Chiefs may trade for WR Hopkins

Magox

This reminds me of when Sammy Watkins went to the Chiefs, where he underperformed but ultimately was a good signing for the Chiefs. Hopkins will probably be a helpful role player that can help take some of the attention away from their rookie and Kelce. 

It's a good move. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Splash move that will have the media and fans going bonkers but probably doesn’t actually move the needle that much.  He’s not the player he was but will command some attention from defenses and may open things up for Worthy.

I saw a funny tweet:  The Chiefs went from being a team that will probably win the Super Bowl to a team that will probably win the Super Bowl.

• Agree 1

i'm laughing at everyone saying he is washed up. sure, he may not be as good as he was 4-5 years ago but it is undeniable he made this team better and more importantly this team was already in contention to win the super bowl.

so, a team that was probably vying for the super bowl title got slightly better at the least but the average person just writes off that Hopkins is washed - strange to me.

regardless, he does not need to run past defenders or separate.  there are two factors here. ball placement with mahomes is incredible and he can get it where Hopkins can and will win the contested catch. and when he does not win the catch the refs will bail the team out. i promise you that in the playoffs mahomes will make at least 2 throws to hopkins that will result in a PI call that will bail them out.

the chiefs became better today. if by nothing else they got another capable body on their team.

• Agree 2

He will be on a snap count throughout the season. Much as I envisioned him being used in Buffalo had we acquired him. Part of me wishes we were the team that got him - experience, good hands and deep ball skills. But maybe he is indeed injured in the foot and jaded in the head. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Buccaneers 1st, but true.

I would much rather have the quicker and faster Cooper. Hopkins will fit perfectly into that role they’ve had Sammy Watkins and JuJu. But they still need Worthy to step up. This could open up Worthy to make more plays.

And Titans too, which I completely forgot about 

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

good. have at it. diva hopkins would fit right in there.

I don't think he's a diva. And if referencing that final drive and him being out Sunday, we were seeing his reaction to "we g2 pull you due to trade talks".

But I'm also not frightened by him. Good player still, helps them a bunch, doubt compensation will be high.

1 hour ago, TH3 said:

16 catches for 173 for season….oof.  Long time since that playoff game against us

This had me scrambling lol titans playoff? Wait no... Arizona? Did I forget we played AZ in SB?

But holy hell. That game really was forever ago

For anyone saying he is washed or that the offseason MCL injury is a major factor now, I don't buy that for one second.  The Chiefs have one of the best front office's in the entire NFL right now.  If they are trading for D Hop, it's only because they've done a thorough investigation and they believe without a doubt he is 100% healthy and will help them win a 3rd straight Super Bowl.  Even if he has lost a step, good luck covering him in the red zone where the Chiefs have had some issues so far this season.  He absolutely helps to solve that problem.  Right now KC has a very good to elite defense, very good to great special teams, the best front office/coaching staff in the NFL, and the best QB in the game.  Throw in DHop and if their 7-0 record didn't give you reason to pause before, it certainly should now.  

If I'm Buffalo I'm seriously considering looking for help at safety and on the D.line if I seriously believe the team can win it all this season.

Edited by Buffalo4Life01
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Hopkins isn't a gamechanger anymore but he fills a pretty big need on that Chiefs team. We made our WR move so I'm fine with no Hopkins but sucks the Chiefs got him. Probably happier they got him over a guy like Kupp though.

Still think we need safety/d-line help

4 minutes ago, Buffalo4Life01 said:

For anyone saying he is washed or that the offseason MCL injury is a major factor now, I don't buy that for one second.  The Chiefs have one of the best front office's in the entire NFL right now.  If they are trading for D Hop, it's only because they've done a thorough investigation and they believe without a doubt he is 100% healthy and will help them win a 3rd straight Super Bowl.  Even if he has lost a step, good luck covering him in the red zone where the Chiefs have had some issues so far this season.  He absolutely helps to solve that problem.  Right now KC has a very good to elite defense, very good to great special teams, the best front office/coaching staff in the NFL, and the best QB in the game.  Throw in DHop and if their 7-0 record didn't give you reason to pause before, it certainly should now.  

If I'm Buffalo I'm seriously considering looking for help at safety and on the D.line if I seriously believe the team can win it all this season.

I think part of this move is their front office knowing the juju injury is going to be nagging  too though.  So this move is like one step back one and a half steps forward.  The people saying it doesn’t matter at all I don’t agree with but I don’t agree with the ‘all hope is lost people’ either lol 

if it was on top of a healthy juju and they were getting one of brown/rice back it’d be a little scarier for me 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

7 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I think part of this move is their front office knowing the juju injury is going to be nagging  too though.  So this move is like one step back one and a half steps forward.  The people saying it doesn’t matter at all I don’t agree with but I don’t agree with the ‘all hope is lost people’ either lol 

if it was on top of a healthy juju and they were getting one of brown/rice back it’d be a little scarier for me 

Sure.  I agree with this take as well.  They guy they are getting is not Randy Moss in his prime.  But assuming he is healthy and motivated, I would not be surprised if he puts up huge numbers the rest of the season.  Look at who he has had throwing the ball to him for his entire career.  This must seem like Christmas has come early this year.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Like with cooper, the QB they have both played with this year had a lot to do with their numbers. Chiefs were desperate for WR help and didn’t lock in either Adams or cooper. Hopkins has been a bit of a Bills killer over the years but I’d rather they got him at this point in his career than either of the other two. I also feel like he’s always hurt 

Huh? He played all 17 games last year and had 1,057 yards / 7 TDs / 14.1 ypr. He remains a very good player still but has been stuck in a terrible offense in TN. It always wows me when Bills fans rip on a manifestly productive player who gets traded to a team they don't like. If he had been traded to the Bills instead of KC, the hosannas here would be loud.

47 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

He will be on a snap count throughout the season. Much as I envisioned him being used in Buffalo had we acquired him. Part of me wishes we were the team that got him - experience, good hands and deep ball skills. But maybe he is indeed injured in the foot and jaded in the head. 

He was on a trading-block snap count this past Sunday. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Now come the outrage posts that Beane should have traded for him so KC wouldn't get him (and somehow blaming McD)

Edited by stevewin
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I said when we discussed this a few weeks back that I think Hopkins on film looks pretty done and the name I gave of a guy I'd rather pursue was Amari Cooper FWIW. I'm not surprised that this is happening. The Chiefs are desperate for outside receiver help and he was the last vet on the market really. I think they will try and use him more as an intermediate target because at the moment their offense is dump off to Kelce or a back or deep shot to Worthy. Hopkins can still give them something inbetween I think. But he isn't the guy he was. I don't think he offers a ton now down the field. 

Again, he had a good season last year. I think he's been on the trading block the last couple of weeks and that the Titans were protecting their asset.