Chiefs may trade for WR Hopkins

Magox

59 minutes ago, eball said:

Splash move that will have the media and fans going bonkers but probably doesn’t actually move the needle that much.  He’s not the player he was but will command some attention from defenses and may open things up for Worthy.

I saw a funny tweet:  The Chiefs went from being a team that will probably win the Super Bowl to a team that will probably win the Super Bowl.

They have him for two years though if I am understanding his contract correctly.  So a conditional 4th/5th for two years at around 3 million a year seems pretty reasonable.

Andy Reid has taken lots of players and maximized what they do well.  Hopkins will be no different.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Again, he had a good season last year. I think he's been on the trading block the last couple of weeks and that the Titans were protecting their asset.

It’s weird there wasn’t more interest for him…I mean I could totally buy the chiefs front office being much better than the rest of the league but the offer seemed pretty low ball so I doubt anyone else was really interested 

7 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

They have him for two years though if I am understanding his contract correctly.  So a conditional 4th/5th for two years at around 3 million a year seems pretty reasonable.

Andy Reid has taken lots of players and maximized what they do well.  Hopkins will be no different.

Is it 3 mil a year?  I think the titans payed him some this season and the chiefs are only eating part of his contract this year.  I’d assume next year would be more than 3 mil but could be wrong 

4 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

It’s weird there wasn’t more interest for him…I mean I could totally buy the chiefs front office being much better than the rest of the league but the offer seemed pretty low ball so I doubt anyone else was really interested 

Is it 3 mil a year?  I think the titans payed him some this season and the chiefs are only eating part of his contract this year.  I’d assume next year would be more than 3 mil but could be wrong 

The Bills have to pay Cooper only $1 million or so, and even if the Chiefs get TN to eat some of the salary, they're still going to have pay a portion of the remaining $8 million that will be larger than what the Bills are paying Cooper (significantly so, probably). 

Whether he lost a step or not doesn't matter.  With his sure hands and Patty's ability to extend plays, he will get open.  This is a good move for him and the Chiefs.  It was so obvious watching the game that he was being traded.  They were making sure he did not get hurt.  You could see it in his sideline posture.  They must have told him on the sidelines that he was done as a Titan.

• Agree 3

27 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Yeah, I’m not criticizing the move or saying Hopkins is washed.  I just don’t think it does all that much, although it arguably makes an already strong team a little bit stronger.

In the D-Hop thread yesterday I said "watch him become a Kansas City chief for laughably small trade compensation", and here we are.

When I heard the news, I rolled my eyes a bit, but it honestly didn't irk me too much. The Chiefs are ALREADY undefeated. They're ALREADY the team to beat. Them adding the wide receiver that our corners just showed they can capably cover didn't bother me as much as I imagined it might.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

In the D-Hop thread yesterday I said "watch him become a Kansas City chief for laughably small trade compensation", and here we are.

When I heard the news, I rolled my eyes a bit, but it honestly didn't irk me too much. The Chiefs are ALREADY undefeated. They're ALREADY the team to beat. Them adding the wide receiver that our corners just showed they can capably cover didn't bother me as much as I imagined it might.

We might feel differently if/when Hopkins looks close to how he did in Houston.   I hope it's not coming....but we'll see 

9 minutes ago, eball said:

Yeah, I’m not criticizing the move or saying Hopkins is washed.  I just don’t think it does all that much, although it definitely makes an already strong team a little bit stronger.

Fixed.

its a good move for them 💯 

10 minutes ago, Logic said:

We covered him easily vs Rudolph and the titans OL.  I think it’ll be much different in KC

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We did it in 22 before Von got hurt.

regular season

3 minutes ago, mikemac2001 said:

Looks like they tried for cupp but wouldn’t give up a high pick and went to Hopkins instead

where'd you see this?   I'd give a 2 for Kupp for Rams to eat his $ this year which they are apparently willing to 

1 hour ago, Buffalo4Life01 said:

For anyone saying he is washed or that the offseason MCL injury is a major factor now, I don't buy that for one second.  The Chiefs have one of the best front office's in the entire NFL right now.  If they are trading for D Hop, it's only because they've done a thorough investigation and they believe without a doubt he is 100% healthy and will help them win a 3rd straight Super Bowl.  Even if he has lost a step, good luck covering him in the red zone where the Chiefs have had some issues so far this season.  He absolutely helps to solve that problem.  Right now KC has a very good to elite defense, very good to great special teams, the best front office/coaching staff in the NFL, and the best QB in the game.  Throw in DHop and if their 7-0 record didn't give you reason to pause before, it certainly should now.  

If I'm Buffalo I'm seriously considering looking for help at safety and on the D.line if I seriously believe the team can win it all this season.

They traded a 2nd for Toney... 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1