Herniated disc in neck

Sister-in-law (wife's sister) had this done last week.

Herniated disc (C-5) in neck due to 3 car accidents in five years.

So far, the prognosis is for a complete recovery.

Anyone familiar with this type of surgery? Recovery times? Physical therapy? Complications? Etc.

369869[/snapback]

I have a bulging disc in my back. I see a chiropractor to do VAX therapy, which is basically a machine to do decompression.

I discussed the possibility of surgery with both my Doc and my Chiro (just in case), and they both said STAY AWAY from fusion. When you fuse together, it limits mobility, and the disc above has a good chance of herniation.

They now have a procedure which they can do laproscopically which is supposed to be much better.

I have a bulging disc in my back. I see a chiropractor to do VAX therapy, which is basically a machine to do decompression.

I discussed the possibility of surgery with both my Doc and my Chiro (just in case), and they both said STAY AWAY from fusion. When you fuse together, it limits mobility, and the disc above has a good chance of herniation.

They now have a procedure which they can do laproscopically which is supposed to be much better.

369879[/snapback]

I am an attorney who has many clients who have fusions. First, and most importantly, make sure the surgeon you are seeing is good! this is a surgury you do not want messed up (if there are any that you do want messed up).

Second, a doctor I respect explained the procedure to me in laymans terms. There are many "walking wounded" out there in the world with bulges and herniations. These people should not have fusions. Fusions should only be used on those who's pain is an "F" on an "A-F" scale. The fusion will not cure the problem, rather it will get those who are an "F" up to a "C" and allow them to be a member of the "walking wounded" club and may need life-long pain management.

Third, similar to my second point, fusions should only be done on very serious cases because the disc levels above the fusion will deteriorate and the fusion may have to be extended. This happens because the fusion causes more stress to be put on the level above. If a person with a fusion is involved in another accident they are more vulnerable because their spine is less flexible.

I am an attorney who has many clients who have fusions. First, and most importantly, make sure the surgeon you are seeing is good! this is a surgury you do not want messed up (if there are any that you do want messed up).

Second, a doctor I respect explained the procedure to me in laymans terms. There are many "walking wounded" out there in the world with bulges and herniations. These people should not have fusions. Fusions should only be used on those who's pain is an "F" on an "A-F" scale. The fusion will not cure the problem, rather it will get those who are an "F" up to a "C" and allow them to be a member of the "walking wounded" club and may need life-long pain management.

Third, similar to my second point, fusions should only be done on very serious cases because the disc levels above the fusion will deteriorate and the fusion may have to be extended. This happens because the fusion causes more stress to be put on the level above. If a person with a fusion is involved in another accident they are more vulnerable because their spine is less flexible.

369912[/snapback]

Do you know anything about the laproscopic procedure??

When I researched it, it seemed less barbaric then the open discectomy.

Do you know anything about the laproscopic procedure??

When I researched it, it seemed less barbaric then the open discectomy.

369948[/snapback]

There is a procedure where they go in with a wire or tube and "burn" the tissue that is bulging. Is that what youa re refering to? From what I understand that is appropriate for bulges but not serious herniations.

There is also a new synthetic disc replacement. There are only approximately 13 doctors in the country who do it, one of them is in Buffalo. However, because it is so new insurance carriers are not covering it (especially Comp or no-fault carriers). When the cost is scheduled and comes down it will be more widely availible. I have heard good things about it.

My girlfriend's father had that procedure (or a similar one) done in early spring. I believe he had two collapsed disks in his neck and it was causing numbness in his arm and pain in his neck (obviously). They essentially inserted a metal plate in between each vertebre and bolted them together as to simulate the discs that had collapsed. His doctor told him that he could not go back to work for 12 weeks (because he does manual labor) but he is a restless, stubborn man <_< and he returned to light duty within 3 weeks and I believe full duty within 6 weeks.

So far, no complaints. He said the numbness and pain were gone instantly upon his waking up from the procedure. He had trouble speaking for a few weeks because they went in through his throat, but beyond that he is doing very well (knock on wood).

Hope everything works out for your sister-in-law.

Anyone familiar with this type of surgery? Recovery times? Physical therapy? Complications? Etc.

