Keeping it in perspective, Bills win percentage

zow2

Several people are lamenting today that the national sports shows are largely ignoring the Bills win over Tennessee.  We all have to keep in mind, the Bills wins this season are over teams that have a combined winning percentage of around .256.    Obviously had they beaten Baltimore or Houston that would be higher, but .256 is not going to move the needle for most media.  The Bills have a reputation of putting up good stats against the Tennessee's of the world.

I actually don't mind if Buffalo skates into the playoffs this year by feasting on the mediocre to bad teams.   If they lose to Balt, Hous, KC I can live with that since Buffalo would have the revenge payback all lined up for the playoff games.  McDermott is great in revenge games and i want to have that chip in the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

We’ll make the playoffs. Hell, we have to be close to some sort of record being 3.5 games up after just 7 weeks. 

That said, I agree with you 100%. We beat awful teams like we should. We lose to teams with talent. I really think Cooper opens this offense up wonderfully.

The defense? They need to wake up in the first half. If McClappy is so good at half time adjustments, I can’t figure out why he can’t prepare the team to be ready in the first. 

We will make the playoffs but it will be an early exit if we don’t fix some glaring issues (like tackling) on D. Getting Milano back at some point will be huge though. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

We’ll make the playoffs. Hell, we have to be close to some sort of record being 3.5 games up after just 7 weeks. 

That said, I agree with you 100%. We beat awful teams like we should. We lose to teams with talent. I really think Cooper opens this offense up wonderfully.

The defense? They need to wake up in the first half. If McClappy is so good at half time adjustments, I can’t figure out why he can’t prepare the team to be ready in the first. 

We will make the playoffs but it will be an early exit if we don’t fix some glaring issues (like tackling) on D. Getting Milano back at some point will be huge though. 

"We lose to teams with Talent"

This I guess is because they lost to baltimore and houston?  They were pretty damn banged up vs houston and yes they didn't have mixon and their big guy went out during the game but the bills were kind of decimated and on the road still were 20-20 with seconds to play.  I would love them to get a shot at Houston again, love it.  

also I really don't see Milano doing much of anything that will make a big difference this year.  he has missed a lot of football.  I guess if he is ready in december he can treat thost pats games like preseason working up to his normal self but I just don't see him being a huge difference maker this year.  Would be awesome if he is though.

A few thoughts-

- the Bills are beating team they should, that isn't chatter worthy

- JA17 isn't hurdling defenders or air raiding the team to victory, also not chatter worthy

- JA17 is quietly have a turnover free season, exciting for Bills, media, not so much

- The Bills lost handily to the league darlings in Nat TV- they're just another team right now

- everybody knows this team will win the East, everybody knows they'll win a playoff game- can they overcome when it matters most, and be a complete team?  history suggests no, and until they do, they're relegated to where they are.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

I really don't see Milano doing much of anything that will make a big difference this year... I just don't see him being a huge difference maker this year.

He doesn't have to be a huge difference maker.

He just has to not be Dorian WIlliams.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Taro Nimbus said:

Even if the Bills won against either the Texans or Ravens, the media would still drool over a 2-5 Jets team because of the love affair with Rodgers.  

Plus the national media is always going to play to the bigger markets for as long as they can.  They can still sell Jets talk for now.  Eventually the conversations will pivot more to the teams still in the playoff race and things like MVP, both of which should include the Bills & Josh by then.

18 minutes ago, Taro Nimbus said:

Even if the Bills won against either the Texans or Ravens, the media would still drool over a 2-5 Jets team because of the love affair with Rodgers.  

I don't see any media drooling over the Jets now. Preseason they had some promise based on getting Rodgers back and the defense. They were 7-10 last year with terrible QB play.

But the defense has regressed and the concerns about the OLine that most predicted have largely come true. 

Adams is not going to fix their Oline issues. 

22 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Still relatively early in the season for film and tape on other teams, so there’s that. 

Think of it like boxing, if I have tape on an orthodox fighter and he comes in southpaw all I can do is react until I get to the corner and can have a different, full view, perspective of the fight from the coaches to pick up on any tells or signs the opponent is giving. 

At least the adjustments after half time are of quality where teams are struggling to his changes. It would be nice to have a full game of control, sure. But as long as he’s making amendments to the scheme and game plan that come out in a positive effect for us? Keep at it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Obsession with what the national media says is juvenile.

It's one thing when the bills were mired in the drought and twitter coverage wasn't prevalent and we were desperate for any bills footage during training camp. It's different to complain about the specific narratives that some shows/pundits have when so much content is out there. If it bothers you, trophies are all that will fix it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Several people are lamenting today that the national sports shows are largely ignoring the Bills win over Tennessee.  We all have to keep in mind, the Bills wins this season are over teams that have a combined winning percentage of around .256.    Obviously had they beaten Baltimore or Houston that would be higher, but .256 is not going to move the needle for most media.  The Bills have a reputation of putting up good stats against the Tennessee's of the world.

I actually don't mind if Buffalo skates into the playoffs this year by feasting on the mediocre to bad teams.   If they lose to Balt, Hous, KC I can live with that since Buffalo would have the revenge payback all lined up for the playoff games.  McDermott is great in revenge games and i want to have that chip in the playoffs. 

McD's great in revenge games? We've lost to the same team in the playoffs in 3 out of the last 4 years, including one that he literally completely melted down in and blew himself. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

20 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I don't see any media drooling over the Jets now.

Not exactly the media but vegas putting jets as 2.5 favs over Pitt in Pitt was crazy.  Called that out here a few times last week. Considered making my first online bet with that.  

Edited by sleeby
  • Agree 1

There’s a lot more nuance than just ‘win percentage’ .  if we had just eked out a 13-10 win against that defense that’s still a win, but lighting them up should definitely be worth something discussion wise 

also the main reason they only have one win was will Levis attempting borderline psychotic plays in close games and he didn’t even play in this one 🤣  

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

8 minutes ago, sleeby said:

Not exactly the media but vegas putting jets as 2.5 favs over Pitt in Pitt was crazy.  Called that out here a few times last week. Considered making my first online bet with that.  

Yeah that seems like a bad line... Probably the uncertainty at QB for Pittsburgh was playing a role in that but who knows what Vegas thinks

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Rachel Dratch Television GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Sad 1

Look, the pundits said this season would be a big step back for the Bills and they would not win the AFC East. They talked up teams such as the Dolphins and Jets. Thus far it’s not happening, so the Bills will be ignored . If they lose to the Chiefs or 49ers , the naysayers will be back in a New York second. 

If media narratives — however false or incomplete — about the Bills bother you, ignore it. Use your eyes to determine if this is a good team and a great QB, or not. Or just listen to experts you respect out there who are balanced and fair in evaluating the BIlls and Josh — they are out there.

My advice likely won't get you to change your habits but give it a try.