2005 Game sell-out potential

One of the best signs for the Bills remaining in Buffalo has been their performance at the gate the last few years. Ticket sales does not gurantee anything in terms of the fate of location for a team as the money generated by TVis the nig deal in terms of dollars and the equation of a rich guy (or gal if they are Oprah) wanting in will drive alot and unfirtunately can overwhem mere psychotic interest from the locals.

However, lots of local interest is way way better than struggling to sell the tickets and the performance generated by the relationship between the Bills and its fans has been great.

Even though we are talking about a team which has failed to even make the playoffs 5 years running. Last year was the first one where a game did not sell-out in 3 years. Part of this has come from the generosity of Ralph "buying" up a few thousand remaining tickets a few times and donating them to well-deserving US troops and also to students (one needn't get too weepy-eyed about this sacrifice as Ralph and the Bills certainly profitted from selling beer, coke and kielbasas to any butts that filled the seats even with a free ticket and who knows how the lawyers and bean counters manufactured some dollars out of this charitable gift in tax deductions).

At any rate the announcement of their only being single seats available for the first three home games is a great sign for sells this year.

Thias is what the prospects look like to me:

Sept. 11 Houston 1:00 - Single seats and home opener frenzy mean if you want tickets you better buy them now.

Sept. 25 Atlanta 1:00 - A good sign that this one is already logging demand, Vick draws some interest, but the serious fan who wants to see him probably has a package anyway.

Oct. 9 Miami 1:00 - As expected already a hot property as Squishing the Fish is always a favorite.

Oct. 16 NY Jets 4:15 - First one potentially in doubt as the mid-afternoon start means post dinner travel back guaranteed for the regional audience. Yet interest for Jets fans across the state should supplement this one and any reasonable start by the Bills will sell this one out.

Nov. 13 Kansas City 1:00 - This game interest will be heavily determined by how the team starts as KC has little local interest and a timezone penalty on travel. Watch sells for this one to read where t=hings are going.

Nov. 27 Carolina 1:00 - Same with this one but at least no timezone problems for the opponent and for the start time. Thanksgiving weekend cuts both ways as visitors are more likely but many Bills fans are gone. Weather also becomes a concern for planning.

Dec. 11 New England 1:00 - Should be a good game whether NE is good and folks are attracted or NE is bad and folks salivate at the chance to demolish them.

Dec. 17 Denver 8:30 - This is the wildcard as best as I can tell since this will be the first Bills home game at night in a long time. Denver is far away as well and this game is not the draw of a traditional rivalry. i would feel much more certain of a sellout if this was against a divisional opponent. it is the last regular season game though and particularly if the Bills get off to a good start this game is far enough from X-Mas to make it a fun excursion.

We'll see.

I agree with your assessment both as to the potential effect on keeping the Bills in town and on your estimation of potential sellouts. My only additional comment is that I think the Denver game WILL sellout since it is against Denver (a good , snow team, who we have played in big games in the past), the fact that it is a national game, the fact that is on a Saturday gives regional fans the day off of Sunday to travel home plus the late start gives regional fans an easy drive up and need only stay over one night.

The CNJBBB, in fact, is already discussing a SECOND tailgate (which means, FEZMID, a second chance at CNJBBB wings in Hammer's Lot) for the game. The Bills record and the weather may play a role in this (the former more than the latter certainly - I mean, what does it matter if it snows on our deep fat cooker??)

Go Bills!

-RichNJoisy

www.cnjbbb.org

I agree with your assessment both as to the potential effect on keeping the Bills in town and on your estimation of potential sellouts. My only additional comment is that I think the Denver game WILL sellout since it is against Denver (a good , snow team, who we have played in big games in the past), the fact that it is a national game, the fact that is on a Saturday gives regional fans the day off of Sunday to travel home plus the late start gives regional fans an easy drive up and need only stay over one night.

The CNJBBB, in fact, is already discussing a SECOND tailgate (which means, FEZMID, a second chance at CNJBBB wings in Hammer's Lot) for the game. The Bills record and the weather may play a role in this (the former more than the latter certainly - I mean, what does it matter if it snows on our deep fat cooker??)

