Ray Davis and James Cook

Italian Bills

5 hours ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Both are fun to watch, but my main takeaway is that RBs are just a dime a dozen so long as you have everything else in place- scheme, blockers who fit that scheme, a QB defenses have to respect/can’t stack the box against, and runners who simply understand which holes to hit and when. Not saying that guys like him and Cook don’t have certain intangibles that make them above average RBs, but I think as a GM I’d find it almost impossible to ever extend one who wanted to be paid like CMC or Barkley.  

A dime a dozen? Just like wide receivers? We’re gonna need more dimes! Good thing the new stadium won’t have pay phones. ☎️ 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't see it. We're 19th in rush YPA, 19th in rush YPG. It feels like we want to be a balanced offense (we're 8th in rush percentage at 48.86%) but we don't have the interior OL or the run scheme to to be anything more than average.

Those numbers surprise me.  I would guess that is influenced by late running in blowouts 

23 minutes ago, Andrew Son said:

Those numbers surprise me.  I would guess that is influenced by late running in blowouts 

I doubt it. The Dolphins and Jaguars games are the only ones that would apply to. The Titans blowout if anything helped our run efficiency stats because of Davis' big run when the game was already over and Tennessee was ready to get out of the stadium.

You're not the first I've seen to believe the run offense is better than it actually is. I think our high volume of rush attempts is skewing the perception of how efficient we really are. I've noticed 2nd downs in particular are usually 1 yard gains at most, if they even get any positive yardage.

Anyways I can't bring myself to really care. The new look passing offense with Amari Cooper on the field looks even better in all-22 than it did live. For the first time since maybe October of last year I feel like we have a legit downfield passing offense again. Screw establishing the run. Put the fear of God back into these opppsing defenses and everything else will open up.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I doubt it. The Dolphins and Jaguars games are the only ones that would apply to. The Titans blowout if anything helped our run efficiency stats because of Davis' big run when the game was already over and Tennessee was ready to get out of the stadium.

You're not the first I've seen believe the run offense is better than it actually is. I think our high volume of rush attempts is skewing the perception of how efficient we really are. I've noticed 2nd downs in particular are usually 1 yard gains at most.

Anyways I can't bring myself to really care. The new look passing offense with Amari Cooper on the field looks even better in all-22 than it did live. For the first time since maybe October of last year I feel like we have a legit downfield passing offense again. Screw establishing the run. Put the fear of God back into these opppsing defenses and everything else will open up.

Maybe so but we currently have the 2nd best point differential and that includes a blowout loss, so I don’t imagine the game scripts are conducive to rushing stats so far.  I think our rushing attack will rank much higher by year’s end.

And having more of a passing threat will only help that.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

A dime a dozen? Just like wide receivers? We’re gonna need more dimes! Good thing the new stadium won’t have pay phones. ☎️ 

A dime is the chick that takes off her clothes in a laundrymat commercial.

not all her clothes, but just enough to keep my interest for a few extra seconds.

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Andrew Son said:

Maybe so but we currently have the 2nd best point differential and that includes a blowout loss, so I don’t imagine the game scripts are conducive to rushing stats so far.  I think our rushing attack will rank much higher by year’s end.

And having more of a passing threat will only help that.

Even putting the stats aside, I've never once this year felt like we were just imposing our will on the ground. We have a lot of runs that go nowhere or get negative yardage, mixed in with a couple really nice runs, and a lot of 2-3 yard runs on run downs. Which is the definition of an average run offense. And that's to be expected. Our IOL is built more for the pass than the run and Brady is not a mad scientist with his run scheme. It's mostly basic and asks average interior run blockers to just win their rep.

I think adding Cooper could open the run up a bit by giving defenses one extra thing to worry about. I'm still not expecting us to suddenly build a bully run offense or to be better than average. Run enough to keep defenses honest but otherwise let the offense run through its best trait which is Josh throwing the ball downfield.

Edited by HappyDays

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Even putting the stats aside, I've never once this year felt like we were just imposing our will on the ground. We have a lot of runs that go nowhere or get negative yardage, mixed in with a couple really nice runs, and a lot of 2-3 yard runs on run downs. Which is the definition of an average run offense. And that's to be expected. Our IOL is built more the pass than the run and Brady is not a mad scientist with his run scheme. It's mostly basic and asks average interior run blockers to just win their rep.

I think adding Cooper could open the run up a bit by giving defenses one extra thing to worry about. I'm still not expecting us to suddenly build a bully run offense or to be better than average. Run enough to keep defenses honest but otherwise let the offense run through its best trait which is Josh throwing the ball downfield.

Philosophically I believe in more balance.

in previous years our one dimensional high flying offense has been fun.  We’ve scored a bunch of points and won a lot of regular season games.  But come playoff time when things get tight and refs swallow their whistles it becomes easier to slow down our one dimensional approach.  I believe that’s when balance will pay dividends and allow us to win in more than one way.  We at least need a change up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Andrew Son said:

Philosophically I believe in more balance.

in previous years our one dimensional high flying offense has been fun.  We’ve scored a bunch of points and won a lot of regular season games.  But come playoff time when things get tight and refs swallow their whistles it becomes easier to slow down our one dimensional approach.  I believe that’s when balance will pay dividends and allow us to win in more than one way.  We at least need a change up.

I'm all for having an elite run offense but we have to be honest about the personnel and coaching that we have. A lot of our drives are ending early because we're throwing away 2nd downs. At this point we just gotta lean on our strength. We didn't start dominating the Titans because of "balance", we had our new and improved group of weapons run routes downfield and had Josh gun them the ball for big gains. That's our offensive identity now, as it should have been all along.

13 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Yeah Davis had a good game.  How about enjoy it rather than manifesting a RB controversy.  

As if just stating an opinion on a message board in any way affects coaches decisions on playing time.  Taking things a little out of context , like the importance of opinions on here.  Relax.  Do some lite reading.  Get a good dog. This is entertainment, not voodoo!   lol ✌️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1