Am I the only one who thinks the Philly

is weak?

Alicia Keys, Stevie Wonder, Destiny's Child, Jay-Z, P. Diddy, Bon Jovi, Dave Matthews Band & Black-Eyed Peas

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

They couldn't do better than that? Yet another sign how music has gone down the tubes the last 20 years.

I do hope they make a lot of money for the worthy cause.

is weak?

Alicia Keys, Stevie Wonder, Destiny's Child, Jay-Z, P. Diddy, Bon Jovi, Dave Matthews Band & Black-Eyed Peas

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

They couldn't do better than that? Yet another sign how music has gone down the tubes the last 20 years.

I do hope they make a lot of money for the worthy cause.

372543[/snapback]

HA! Look at the Moscow Lineup: The PET SHOP BOYS.

Pfft...

It's all nonsense anyway. All the money they raise will go directly into the pockets of the tinhorn dictators that run the countries involved. Like other crusades, however, it'll feel good for the outre celebrities involved.

The London gig is HUGE... the acts (and more besides):

African Children's Choir

Annie Lennox

Bob Geldof

Coldplay

Dido

Elton John

Joss Stone

Keane

Killers, The

Madonna

Mariah Carey

Ms. Dynamite

Paul McCartney

Pink Floyd

Razorlight

REM

Robbie Williams

Scissor Sisters

Snoop Dogg

Snow Patrol

Stereophonics

Sting

Travis

U2

UB40

Velvet Revolver

Although personally I'd like to have seen Rob Thomas in the UK :(

Full listing of all concerts: http://www.live8live.com/theconcerts/

Is anyone else concerned though about the way all of this is going? It's worrying that we are headed towards a point where you are politically exiled unless you agree with Bob Geldof... It's a decent cause, but the way Geldof does it raises serious concerns.

Is anyone else concerned though about the way all of this is going? It's worrying that we are headed towards a point where you are politically exiled unless you agree with Bob Geldof... It's a decent cause, but the way Geldof does it raises serious concerns.

372555[/snapback]

I like how it's billed as being for "Justice".

If the people of Africa really wanted justice, they'd overthrow the arseholes that run the place.

If the people of Africa really wanted justice, they'd overthrow the arseholes that run the place.

372560[/snapback]

Yeah - there is that...

It would be better if it was kept simple - focusing on the issue of lobbying to make 3rd world debt shrink and improving the lives of many africans who live in poverty.

372560[/snapback]

:doh:

Way to show your ignorance. So they are just supposed to lift themselves out of blinding poverty starvation and disease, organize themselves (when there is poor mass communication and ethnic conflict) and take on people with machine guns, helicopters, and tanks.

Oh yeah, I forgot, its their fault - not the cultural, political, and geological ruins left from centuries of colonialism. :(

So they are just supposed to lift themselves out of blinding poverty starvation and disease, organize themselves (when there is poor mass communication and ethnic conflict) and take on people with machine guns, helicopters, and tanks. 

Oh yeah, I forgot, its their fault - not the cultural, political, and geological ruins left from centuries of colonialism.  :(

372564[/snapback]

That's right. We've been sending aid to Africa for years and it just gets swallowed up in a bottomless pit.

Ever hear the old saying: "Give a man a fish, he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime?" Well, this is just giving a man a fish.

Well, this is just giving a man a fish.

372576[/snapback]

While ignoring the fact that the fish is decomposed and diseased.

P.S. We should start a campaign to see if we can get all the TSW topics thrown into hell, better known as PPP. :(

That's right. We've been sending aid to Africa for years and it just gets swallowed up in a bottomless pit.

Ever hear the old saying: "Give a man a fish, he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime?" Well, this is just giving a man a fish.

372576[/snapback]

Except for when the aid finally gets there it's been divvied up by contractors and friends so many times that it's a fraction of what it's purported to be for the people on the receiving end.

I agree with you on the latter point, the best thing we can do is help people to help themselves. But who's to say that aid can't be used that way?

372576[/snapback]

OK I agree with your first point about Justice. It is NOT about justice. But lets not die in a ditch about semantics...

The MAKE POVERTY HISTORY campaign is trying to do exactly what you drive at in your latter point. Sustainable relief from poverty as a result of cultural, political, and geological ruins left from centuries of colonialism.

No one is saying the cause is wrong, I just object to the way that Geldof sets himself up as the moral authority on Africa and if you disagree with what he say's then you're as bad as those damn dictators.

OK I agree with your first point about Justice. It is NOT about justice. But lets not die in a ditch about semantics...

The MAKE POVERTY HISTORY campaign is trying to do exactly what you drive at in your latter point. Sustainable relief from poverty as a result of cultural, political, and geological ruins left from centuries of colonialism.

No one is saying the cause is wrong, I just object to the way that Geldof sets himself up as the moral authority on Africa and if you disagree with what he say's then you're as bad as those damn dictators.

372598[/snapback]

Exactly.

I think the aid should be in the form of PHYSICAL rather than monetary help.

Want American aid? Then you have to be willing to accept american advisors who will be in charge of ensuring the money is used the way it was meant to be. I, as an Amrican taxpayer, am sick of theoring my money into an unregulated, unsuprvised money pit.

Want American aid? Then you have to be willing to accept american advisors who will be in charge of ensuring the money is used the way it was meant to be. I, as an Amrican taxpayer, am sick of theoring my money into an unregulated, unsuprvised money pit.

372601[/snapback]

That is one of the same arguments being made over aid to North Korea. There is no oversight (other than DPRK oversight) of where the aid is going. The WFP is trying to make things better, but they still do not have complete control over the distribution of the aid. You try to help the humanitarian crisis and all you are doing is making their military stronger.

Maybe they can pull some of those crates and crates of tsunami relief from the U.N. that are still sitting on the docks, and ship it down there instead. Then the 1,000,000 bands I'm not interested in can stay home, and the one that I am (Floyd reunited) can go in a studio and try to write an album that doesn't suck like everything else they've done since their acrimonious split.