The MVP Race is 3 Players & Why they Can Win

Wizard

10 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

In the Miami and Jacksonville games, the Bills were so far ahead that Josh Allen did nothing in the second half.

Against Arizona, he had only three passes at halftime.

The Ravens game was an anomaly... statistically his worst performance since his rookie season.

Also, the Bills just added a #1 WR to the team a week ago.

A lot of weird stuff over the first seven games.

My general feeling is that Allen's "pace" is well below where he's going to actually finish the season.

None of that matters in the eyes of the voters. I think Allen is the only player to have 45+ TDs and not win an MVP. It’s happened twice.

• Shocked 1

8 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

In the Miami and Jacksonville games, the Bills were so far ahead that Josh Allen did nothing in the second half.

Against Arizona, he had only three passes at halftime.

The Ravens game was an anomaly... statistically his worst performance since his rookie season.

Also, the Bills just added a #1 WR to the team a week ago.

A lot of weird stuff over the first seven games.

My general feeling is that Allen's "pace" is well below where he's going to actually finish the season.

3/7 games he’s barely thrown the ball for a full half of the game. That isn’t counting the Titans game where he only had 11 pass attempts in the first half which is low.

I doubt that will continue, and his volume stats will improve. But at the same time he’ll probably accumulate some turnovers along the way.

10 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Allen is playing too good for Lamar not to get MVP #3.

In all seriousness, Lamar is having an outstanding season. I don’t think Allen has much of a shot.

Derrick Henry is making things alot easier for Lamar

That will absolutely play into the voters decision...as it should

52 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

Derrick Henry is making things alot easier for Lamar

That will absolutely play into the voters decision...as it should

It absolutely will not 

Again, people here giving voters way too much credit

They discussed Josh Allen on the FS1 show The Facility this morning and whether he can beat out Lamar for MVP.  They didn't even mention Goff.

Shady said Lamar would win it today but Josh can definitely catch up.  James Jones said Josh gets up out of bed and has 40+ Tds every year and that's really hard to do.

Acho said while Lamar is probably having the better season so far, he also thinks Lamar has way more high level weapons than Allen,  so what Josh is doing is arguably more impressive.  And since Acho is a voter he thinks it will be close, IF Allen can maintain what he's doing and build on it with Cooper.

They all agree that if Lamar was removed from the Ravens lineup and Josh was removed from the Bills lineup...the Ravens would still be pretty good, and the Bills would suck.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Wizard said:

There are only 3 real MVP candidates, but there is still a lot of football left.

Derrick Henry:  He is averaging more than a 150 per game. Best RB thus far and really adds an entire dimension that most teams can't slow down. Big games against our Bills and Tampa Bay. If he nears 2000 yards, helps Baltimore secure a top 3 AFC record, and he has nearly 20 touchdowns, these are insane numbers in a very pass-oriented NFL. He is the best non QB in the league right now, and it's not that close.

Josh Allen: His improvement on turnovers, working well with a new receivers, and his ability to take over a game with run also is what makes him a top 3 QB. He should pile enough wins to compete for a top 3 record, and if he can get 30 passing TD's, under 9 ints, and have nearly 10 rushing TD's, he is going to be hard to turn down. Needs a big game against Chiefs or another Top 10 team where "Super Josh" takes over.

Lamar Jackson: Ravens are likely the best team in AFC. Huge wins against Buffalo and a 5 TD performance on Monday Night boosted his stock too. If he is top 3 in passing TD's, QBR, and he has a top 2-3 record, he may win his 3rd.

Prediction of MCP

I believe Henry and Jackson will still put up massive numbers and could win, but they will drown each other out when it comes to voting with Henry finishing 2nd and Hackson in 3rd.

I see Henry getting OPOY, Jackson being a top 3 finisher, and Allen finishing with nearly 4,100 yards, 30 TD's, 8 INT, and 500 yards rushing with 8 rushing TD's

Allen has no chance in hell.

henry,

little chance.

lamar will win it again.

image.thumb.png.9f8ada4a1137b8dfa48616d3b9e2d038.png

This is a better reflection of reality. Mahomes is always in the discussion.  RBs are almost never in the discussion. 

The NFL should change the name of the MVP award to the Tom Brady award, (similar to CY Young for baseball pitchers), and leave the MVP award for a non-QB.

25 minutes ago, Chaos said:

image.thumb.png.9f8ada4a1137b8dfa48616d3b9e2d038.png

This is a better reflection of reality. Mahomes is always in the discussion.  RBs are almost never in the discussion. 

The NFL should change the name of the MVP award to the Tom Brady award, (similar to CY Young for baseball pitchers), and leave the MVP award for a non-QB.

Vegas influence skewers MVP voting more than anything imo. 

I know we’ll have a good season minus significant injuries which is the same for all teams.  With that said, it will be tougher for Lamar when he’s already won MVP twice, and if Henry breaks the rushing record, that’s a tough ask.  Josh has a good shot, but win at least two of the three tough outs in KC, SF, and Detroit.  ThT plus maybe a 12-5, to 13 win season and Josh may make a serious run.  I’d still like Josh rather have a SB win.  We finally get a 57 year SB drought off our back.

I wouldn't say only 3 MVP candidates as things can change even on a week to week basis. Lamar/Henry out in front. Bills will need to finish with better record and Josh better stats to win award. Goff is in the running as well. Can't count out Mahomes despite poor start if they can remain unbeaten and he turns things around.