The MVP Race is 3 Players & Why they Can Win

Wizard

There are only 3 real MVP candidates, but there is still a lot of football left.

Derrick Henry:  He is averaging more than a 150 per game. Best RB thus far and really adds an entire dimension that most teams can't slow down. Big games against our Bills and Tampa Bay. If he nears 2000 yards, helps Baltimore secure a top 3 AFC record, and he has nearly 20 touchdowns, these are insane numbers in a very pass-oriented NFL. He is the best non QB in the league right now, and it's not that close.

Josh Allen: His improvement on turnovers, working well with a new receivers, and his ability to take over a game with run also is what makes him a top 3 QB. He should pile enough wins to compete for a top 3 record, and if he can get 30 passing TD's, under 9 ints, and have nearly 10 rushing TD's, he is going to be hard to turn down. Needs a big game against Chiefs or another Top 10 team where "Super Josh" takes over.

Lamar Jackson: Ravens are likely the best team in AFC. Huge wins against Buffalo and a 5 TD performance on Monday Night boosted his stock too. If he is top 3 in passing TD's, QBR, and he has a top 2-3 record, he may win his 3rd.

Prediction of MCP

I believe Henry and Jackson will still put up massive numbers and could win, but they will drown each other out when it comes to voting with Henry finishing 2nd and Hackson in 3rd.

I see Henry getting OPOY, Jackson being a top 3 finisher, and Allen finishing with nearly 4,100 yards, 30 TD's, 8 INT, and 500 yards rushing with 8 rushing TD's

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MJS said:

Henry doesn't have a chance. It will be Lamar Jackson for sure, unless Josh Allen and the Bills manage to get a higher seed than the Ravens.

They’ll give Josh his first before they give Lamar his third if it’s reasonably close imo especially given the bills were ‘supposed’ to take a big step back on offense.

It very well may not be reasonably close though haha we’ll have to wait and see..that ravens offense is ridiculous 

• Like (+1) 1

Don’t give that thing any weight anymore. 

There’s been three in recent years that I, and many others have, disagreed with:

Manning over Brees (even though he got revenge and beat him in the SB), 2009

Rodgers over JJ Watt, 2014

Rodgers over Josh, 2020

Those 3 even though I disagreed with the choice, still could make sense of the actual winner being who they were. 

Last season though? Lamar over Josh? Yeah. Laughable. Guy had 10 more rushing TDs than “the best dual threat QB in the league”. 

Edited by Sojourner
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Allen is playing too good for Lamar not to get MVP #3.

In all seriousness, Lamar is having an outstanding season. I don’t think Allen has much of a shot.

Yep. I've been critical of Lamar Jackson in the past, but he is legitimately balling out this year.

BUT... it's a long season with ebbs and flows. Let's see if he can keep it up all year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Henry doesn't have a chance. It will be Lamar Jackson for sure, unless Josh Allen and the Bills manage to get a higher seed than the Ravens.

Very little chance for Allen, he’s on pace for 29 passing TDs and 3600 yards. Thats not getting it done.

The good news, Allen doesn’t give 2 craps about winning MVP. 

Just now, MJS said:

Yep. I've been critical of Lamar Jackson in the past, but he is legitimately balling out this year.

BUT... it's a long season with ebbs and flows. Let's see if he can keep it up all year.

Agreed. He has been outstanding so far, though. Amazing what being in a great offensive system for 5 years can do!

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

They’ll give Josh his first before they give Lamar his third if it’s reasonably close imo especially given the bills were ‘supposed’ to take a big step back on offense.

It very well may not be reasonably close though haha we’ll have to wait and see..that ravens offense is ridiculous 

I don't agree. I think they would happily give it to Lamar Jackson every single year if they could.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

I don't agree. I think they would happily give it to Lamar Jackson every single year if they could.

They got burned a bit last year…yea it’s just a regular season award but they reached a bit giving it to him and he still didn’t shake the underwhelming in the playoffs label really so it didn’t come off well.  

could be wishful thinking but I don’t think they’ll be in a hurry to give it to Lamar again if other guys are comparable 

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I watched MVP Lamar fumble the game away against the Bengals in OT. The Bengals kicker missed a FG and Henry broke a long run and the Ravens won. 

Now I need to hear about how “Lamar is balling out” and Allen has no shot. 

Nobody has any idea what they’re talking about.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ToGoGo said:

I watched MVP Lamar fumble the game away against the Bengals in OT. The Bengals kicker missed a FG and Henry broke a long run and the Ravens won. 

Can’t disagree about giving it to him if the season ended today but a lot of the buzz is recency bias…Lamar is coming off a hugeee game.  There’s a lot of season left though 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

To be fair, he was “balling out” yesterday. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

They got burned a bit last year…yea it’s just a regular season award but they reached a bit giving it to him and he still didn’t shake the underwhelming in the playoffs label really so it didn’t come off well.  

could be wishful thinking but I don’t think they’ll be in a hurry to give it to Lamar again if other guys are comparable 

You are giving the media way too much credit lol. They would love to give it to him every single year. 

11 minutes ago, Sojourner said:

To be fair, he was “balling out” yesterday. 

I don't think Allen will get it, but MVP has a serious recency bias. Big performances at the end of the year in prime time matchups are the most important thing. That put Lamar over the edge last year. Bills vs Chiefs and Bills vs Lions are pretty big at the end of the year, but no prime time. The sports media is like a hive mind that latches on to whatever they saw last.

Notice I called them sports media and not sports "journalists".

Edited by DapperCam
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Let’s see if Baltimore can keep it up over their next five weeks, where they’ll be matched up against some tougher defenses (Cle, Den, Pit and LAC).  I’m really looking forward to their game against the Steelers especially, as I actually think the Steelers could be better than everyone is giving them credit for at the moment.  And if Baltimore has some losses mixed into these games while we go on a run, Josh will vault right back to the top of the discussion.  

MVP is so much about winning right now, which means Mahomes will be in the discussion unless the Chiefs totally collapse.  And if Detroit keeps up the way they’re playing with Goff being extremely accurate, he’s going to keep creeping into the conversation too.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Very little chance for Allen, he’s on pace for 29 passing TDs and 3600 yards. Thats not getting it done.

The good news, Allen doesn’t give 2 craps about winning MVP. 

Agreed. He has been outstanding so far, though. Amazing what being in a great offensive system for 5 years can do!

He does care...but it is the other MVP....of the SuperBowl.  Go Bills !!!

1 minute ago, No_Matter_What said:

We are 6-7 games in with 10-11 games to go.

Jackson, Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, Stroud, Goff, Daniels, Love, Darnold can easily become MVP, it is simply too soon to judge. Some other probably too.

And Henry has almost no real shot lol.

plus jackson always gets hurt in the middle of the year