with Democrats to find a nominee who could be supported by both sides.

372752[/snapback]

I understand the gist of what you are saying but here's how I expand upon it and phrase it:

Here's a chance for Bush to take a step at representing the majority of Americans and consulting with the Senate to find a nominee who could be supported by both sides.

Of course that's just in theory, reality will probably be something totally different.

Personally, I would prefer someone along the lines of O'Conner. She was a moderate-conservative and as she phrased it, "open to persuasion."