the Daboll/Schoen regime - on the brink, it seems

dave mcbride

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

They tried to trade up for a QB in this past draft and had no problem with that being broadcast on Hard Knocks. I think that was their plan: one season to see if he could develop and a second as a bridge. They just couldn’t complete a trade up to get a QB they wanted in the draft. 

Exactly.  Ownership was clearly supportive of them trying to get one of the top QBs in the 2024 draft despite the financial commitment to Jones - so it would make total sense for them to be given that same opportunity in 2025.

• Like (+1) 1

Schoen and Daboll remind me of some junior colleagues I knew at work who got the opportunity to take on lead responsibility.

But they weren't all humble and hungry, they were swagging it with an "I Got This" attitude.

And they stumbled.

The worst thing that happened to Daboll was probably being named AP NFL Coach of the Year for 2022. 

I think it totally went to his head.

• Like (+1) 1

Daboll never really seemed to be the type that would succeed at head coaching to me, IMO.  Too hot headed, too rash, too emotional...great OC...does not have the proper traits for a good Head Coach which needs to be far more CEO than X's and O's related. 

Edited by Big Turk

12 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

If we think Schoen has failed….What do we think about Dan Morgan?!!

Dan Morgan didn't trade a boatload of picks for the opportunity to draft Bryce Young. He walked into the worst roster situation in the league this season (his first as GM). What's he supposed to do?   

1 hour ago, eball said:

You think the Bills' OL is just "average?"  Anybody have the latest rankings?

Now we're going to get into a debate about which metrics constitute the level of play for that unit.  And there'll be no agreement, but in terms of running the ball I based it off their 3 primary RB's are averaging 4.3 ypc (630 yards on 147 carries) which is about league average.  In only 2 games have those backs surpassed over 100 yards rushing (at NYJ and at MIA).  

Way off topic anyway.  

8 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I called it back when they paid Jones and snubbed Barkley.

Some of these GM's are clueless or maybe they just over-think things.

Honestly they shouldnt have signed either.     Barkley is playing well now because teams cant load the box against him.  With the Giants he was averaging under 4 yards a carry and missed an average of 4 games a year.   The Giants were not the type of team to be in a position to spend 12.5 million dollars a year on a running back, especially a 27-year-old running back with an injury history.    That said, the Jones contract doomed them.   

What they should have done was not signed either of them and used the 52 million they would have saved to bring in Kirk Cousins, Baker Mayfield, or Sam Darnold and looked to draft a younger quarterback as soon as possible.   

• Agree 1