Guitars

VABills

I was watching Peter Jacobson and friends on TV early this morning on Golf Channel. That had some "famous" guitar maker on there. Well the format is they talk a little about golf, as well as the professions of each of the guests.

He said something to the effect that what we as "civilians" see in guitar player is wrong. We have no clue what makes a great guitar player. He said the ones that everyone lists in the top 100 are terrible and could not compare with the real greats. He pretty much implied that most people would not appreciate it and the bands would not be able to handle good players.

Did anyone see this? I really think he was taking a mjor jab at the Van Halens, Eric Claptons, etc... of the world.

I was watching Peter Jacobson and friends on TV early this morning on Golf Channel.  That had some "famous" guitar maker on there.  Well the format is they talk a little about golf, as well as the professions of each of the guests.

He said something to the effect that what we as "civilians" see in guitar player is wrong.  We have no clue what makes a great guitar player.  He said the ones that everyone lists in the top 100 are terrible and could not compare with the real greats.  He pretty much implied that most people would not appreciate it and the bands would not be able to handle good players. 

Did anyone see this?  I really think he was taking a mjor jab at the Van Halens, Eric Claptons, etc... of the world.

368210[/snapback]

You get up on a Sunday morning and tune in the guitar conversation on the golf channel?

And here, I thought MY life was boring.

i had a guitar and i still can not play it

368213[/snapback]

Did you ever try to learn? I say this because I have a guitar but I never tried to take my hobby further. I'm not good but I think if I learned a bit I could be average.

You get up on a Sunday morning and tune in the guitar conversation on the golf channel?

And here, I thought MY life was boring.

368216[/snapback]

It was on when I flipped the TV on. I like the Kelly Thigeman (sp??) that is on there. I am thinking shower scene with her. :angry:

It was on when I flipped the TV on.  I like the Kelly Thigeman (sp??) that is on there.  I am thinking shower scene with her.  :angry:

368224[/snapback]

Did you check out my Italian golfer photo? Sophie is kinda cute.

In the Wie thread.

And...

1. Because I can.

2. Chances are, you were the only one watching anyway.

368234[/snapback]

Well people don't know good TV either. I guess if it isn't American Idol, Lost, etc... then it doesn't matter.

Well people don't know good TV either.  I guess if it isn't American Idol, Lost, etc... then it doesn't matter.

368235[/snapback]

And you went to bed watching the golf channel.

You DO know you're talking to someone who has never seen a single episode of either of them.

I was watching Peter Jacobson and friends on TV early this morning on Golf Channel.  That had some "famous" guitar maker on there.  Well the format is they talk a little about golf, as well as the professions of each of the guests.

He said something to the effect that what we as "civilians" see in guitar player is wrong.  We have no clue what makes a great guitar player.  He said the ones that everyone lists in the top 100 are terrible and could not compare with the real greats.  He pretty much implied that most people would not appreciate it and the bands would not be able to handle good players. 

Did anyone see this?  I really think he was taking a mjor jab at the Van Halens, Eric Claptons, etc... of the world.

368210[/snapback]

Ok here is another topic that I guess you need to be better informed on. The mainstreem guitar players especially rock guitarists cannot hold a candle to the true masters of the instrument. Eddie, Slash, and the glam rockers cannot play music outside of ther genres because they are not very talented. Look into real muscisians like emmit ray, paco deluccia, al demiola, john scofield, and there are about 500 more. These guys can play anything and would embarass any mainstreem rocker.

Ok here is another topic that I guess you need to be better informed on.  The mainstreem guitar players especially rock guitarists cannot hold a candle to the true masters of the instrument.  Eddie, Slash, and the glam rockers cannot play music outside of ther genres because they are not very talented.  Look into real muscisians like emmit ray, paco deluccia, al demiola, john scofield,  and there are about 500 more.  These guys can play anything and would embarass any mainstreem rocker.

368240[/snapback]

Guess you didn't read, that is what this guy implied. I have no clue, because I don't have a musical bone in my body.

Ok here is another topic that I guess you need to be better informed on.  The mainstreem guitar players especially rock guitarists cannot hold a candle to the true masters of the instrument.  Eddie, Slash, and the glam rockers cannot play music outside of ther genres because they are not very talented.  Look into real muscisians like emmit ray, paco deluccia, al demiola, john scofield,  and there are about 500 more.  These guys can play anything and would embarass any mainstreem rocker.

368240[/snapback]

There's a pretty big hole in your argument considering Eddie Van Halen was trained as a classical pianist and comes from a family well versed in same. I saw him jamming at a NADY show with Holdsworth and he held his own just fine and they were basically playing fusion.

Randy Rhoads was pretty much the same way.

There's a pretty big hole in your argument considering Eddie Van Halen was trained as a classical pianist and comes from a family well versed in same.  I saw him jamming at a NADY show with Holdsworth and he held his own just fine and they were basically playing fusion. 

Randy Rhoads was pretty much the same way.

368253[/snapback]

That still is not on the same level as these virtouso's. My apologies if that is what the thread implied.

Eddie, Slash, and the glam rockers cannot play music outside of ther genres because they are not very talented.

368240[/snapback]

I totally agree with the gist of your post, but I think it'd be a mistake to lump EVH into that category.

FWIW, I play.

I totally agree with the gist of your post, but I think it'd be a mistake to lump EVH into that category.

FWIW, I play.

368264[/snapback]

I do as well. For almost 40 years. So does the CTM, believe it or not. Not everyone can be an Andres Segovia. For that matter, some of the best true musicians, technique-wise, play bluegrass or jazz/blues. Many of them are classically trained - have won competitions, but you've probably never heard of them.

Where's Azalin when you need him? Most commercial players ARE one trick ponies, but because of genre, I would caution against the stereotypes.

Did you ever try to learn? I say this because I have a guitar but I never tried to take my hobby further. I'm not good but I think if I learned a bit I could be average.

368221[/snapback]

took lessons for a year teacher said I try something else . :angry::doh: