Chiefs may trade for WR Hopkins

Magox

45 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Honestly, for a 5th I would've taken him and let shavers walk. While I don't think Hopkins is a 100yard a game guy, I still think he's halfway decent 

Shavers is not on the roster. he is PS

Edited by Matt_In_NH

47 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Honestly, for a 5th I would've taken him and let shavers walk. While I don't think Hopkins is a 100yard a game guy, I still think he's halfway decent 

Playoff football with our wr group of Cooper, Hopkins, Shakir, Coleman, Samuel would have looked solid. Cooper and Hopkins are both guys that D's have to focus on at big situations. That in itself would open everything up for guys like Shakir and Kincaid, not to mention RB's out of the backfield. 

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I don’t get why the Titans even bothered for a 5th. That’s borderline nothing. Better off just keeping his production for another 8 games. 

Because they are going nowhere fast and getting the 10 million they owed him off the books is good for them.   

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Beane won by getting Cooper before KC and the crazy amount of WR injuries to SF and TB

Yes and I am not complaining as I love the move for Cooper. But we traded a 3rd for him while KC a 5th for Hopkins. That is a pretty big difference. CLE actually did ok if you think about as I think they only gave up like a 5th or 6th for Cooper two years ago and got back a 3rd now. 

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

regular season

where'd you see this?   I'd give a 2 for Kupp for Rams to eat his $ this year which they are apparently willing to 

Yeah….because von was injured in the playoffs….

11 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Yes and I am not complaining as I love the move for Cooper. But we traded a 3rd for him while KC a 5th for Hopkins. That is a pretty big difference. CLE actually did ok if you think about as I think they only gave up like a 5th or 6th for Cooper two years ago and got back a 3rd now. 

Cooper is better than Hopkins, two years younger and cost us next to nothing on the cap. 

Sounds like Tennessee is eating half of Hopkins prorated cap, which leaves about 2.6M the Chiefs have to take on, compared to 800K for Cooper.  

Better player, younger player, 2M cheaper this year = a 3rd vs the 5th KC gave up.

It's also likely an audition for Cooper to get a 1-2 year extension with us, whereas Hopkins would be a straight rental.  Not to say he won't re-sign with KC this off-season, but Hopkins is at the mercenary portion of his career.  Cooper could still have a multi-year deal left in him if the money/fit is right. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Apples and Oranges.  

Far be it for me to defend McDermott in the postseason, but they've been hit pretty hard with a cluster of injuries at the WR position.  Two of them being potentially season ending.  

They happened before the trade deadline.  

When we lost Tre White last year, we made a trade for Rasul Douglas. 

There are only so many moves to make when you start losing major pieces and/or multiple players at one position group entering/in the playoffs.

If this happened to Kansas City and they had to play in the playoffs without the ability to trade for a Hopkins, then we can discuss if the "woe is me" attitude from their fans is warranted... because it would be.   Just like it was for us last year.   

Buffalo was ridiculously healthy for a few seasons, notably in 2020 and 2021, which predictably gave the false impression that a team should be expected to have all their starters by the playoffs.  This is such a ridiculous assumption to make, but based on the fact that until late 2022 they had almost no significant injuries on either side of the ball.  Tre going down in late 2022 followed by Miller ended that fantasy, but the reality is teams can and do lose contributors all the time.  And still make due.  

Yet, almost no one ever looks at their good fortune...as in having a healthy OL for all of 2023.  Heck, their offense has been exceptionally healthy since 2020.  

5 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Buffalo was ridiculously healthy for a few seasons, notably in 2020 and 2021, which predictably gave the false impression that a team should be expected to have all their starters by the playoffs.  This is such a ridiculous assumption to make, but based on the fact that until late 2022 they had almost no significant injuries on either side of the ball.  Tre going down in late 2022 followed by Miller ended that fantasy, but the reality is teams can and do lose contributors all the time.  And still make due.  

Yet, almost no one ever looks at their good fortune...as in having a healthy OL for all of 2023.  Heck, their offense has been exceptionally healthy since 2020.  

