If you could go back in time to March of 2024, would you sign Derrick Henry?

Lost

At that point in time, RB was probably the one position we really didn't have a need but damn,  the Ravens are paying him the same amount we signed Curtis Samuel for and Henry is having an exponentially greater effect on the Ravens passing game than Samuel is ours.   Cook has been the most consistent piece of our offense this year but he doesn't fundamentally change the way defenses play against us.   Having someone with the physical stature of Henry is forcing teams to bring in an extra LB because he is just trucking over smaller safeties and DBs.   This might rank in the top 5 missed opportunities in the Beane era, right up there with drafting Cody Ford over DK Metcalf.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 3

The Curtis Samuel signing truly looks horrific and it's only magnified by the Ravens signing of Henry for the same money. 

I'm willing to let it play out, because A) Henry could fade as the season goes on and B) Samuel could get healthy and do some damage as WR4/5

But, ugh... as of right now, Baltimore signing Henry and Buffalo signing Samuel looks to be the difference between the two teams.  He has transformed their Offense and is opening up their passing game by just his presence out there.. nevermind the fact he has been really good early in the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Process said:

No. Henry is nice now. 

QB, coaching and defense is what wins Superbowls. 

Ravens are getting a ton of hype right now and they deserve it. But it's October, and it's all meaningless. 

offense gets you to the playoffs. time of possession and lack of errors get you to the super bowl. defense wins championhips.

Samuel never made sense. I would have preferred Henry in the offseason but think that Ray Davis can be as important as Henry would have been.

Darynton Evans is going to be an interesting situation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Some of you guys need to let some of these misses go.  Every GM has misses.

To answer the question, no, I don't want Derrick Henry.  If we had signed Henry, we probably wouldn't have had the money to trade for Amari Cooper.

We didn't pay hardly anything for Amari Cooper aside from a draft pick...

Beane is a very good GM, but players like Hines and Samuel... niche players that our revolving door of OC's want, yet we don't seem to know how to use is a valid criticism of the FO. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Some of you guys need to let some of these misses go.  Every GM has misses.

To answer the question, no, I don't want Derrick Henry.  If we had signed Henry, we probably wouldn't have had the money to trade for Amari Cooper.

Yeah brother, you’re absolutely right. As awesome as Henry is, does he love the needle enough to where we are 7-0? That’s likely a no. 

For this team, especially with the talent we appear to have at RB, Cooper moves the needle for offensive production more than Henry would have. And, like you stated, we probably don’t have him. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

The Curtis Samuel signing truly looks horrific and it's only magnified by the Ravens signing of Henry for the same money. 

I'm willing to let it play out, because A) Henry could fade as the season goes on and B) Samuel could get healthy and do some damage as WR4/5

But, ugh... as of right now, Baltimore signing Henry and Buffalo signing Samuel looks to be the difference between the two teams.  He has transformed their Offense and is opening up their passing game by just his presence out there.. nevermind the fact he has been really good early in the season. 

you beat me to it...

would you trade curtis samuel straight up for king henry

c'mon now......hell yeah

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We didn't pay hardly anything for Amari Cooper aside from a draft pick...

Beane is a very good GM, but players like Hines and Samuel... niche players that our revolving door of OC's want, yet we don't seem to know how to use is a valid criticism of the FO. 

But Henry cost $10 million to sign.  I believe that would have affected other signings.  

Henry looks good now but would you be confident he doesn't slow down later in the year?  He's a bruising 30 year old back.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, papazoid said:

you beat me to it...

would you trade curtis samuel straight up for king henry

c'mon now......hell yeah

That trade straight up? Sure. That’s obvious. 

Then you’ve got 2 RBs that succeed more on early downs who both are walking out the door at the same time.

As much as many of us are not fans of how Samuel is shaping up so far, the talent is there. He’s not 100% and seems to be used incorrectly. 

The real question becomes would you take an RB duo of Cook/Henry, cause Ray Davis isn’t getting drafted, for a WR room of Shakir/Mack/MVS/Keon?

The question actually goes further because of you take Henry that draft is exponentially different. They probably don’t bounce back as much to take a guy and they aren’t drafting Ray Davis. So what’s the takeaway? The world of possibilities is endless as you get Henry instead of Samuel and a whole different draft class. 

Samuel/Davis/Cooper essentially = Henry/?

Edited by Sojourner

3 minutes ago, Success said:

Nope.

Henry looks great - but he's old for a RB, and the mileage is likely to catch up with him by January.

yeah, I’ve seen him too many times in recent years looking like he did when he was trying to get over 200 in the fourth quarter against us.  Lot is very short gains and defensive stops. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'd go back in time and draft Tom Brady in the 5th round. I'd also take Maxx Crosby in the 3rd round. Hey, if we can go back in time and get whoever we want, why not go all in?

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Should coulda woulda, every team every season…, 

I guess one can dwell on the past and get themselves all worked up, or just kick back and enjoy a Martini 🍸and watch the games, and then go on with real life,