Im surprised theres no word yet on Clements.

Im shocked the bills havent made any attempts to resign this guy....or at least rumors that we are trying to resign him. Clements is one of my favorite players on this team and would be upset to see him go. I know its a long shot to get him signed before camp but theres always hope.

In all honesty I think he gets the transistion tag or franchised at seasons end.

Hopefully no news is good news in this case. Have you guys heard anything?

Im shocked the bills havent made any attempts to resign this guy....or at least rumors that we are trying to resign him. Clements is one of my favorite players on this team and would be upset to see him go. I know its a long shot to get him signed before camp but theres always hope.

In all honesty I think he gets the transistion tag or franchised at seasons end.

Hopefully no news is good news in this case. Have you guys heard anything?

365041[/snapback]

If you follow TD at all, he will not overpay for any player. You can safely assume, if Clements is not extended before the regular season starts, he will be a free-agent in 2006. Clements is one of my favorite players too, but I think his reputation is being very over-blown this off-season. I think he is a very good corner, but there seems to, all of the sudden, be this notion that he is one of the 3 best corners in the leauge. I agree that he will be the best corner available next offseason in free agency (from what I have seen), but does that make him the best overall? I would hate to lose him, but I have a strong feeling we will...unless he has a monster season in 2005, I don't think he will be worth what someone is going to pay him next season...if TD does one thing well, it is manage a salary cap.

i'm far from surprised.......in all of TD's time he has never had a major resigning of a player entering the last year of his deal in the spring or early summer months........love to see clements locked up as a long-term bill, but i would be surprised if anything gets done........

I highly highly highly doubt nate clements just walks after this season.  Worst case scenairo he'll be franchised.

365110[/snapback]

Not so sure about that. Got a feeling ole Tommy boy waiting to see what the new CBA looks like. Sharing some of that local revenue could make the differance wheather Ralph willing to give a $15-18 M bonus. Franchices a CB awfully expensive these days. Think it is around $8M

I highly highly highly doubt nate clements just walks after this season.  Worst case scenairo he'll be franchised.

365110[/snapback]

The going rate for Franchise Tag is about 8M dollars....that is straight 8m

against the cap if Clements just signs the 1yr tender...I don't think the bills

have sufficient cap room to take on that kind of salary....

Plus, we might have reached a point where teams will stop overpaying for

a starting corner and go to the draft and get one in the 1st few rounds.

We might then have no takers to do a trade.

I think we will let him walk just like JJ did, another he has a league MVP type

season.

Plus, we might have reached a point where teams will stop overpaying for

a starting corner and go to the draft and get one in the 1st few rounds.

We might then have no takers to do a trade.

365129[/snapback]

with the salary cap taking a major bump with a new CBA (or if no CBA, the potential for an uncapped year in '07) i don't think teams will stop paying anytime soon........makes it even more important to get good, young players signed long-term well in advance of their free agency date.......

I'm not buying this. Clements is too good a talent to let just walk. No offense to the Kevin Thomas's and Jabari Greer's and Eric Kings of the world but none of those guys are world beaters. Nice players sure. Guys you want your future secondary to build around? Hell No!

Resigning Nate Clements is an absolute must. You don't let a all pro caliber 25 year old cb just walk. I'm sure tom donahoe also realizes that. You franchise him and work out a deal.

When do the Bills ever negotiate through the press ?

365149[/snapback]

early last summer when they announced that PW, AS, and JJ all received contract offers that were valid until training camp........and shortly after when they announced that talks had been halted with all 3 and offers were revoked BEFORE training camp.........

After the rule changes and especially after the Roscoe Parrish pick, I suspect TD sees the CB position as overpriced. The only way Parrish succeeds is if the rules are enforced. That drives a CB's value down...

But who knows?

I'm sure TD has had discussions with Clements' agent.  And I think that if he isn't extended, he gets franchised for sure.

365140[/snapback]

I feel that, only if the bills feel that Nate's demands are within their ballpark

of affordobility without damage to the cap, that they will franchise him.

Ideally they should lock him up now....The more delay, the asking price is

going up...especially if he does end up having a All-Pro season.

i'm far from surprised.......in all of TD's time he has never had a major resigning of a player entering the last year of his deal in the spring or early summer months........love to see clements locked up as a long-term bill, but i would be surprised if anything gets done........

365107[/snapback]

Didn't he sign AS? Or wasn't he in the last year of his contract? I'm not sure...

CW

Didn't he sign AS?  Or wasn't he in the last year of his contract?  I'm not sure...

CW

365230[/snapback]

Yes, he did. D wagthedog makes statements like that just to downplay (read: ignore) items that completely contradict his thesis. Schobel was signed like September 8th on the eve of the season, which would be "late summer months".

Yes, he did. D wagthedog makes statements like that just to downplay (read: ignore) items that completely contradict his thesis. Schobel was signed like September 8th on the eve of the season, which would be "late summer months".

365267[/snapback]

and my thesis is, oh unfair and biased dog?

i said i am not surprised he is unsigned AT THIS POINT in the off-season.........why? because TD during his tenure with the bills has never had a resigning of a potentially major free agent AT THIS POINT in the off-season........it's a fact, not an opinion, even if you hate to hear it.......on another note, he resigned schobel in the late summer........that has absolutely nothing to do with my original statement.........

i said i am not surprised he is unsigned AT THIS POINT in the off-season.........why? because TD during his tenure with the bills has never had a resigning of a potentially major free agent AT THIS POINT in the off-season........it's a fact, not an opinion, even if you hate to hear it.......on another note, he resigned schobel in the late summer........that has absolutely nothing to do with my original statement.........

365293[/snapback]

Does any GM sign players longterm at this time of the offseason?

CW

Does any GM sign players longterm at this time of the offseason?

CW

365297[/snapback]

off the top of my head:

todd heap

marcus stroud

santana moss

jamal williams

joe horn

mike minter

chris hoke

eric heitmann

all within the past two months........

365293[/snapback]

If you want to continue, as you are wont to do, to come across as the most disingenuous poster here, that's okay. In fact, you're extraordinary at it.

You don't like the way TD does not resign players early. That is fine and a legitimate argument. What you WANT to say, desparately, is that he NEVER does it. But you can't, because it's not true. That is obvious to everyone. So you put foolish looking qualifiers in there, like "early summer months" to make it appear on casual reading that he never does it. But it's stupid, and completely disingenuous.