369869[/snapback]

my sister in law had a procedure like this done not long ago. what was interesting to me is that they went in through the front of her neck.

she was in the hospital for a few days and had a long PT time....a lot of which i think had to do with her age, (51) and her typical lack of every day activity.

because of the neck brace, i think she was not allowed to drive for a couple of weeks, but other than that it didn't deter her from her daily "chores".

This happened about 9 months ago, and they had to go back in about 2 months ago to re-tighten a screw. which was a very simple procedure....but something i would consider a "complication".

3. T-boned by SUV running red light - SUV fled scene.

370048[/snapback]

Are you saying the SUV hit her after running a red light, and then changed its mind and decided not to hit her even though he had obviously hit her in front of everyone? Man, that is definitely what I would call getting T-boned.

My wife had this surgery (c5-c6) done 3 years ago to date. It gave her

immense relie from the terrible pain she had from neck all the way

to the fingers. It took one year after the surgery for her to feel 99% good.

She still gets the pain once in a while very rarely, when she gets a sprain

etc. but thanks to the surgery she is leading a normal life.

As some one posted, the Dr. to do the surgery is very important..Also it

is better to be a neuro-surgeon rather than a orthopedic. Our dr. is

a very renowned neurosurgeon working at UPMC pittsburgh.

The problem is when the disc herniates or bulges, the bones above and

below the disc press on the nerve roots originating there causing pain

to be sent down the shoulder/arm. The procedure basically removes

the useless disc and replaces it with a titanium cage/disc. They also

had to make th cut in her throat area (not the back) to get to the disc.

Good luck with your sister-in-law. It is important she continues the

physical therapy and daily exercise..

369869[/snapback]

I had C-6 surgery on March 31st of this year. Prior to the surgery, I had a constant knifing pain in the left shoulder blade area and on-and-off radiating pain down my left arm (felt like when your arm "falls asleep") and numbness in my forefinger and middlefinger. This all started in late January. I tried all sorts of pain management including steroids, which did not help. Finally, I relented to the surgery. They went in thru the front of my neck, since the back of the neck has so many tendons and muscles. Upon waking from the surgery, I had immediate relief from the pain in my back/neck/arm. The only post-op pain I had was a bad sore throat for about four or five days due to the intubation tube. They gave me Percocet, which I did not need. The most difficult part was not being able to lie down flat for the first couple of weeks while sleeping, but you adjust. The doctor (who was great) put a piece of bone from the bone bank where the disc had been and fused the vertabrae. A titanium plate was also screwed in place for stabilization and quicker recovery time. I was in a hard aspen collar for two weeks and then a soft collar for four weeks after that. I was driving and back to work within 3 1/2 weeks. The doctor told me no contact-type sports for six weeks but by 12 weeks he said that I could whatever I wanted to do. They gave me the option of physical therapy but I declined and have felt great since the procedure.

Whoever mentioned lack of mobility or loss in range of motion is mistaken. I was concerned about this and asked the surgeon prior to consenting. He said that the range of motion in your neck is mainly in the C-1/C-2 region (near the top, towards the skull). Surgery in the C-5/C-6 range should cause little to no loss and this was the case for me. Good luck to your sister-in-law.

BTW, I only have a small scar at the base of my neck that is about 1 1/2 inches long. I know several people who have had this surgery and they said that after a couple of years they can barely find their scar anymore.

I had the C6-7 discectomy on March 7th this year. They removed the herniated disc, placed a donor bone in there and locked it all down with a titanium plate and locking screws. I was in a Miami J collar for 9 days. Then my neurosurgeon told me I didn't need it any more.

I am recovered now. I still have a small amount of numbness in my left hand. It comes and goes. I think my doctor did a fine job. I can move my neck MORE now than before the surgery. However, mine was simple. I only had the one herniated disc. The discs on either side were fine.

I was on heavy painkillers for a long time before surgery and for a month after. I quit those cold turkey. When I did EVERYTHING hurt for a few weeks and then I returned to my normal self.

Let me know if you need any other information.

My mom and her dad (my grandfather) have both have each had at least two surgeries to repair ruptured discs. Granted, his was in the early 80s and hers in the early 90s, but both have had serious complications (mostly frequent pain and headaches) and both wish that they'd never had it done.

Best of luck to you and hopefully medical science has advanced enough that you won't have the problems my family members have had.