Chiefs have been the healthiest team during their run.  Doesn't mean they haven't had injuries, but they aren't losing guys like other teams are. 

The one year they did, the made it to the Super Bowl and those injuries caused them to get demolished by Tampa Bay. 

Two years ago they played a CIN team missing almost their entire OL.  

Last year they played us missing our entire LB room, as well as our WR2 and guys playing with major injuries that shouldn't have even been out there. 

The Chiefs have had to deal with injuries like that once, and its the above mentioned TB Super Bowl game. 

7 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I generally agree with this comment, but the injuries to the Bills defense last season, particularly the LB corps, were well beyond the usual injuries a NFL team faces at that time of they.  Starters were out.  Backups were out.  The Practice Squad guys were used up and they brought in a guy that was literally out of football and on vacation with his family to suit up and play significant snaps in a playoff game.  Given what they had to work with, the Bills did a decent job of holding it together with scissors and duct tape, taking the eventual SB champs down to the final 2 minutes of the game (and the Bills OFFENSE actually had an opportunity, if played correctly, to run out the clock and tie or win the game, but didn't).

1 hour ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I hate to break it to you, but the Chiefs were already going to win the Super Bowl this year WITHOUT Hopkins. This is the Chiefs NFL and we're just visitors right now.

They've had insanely good injury luck the past few years down the stretch, bound to rear its head at some point right??

16 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I generally agree with this comment, but the injuries to the Bills defense last season, particularly the LB corps, were well beyond the usual injuries a NFL team faces at that time of they.  Starters were out.  Backups were out.  The Practice Squad guys were used up and they brought in a guy that was literally out of football and on vacation with his family to suit up and play significant snaps in a playoff game.  Given what they had to work with, the Bills did a decent job of holding it together with scissors and duct tape, taking the eventual SB champs down to the final 2 minutes of the game (and the Bills OFFENSE actually had an opportunity, if played correctly, to run out the clock and tie or win the game, but didn't).

At some point, there can't be an excuse every year.   

That's kind of the world we're living in since 13 seconds..

Team ran out of gas post-Hamlin & Allen had a pretty major injury in '23 / Team was decimated by injury in '24

Ok, valid, but at some point you can't just keep making excuses and blaming injuries. 

THAT SAID...

The Chiefs biggest threat last year was us.  They played a Bills team with a ton of injuries to major parts of the team along with one position group completely wiped out on Defense.   

Chiefs biggest threat the year before was the winner of Buf/Cin.  They got Cin, who played them missing 4/5ths of their OL.  It showed.  

Chiefs haven't dealt with anything close to that in the postseason aside from the TB Super Bowl, in which they looked like a JV team. 

58 minutes ago, ngbills said:

They only got Cooper so cheap because they took on a huge contract. 

If this was the Hopkins from three years ago I might agree with you, he's a high end role player at this point. 

DeAndre Hopkins is on his way to Kansas City.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the Titans and Chiefs have completed a trade that will send the veteran wide receiver to the back-to-back Super Bowl champions. The Titans will get a fifth-round pick that can escalate to a fourth-rounder if certain conditions are met.

When news of the pending deal surfaced on Wednesday morning, there was word that the Titans would pick up some of Hopkins’s salary to facilitate the deal. Per the most recent report, about half of Hopkins’s remaining salary — over $5 million — will be paid by his former team.

Hopkins will have to sign a new contract to reflect the new agreement, so an official announcement may take some time but the Chiefs will have a new offensive piece in their arsenal sooner rather than later.

3 hours ago, eball said:

Yeah, I’m not criticizing the move or saying Hopkins is washed.  I just don’t think it does all that much, although it arguably makes an already strong team a little bit stronger.

They’re going into this week’s game with Worthy, Hardman, Watson, and Sky Moore as their receivers. DHop will definitely move the needle for them. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Beane won by getting Cooper before KC and the crazy amount of WR injuries to SF and TB

this is very true in terms of timing. i mean the one of the only healthy WRs in SF was literally shot four months ago...in the chest.