Scripted play analysis Daboll v. Dorsey v. Brady (The Court Case of the Millenium) Part Deux

FireChans

I also think Brady scripts plays for a different reason.  Dorsey and Dabol were focused on what WE do well in order to maximize our chance of scoring.  Brady seems to want to use the first drive or two to figure out what THEY are doing in order to have success throughout the game.  When he first took over I remember him starting the game with that terrible screen pass to Diggs that never worked but it showed how they were defending Diggs and helped him set up plays to take advantage of that defense.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

I also think Brady scripts plays for a different reason.  Dorsey and Dabol were focused on what WE do well in order to maximize our chance of scoring.  Brady seems to want to use the first drive or two to figure out what THEY are doing in order to have success throughout the game.  When he first took over I remember him starting the game with that terrible screen pass to Diggs that never worked but it showed how they were defending Diggs and helped him set up plays to take advantage of that defense.

I agree with this. I think his first 15 is ALL about setting stuff up for later / trying to force the D to show its hand. I'm fine with some of that but the balance feels off. It should be the time of the game you can take advantage of a D on its heels.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, FireChans said:

So, last year I made a little topic due to our penchant for slow starts.

Common knowledge among the NFL is that the first 12-15 plays from scrimmage is "scripted," partly based on what the team thinks the opposing team is going to do on defense and partly based on what was worked on throughout the week.

I remember the Bills had a great run of having a solid script.  I think we had a streak scoring on the opening possession going at one point.

So I decided to do the analysis from the "Josh Allen is elite" era.  The script is probably the biggest thing the OC does from a gameplan perspective and is much easier to measure than "adjustments."

I'd like to re-open the court case and add Joe Brady to the mix.

Daboll:

2020: 7/16 games had a TD or FG on opening drive

2021: 11/17 games had a TD or FG on opening drive

Dorsey:

2022: 3 straight to open the year, and 4 of our first 6 but ultimately 6/16 on the year.

2023:  4/10 - Dorsey fired

Brady

2023:  2/7  - Brady took over after Broncos

2024: 3/7 - so far

So really when you look at the numbers:

Daboll opening drive score% - 54.5%

Dorsey - 38%

Brady - 35.7%

So my eyes are not deceiving me. There's obvious gameplan and talent related factors, but there has been a clear decline in scripted scoring drives since the Daboll era.

Lots of room for Brady to improve here. It's early as an OC for him, and I think he has done okay figuring out the opposing defenses so far, but your first 12-15 plays NEED to be money.

IMO, they are also a good indicator of offensive coaching.  Here's the Chiefs numbers the last 2 years, for reference (and we have litigated their offensive struggles)

2023: 7/16 (backups played week 18)

2024: 3/6

Reid: 45%

So what say you?

The end result is that Brady is 5-2 this year, ( 6-1 last season) 11-3 overall, it appears he is cognizant of his shortcomings and adjusting, albeit to slowly during games, and with some success, admittedly his scripted plays at the beginning of games leaves much to be desired, I think he will adjust appropriately, jmo. 

Just mentioned this in another thread and thought I’d throw it in here too…we’re 2nd in offensive dvoa after the titans game just ahead of Washington and Detroit but wayyy behind baltimore.  Last year we were third 

offense has been so hard to evaluate

this year because there’s so many objectively bad teams that have good defenses where it just feels like the offense is underperforming against a bad team 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan