5 Cities Tried to Steal The Bills From WNY

2 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Seattle, Toronto, and also Miami in the early AFL years

Jacksonville,  Tennessee,  Tampa, Cleveland after the Browns moved, Orlando, Arizona,  Columbus,  Houston, Hartford,  etc, etc. 😆 

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Jukester said:

She doesn’t say which 5 cities

She also says “we’re [the state] in for $650M of what will be a well over $2B stadium.”  What?? No other detail given on what caused such crazy overruns of what started at $1.4B

Been a little inflation since the stadium budget was created.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Jacksonville,  Tennessee,  Tampa, Cleveland after the Browns moved, Orlando, Arizona,  Columbus,  Houston, Hartford,  etc, etc. 😆 

You don’t remember the bid by Nantucket? 

It’s a staple in the world of limericks. 

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Honestly, what’s with the NFL and their stadium complaints?  No one is rebuilding “the shoe” at Ohio state, no one says “the big house” at Michigan is too old.   The LA Coliseum is plenty good for USC.  I think all those stadiums hold more seats than any NFL stadium and college games are just as big productions/broadcasts

We do need wind deflectors/fins!!!

I know a little bit about the lease and the situation from that time. This is kind of BS. Ralph and his team (Littman, Russ Brandon, etc) negotiated an iron clad lease that wouldn’t have allowed someone to move for like a decade. This was Ralph’s wish and way to ensure that the next owners would keep the team here.

I don’t remember the specifics but certain groups explored buying the Bills but it wasn’t going to be “tough to move them away.” It was impossible. They would have been a lame duck in WNY for like a decade and paid a crazy amount (like more than the cost of the team if my memory is right). No one really knew the specifics until the bidding started and they were screwed (including Bon Jovi). The details are fuzzy but the overarching point is that relocation was never an option.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

At varying points Austin TX, Portland OR, St Louis & San Diego were all interested.

Let's hear it for the San Diego Bills!  NOT!

I lived in Austin until last year. The city and people of Austin did not have interest.

36 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Honestly, what’s with the NFL and their stadium complaints?  No one is rebuilding “the shoe” at Ohio state, no one says “the big house” at Michigan is too old.   The LA Coliseum is plenty good for USC.  I think all those stadiums hold more seats than any NFL stadium and college games are just as big productions/broadcasts

College players aren’t taking 49% ( or whatever ) of the revenue. Simple as that. 

Wasn’t Ralph talking about moving them to Seattle prior to the expansion that brought in the Seahawks and Bucs ? 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Cherry pick three Iconic college stadiums with rabid fans/alumni and successful programs.

Apples and Oranges.

Peterpan, how do you explain the new NFL stadiums built since the Ralph was built?   Would you have been pleased if no $ was put in and we were still at  War Memorial Stadium with no taxpayer funding?  For the record, I am 100% against taxpayer funding of any stadiums but it it a reality we have to deal with.

And I call BS on her 5 other unidentified cities vying for it, classic politician, I dont blame here.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

I think the San Antonio/Austin Corridor [5MM people] would support a team, but Jerry Jones will block that.

San Diego had a team and let it walk, too many other things to do on the weekend.

Orlando is then next biggest metro, but Tampa might think, not in my back yard, and Jacksonville struggles to fill their stadium.

I was interested to see that other than Green Bay, Buffalo is still a bigger market than New Orleans, & esp when you add in Rochester, Buffalo's market is the same size as Nashville.

6 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Cherry pick three Iconic college stadiums with rabid fans/alumni and successful programs.

Apples and Oranges.

Peterpan, how do you explain the new NFL stadiums built since the Ralph was built?   Would you have been pleased if no $ was put in and we were still at  War Memorial Stadium with no taxpayer funding?  For the record, I am 100% against taxpayer funding of any stadiums but it it a reality we have to deal with.

And I call BS one her 5 other unidentified cities vying for it, classic politician, I dont blame here.

Remember the good old days at Rich Stadium where people pissed in their bottles, in the sink, or anywhere else other than urinal trough in the 10x10 bathroom on the other side of the Stadium? Guess some money was needed for updates after all right?

Edited by thronethinker

45 minutes ago, peterpan said:

It's all about bargaining power. The college teams aren't about to leave town and they fill their old stadiums (except for USC) so it makes no dollars and sense to incur the huge cost to build new stadiums.

An NFL team can move out of town plus the NFL wants modern stadiums so cities and states with franchises must "pay to play" or risk losing their teams.

• Agree 1