Keon Coleman 4th In Rookie Receiving Yards

iwishitwerecolder

11 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Wow. Ok. I had bit into that narrative as well.

I still think Cooper *helps*, if for making coordinators spend time on his film and being a vet mentor but I hadn't realized that Coop wasn't on the field for those plays.

If anything Keon opened up Coop on that TD!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, iwishitwerecolder said:

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/nfl-rookie-receiving-yards-leaders-2024
so far this season Coleman’s looked really good for a rookie with 326 receiving yards and 2 tuddies.. let’s see how he keeps it up. He's ahead of names like Marvin Harrison Jr, Rome Odunze, and Xavier Worthy the “fastest human alive” 🤦🤣 If coleman can somehow get his way to 900-1K receiving yards and 5 touchdowns in his first year we may be in line for the next great bills wide receiver!! Go bills

And look at where Worthy is at?  Everyone saying he would be one of the best WR 9th

Harris JR.  The Best of the Best out of the draft? right? Hands Down? 5th. And thats Damn good considering the trash team he is in. 

At least they got one right :D :D

11 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Thanks for posting this.  I kept hearing Cooper entirely tranformed the Bills passing game.  But he played something like 19 snaps and contributed nothing to Keon's 100+ yard game.  

This bodes well for the future.  As Cooper learns the offense, and stays on the field more, he may indeed transform the passing game going forward by drawing coverage away from other targets.  Hopefully, the best is yet to come.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

coleman isn't up to where we need him to be yet.  some of his routes have been kinda awful, and he's not a polished blocker yet.  he also, as advertised, does not get much seperation.

the special thing about him to me is what he does with the ball in his hands.  he does have good hands too, but when he has the ball his balance and coordination lets him make small moves that lead to big gains.  he did it vs tenn and vs baltimore.  turning short catches into big gains breaks the D's back.  if he gets his routes better and builds more rapport with josh on the scrambles he could crack 1k this season.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Thanks for posting this.  I kept hearing Cooper entirely tranformed the Bills passing game.  But he played something like 19 snaps and contributed nothing to Keon's 100+ yard game.  

This bodes well for the future.  As Cooper learns the offense, and stays on the field more, he may indeed transform the passing game going forward by drawing coverage away from other targets.  Hopefully, the best is yet to come.  

I certainly think he helps. The change doesn't come in a vacuum. Teams were coming out of Cover 2 to sit in routes and as we saw Keon can be deadly on slants. If they want to single up Coop, good for them.

• Like (+1) 1

As someone who was vocally anti-Coleman, I must admit...

Kid has looked good. I think he's getting better and better as the season progresses, and I think having Cooper to learn from will do wonders for him. It reminds me of when Josh Allen spent the first part of his rookie season without a viable mentor, then the Bills brought in Derek Anderson and Matt Barkley. Same kind of thing. Who did Coleman have to mentor him from an on-field standpoint? Samuel? Not great. 

I realize Coleman CAN do the 50/50 jump ball stuff and do it effectively, but what I like seeing most from him and what I've been most encouraged by his his YAC. Seeing him break one tackle or juke one defender and then pick up and extra 20-40 yards has been awesome. Rare post-catch ability for a man his size. THAT'S how I'd like to see the Bills use him: Concentrate on getting him the ball in space and on the move. Once he gets moving, with his size and at his speed, he's not easy to bring down. More of that, please.

Lastly, enough of the "everybody eats" and "easing the rookie in" stuff.

Cooper, Coleman, Shakir, Kincaid, Cook. 11 Personnel. THAT should be the primary offense moving forward. 

• Like (+1) 4

dude is a playmaker; still not sure he is a "true" #1 WR.  Would like to keep Cooper around for another year, but barring that, need to draft a true 1.  Cooper/other WR 1 would be a great tandum to have for the 2nd half of Allen's career.  

48 minutes ago, Logic said:

As someone who was vocally anti-Coleman, I must admit...

