My biggest Bills question mark

Pat Williams remains a "quality" run stopping interior lineman with excellent hands in the running game, giving him both the ability to force plays away or make tackles.

369661[/snapback]

When was the last time Pat Williams was double teamed in for majority of

the snaps....before Sam Adams came to the bills....and how was his production

during that season.....it stunk...

As I said PW is a good player....not a great player....Look at how he has

played against the Steelers/Patriots/Jets last year, plays against teams

that count..I think he came up quite short.

I agree we are going to see Dillon, Martin and Williams and the D has to

plan to stop these guys....The point is you cannot hope your older players

will be playing forever...You have to move on and get younger and fresh

players....There is always a doubt as to what a new player can do...but

you cannot find out if they don't play.....

If our Offense can run the ball well and control the Time of Possession,

keeping the defense fresh, I like my chances with our new set of DTs...

Just like how we have given our young DEs to progress, we have to

give Edwards/Bannan and Anderson the chance to play to find out how

good they are.

Pat Williams remains a "quality" run stopping interior lineman with excellent hands in the running game, giving him both the ability to force plays away or make tackles.

Ron Edwards is a known quantity- he's become a solid passing down lineman who plays too high to be effective in the run game and consequently too many running plays go right over him. He is NOT a good run tackler.

We know virtually nothing about Tim Anderson.

Even in the weakest divisions in the league, a rotation including AT LEAST two "quality" interior linemen is the absolute minimum for being competitive today. No objective source would make the claim that we have two "quality" interior D Linemen when in fact we merely have one. The last time a team even got to the Super Bowl with one "quality" interior linemen we watched Tampa run the ball down the throats of Sam Adams and a group of role players like we're looking to put on the field this season.

We'll see Corey Dillon twice, Curtis Martin twice and almost surely Rickey Williams twice this season plus Priest Holmes, LaDanian Tomlinson, Stephen Davis and Rueben Droughns. A good case could be made for us being non-competitive against any of those teams- leaving us lucky to win 7 or 8 games this coming season. It's safe to assume that finishing .500 in the AFC East will be a dead end, and without adding at least one solid interior D Lineman our schedule of potent running offenses will simply destroy the most humble hopes of the 2005 Bills.

369661[/snapback]

What you say is true, but I am not as worried as you. Hey, Anderson played about as much as JP last season. If JP could benefit from the sidelines, perhaps so could Anderson.

PW imo is not getting any better. In fact, he is blowing up like a balloon, and might tip the scales at close to 375. I just cannot see him staying in the league much longer at this size.

As for the above listed teams, I respectfully remind you that RBs are probably the most frequently injured players, and chances are we will not face all of those backs in every game. Your point wrt this however is well taken.

If Edward/Anderson improve as the season progresses, I think that we should be OK.

Or is this me being a homer?

Just like how we have given our young DEs to progress, we have to

give Edwards/Bannan and Anderson the chance to play to find out how

good they are.

369690[/snapback]

Or to simply discover how bad.

You can have faith in Edwards and Bannan against the run- I've seen way to much of both of them to buy into that.

Again, it would be great if Anderson were a break-out player in '05 but even then we'd be just "adequate" with two "quality" DTs. I'm surprised by how fans downplay the fact that the winningest management group in our league over the past few years plays a 3-4 and yet they've got better depth at the DT spot than we do!

The simple fact is we don't even have adequate starters at DT and we ADDITIONALLY have no depth.

Or is this me being a homer?

369703[/snapback]

I'd merely offer this advice: Enjoy the first quarter of the season. Short of a good DT being brought in I'm guessing you'll see my doomsday prediction playing out very clearly before our Bye in week 9. And at that time there'll be no way to correct our lack of quality AND depth in the middle of our defense.