is Denney a mediocre player?

No.

There are a couple of posts below on the issue of resigning Clements which make the point in a comparison that was not the central topic of the thread that Denney is a "mediocre" NFL player.

Since this claim was not the centrak topic of the thread and quite frankly is unsubstantiated by any logical evaluation I thought it was worth posting as a separate thread.

Look, I know folks were disappointed in Denney sack production after he signed a big contradct and rightly so in terms of the lowering of his sack production, but to jump to the conclusion that he is somehow a mediocre player (a worse than average NFL player) simply is unsupported as a football opinion.

Consider this:

1. Denney was the DE on one of the second ranked statistically D team in the league. Do you really think they achieved this lofty position and result even though they got "mediocre" play from their RDE?

2. If memory serves me correctly the team led the league in sacks and Denney diddnt do so bad himself. His personal totals disappointing for fans yes, but mediocre no.

3. A big part of his low sack total strikes me as the flexibility the athletic Denney offered the Bills which allowed him to do the short zone pass coverage credibly in the run blitz so others could rush effectively.

4. Denney's big problem as he developed was his being weak at the point of attack on runs and sometimes taking bad tackling angles (particularly as a rookie) however, by using him well in the run-blitz this both plays to Denney's strengths and away from his weaknesses. he struck me as more effective and better used in 2004 than in previous years.

5. For me the really big deal about the job Denney did last year was that his play and that of Kelsay and Schobal allowed the Bills to carry only 3 DEs when the import of this position and the rotation the Bills use on the DL really dictated that they keep 4 DEs. Thw great play and athleticism of all three DEs led by Denney (who strikes me as a better player than either Kelsay or Schobel) allowed the Bills to devote a valuable roster spot to keeping a designated long snapper and even shop for a long snapper after Dorenbos was injured. Their play gave us the flexiibility to activate rather than lose Jason peters because we had an extra roster spot.

Th notion that Denney for some reason should be judged mediocre has nothing to do with a good football judgment in my mind. By no means is he perfect and their can be great improvements in his play, but the notion that the 4th leading tackler on the #2 D in the league is a mediocre player is nothing short of laughable.

Th notion that Denney for some reason should be judged mediocre has nothing to do with a good football judgment in my mind. By no means is he perfect and their can be great improvements in his play, but the notion that the 4th leading tackler on the #2 D in the league is a mediocre player is nothing short of laughable.

370237[/snapback]

2nd round draft pick who is a backup DE with almost no sacks.

Ryan Denney = Mediocre

See mediocre: Websters

Adj. Mediocre ... 2: of no exceptional quality or ability;

4th leading tackler on the team? What you smokin'?

------------------------------------------------------------

Jacksonville 0 tackles

Oakland 1 tackle

Patriots 0 tackles

Jests 1 tackle

Miami 1 tackle

Ravens 0 tackles

Arizona 1 tackle

Jests 0 tackles

Patriots 1 tackle

St. Louis 1 tackle

Seahawks 1 tackle