Kid has looked good. I think he's getting better and better as the season progresses, and I think having Cooper to learn from will do wonders for him. It reminds me of when Josh Allen spent the first part of his rookie season without a viable mentor, then the Bills brought in Derek Anderson and Matt Barkley. Same kind of thing. Who did Coleman have to mentor him from an on-field standpoint? Samuel? Not great. 

I realize Coleman CAN do the 50/50 jump ball stuff and do it effectively, but what I like seeing most from him and what I've been most encouraged by his his YAC. Seeing him break one tackle or juke one defender and then pick up and extra 20-40 yards has been awesome. Rare post-catch ability for a man his size. THAT'S how I'd like to see the Bills use him: Concentrate on getting him the ball in space and on the move. Once he gets moving, with his size and at his speed, he's not easy to bring down. More of that, please.

Lastly, enough of the "everybody eats" and "easing the rookie in" stuff.

Cooper, Coleman, Shakir, Kincaid, Cook. 11 Personnel. THAT should be the primary offense moving forward. 

agreed.  Then go big sometimes (short yardage, etc), put in Knox and Davis (for Cook).  

• Like (+1) 1

Steve Smith Sr says we've been using Keon wrong...

“Their young rookie receiver, Keon Coleman, he’s a heck of a football player. I believe that they have put him out of position.  Give him a mismatch against a smaller DB. When he was playing against Jalen Ramsey against Miami, they won that game, but he was getting clamped down.  If you put this young man in the slot against bigger linebackers that are not as fast as him in that short area, you give him a chance to really impact the game.  Putting him outside as X wide receiver, stationary stand, no motion, saying our guy can beat your guy, man he's not going to do it, not consistently.  It's an unfair spot you're putting a rookie in because they don't have a fix."   

This was before the Cooper signing.  It'll be interesting to see how his role changes.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, finn said:

Would you mind linking to it? I can't find it. 

It's surprisingly tough to find it isolated. The best I can find is the game center and the highlight section 

https://www.nfl.com/games/chiefs-at-49ers-2024-reg-7

It's under "Mahomes' second INT of day goes into Lenoir's hands in third quarter" 

Worthy gets press at the line and then stumbles a few steps after the release and falls down. Not much world class sprinting can do for you when you're there.

• Thank you (+1) 1

But I've gotten off topic

That Coleman is #4 in rookie pass yards, with (3rd WR as Brock Bowers is looking like an absolute beast, top TE yards in the league) and is ahead of Marvin Harrison Jr, Odunze, Worthy, Legette and McConkey...

Look I know he has Josh Allen throwing to him, but Worthy has Mahomes. Before Sunday I was talking myself into 600 yards and multiple touchdowns is a solid rookie receiver for a late 1st/2nd rounder but now it's looking like maybe 800-1000?

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/21/2024 at 2:50 PM, Warriorspikes51 said:

We could have had BTJ and Keon if we really wanted!!!  Oh well 

Explain that to me, please, step by step.
To draft BTJ, we would have had to trade up into the 19-22 range.  We did not have a 3rd round pick.

On 10/21/2024 at 3:34 PM, iwishitwerecolder said:

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/nfl-rookie-receiving-yards-leaders-2024
so far this season Coleman’s looked really good for a rookie with 326 receiving yards and 2 tuddies.. let’s see how he keeps it up. He's ahead of names like Marvin Harrison Jr, Rome Odunze, and Xavier Worthy the “fastest human alive” 🤦🤣 If coleman can somehow get his way to 900-1K receiving yards and 5 touchdowns in his first year we may be in line for the next great bills wide receiver!! Go bills

He’s doing good but still has a long way to go as a WR.   He needs a lot of work on his route running and think there’s some things he can still clean up with contested catches.  

Now that there is a legit WR like Cooper on the roster, I think it’s really going to help Coleman.  

• Agree 1