Go Bills!

-RichNJoisy

www.cnjbbb.org

371746[/snapback]

Dam Rich, ya just talked me into going to that game. Saturday night is perfect. Fly in Saturday morning, fly out Sunday morning, only a 24 hr jaunt. Think i can get that approved.

Dam Rich, ya just talked me into going to that game. Saturday night is perfect. Fly in Saturday morning, fly out Sunday morning, only a 24 hr jaunt. Think i can get that approved.

371764[/snapback]

Way to go! If the team is doing well, the CNJBBB wil be there. As the date approaches, make sure to remind me and I will have your very own plate of Hot Wings ready for ya.

Dang! Now I want wings.....(and beer too, of course)

I've just had my cousin grab me tix for the opener and Denver, so that's two trips up from Atlanta.

As for the KC game, I've heard Chiefs fans travel well. However given the option I believe it would be best to keep the red to a minimum.

Way to go! If the team is doing well, the CNJBBB wil be there. As the date approaches, make sure to remind me and I will have your very own plate of Hot Wings ready for ya.

Dang! Now I want wings.....(and beer too, of course)

371768[/snapback]

Well, if my fellow CNJBBBs will be there, how can I not show up? See ya @ the opener AND on December 17th.

Well, if my fellow CNJBBBs will be there, how can I not show up?  See ya @ the opener AND on December 17th.

371778[/snapback]

Sounds good!

Now, if the Bills can only hold up their end of the "bargain".......... :P

Well, if my fellow CNJBBBs will be there, how can I not show up?  See ya @ the opener AND on December 17th.

371778[/snapback]

Sothwest schedule not up yet, but got $29 each way for the Dolphins game Rich. Maybe look around the end of July as I think they go out about 5 months

Great point about the night game being Saturday and thus giving folks a chance to travel without the immediate pressures of a Monday return to work. if the Bills ticket sellers are on their game, they will promote this as an opportunity to make this trip an event for travelers and at least let folks know of other options for having fun in conjunction with a trip to the Bills game.

Even for the hardcore who refuse to experience anything beside football unless it is delivered to their feet, you can get drunk anywhere and the Saturday night gives folks a day to deal with the hangover.

Sothwest schedule not up yet, but got $29 each way for the Dolphins game Rich. Maybe look around the end of July as I think they go out about 5 months

371810[/snapback]

Which one?

The 10/09 game is no good as it's in between trips for me (Psycho Ward 86 and I are going to New Orleans the week before; I'm going up to RICH for the Jets game the week after) and I have plans already for the December 4th weekend. Maybe next year I'll go to a Bills-Miami game. I haven't gone to one since the '96 season.

Which one?

The 10/09 game is no good as it's in between trips for me (Psycho Ward 86 and I are going to New Orleans the week before; I'm going up to RICH for the Jets game the week after) and I have plans already for the December 4th weekend.  Maybe next year I'll go to a Bills-Miami game.  I haven't gone to one since the '96 season.

371821[/snapback]

I meant cheap fares for the Denver game. If you get to their schedule pretty close to when its put out, they have some cheap fares.

that game is going to be great

371862[/snapback]

I predict a national newsworthy drunkin' incident, regardless of the outcome.

A Saturday night, 8:30pm start. Most people off work the next day. Plenty of time to prime themselves, with tailgates lasting 3 or 4 times longer than the norm. Thousands will just pour themselves into their seat.

I'd say 8/5 odds on a bearded Santa, streaking out of the stands...

A Saturday night, 8:30pm start. Most people off work the next day. Plenty of time to prime themselves, with tailgates lasting 3 or 4 times longer than the norm. Thousands will just pour themselves into their seat.

371874[/snapback]

great stuff.. I love Drunken Santa.. I think i saw him at a Sabres game w/o the Santa Suit...his Sabres Jersey said Drunk N Santa

371874[/snapback]

well, as long as he doesn't do it from the upper deck (with the illusional reindeer in front of him) I guess that'll be alright